PDA

View Full Version : Haven't gotten your motorcycle license yet??

jermag24
Sun Jun 24th, 2007, 04:02 PM
After 2 1/2 years riding on a permit, and a ton of excuses, I finally took my riding test. I got my permit in the Springs, and kept putting off taking the test for one reason or another, mainly because only one DMV offered it. Now that I live in Denver, I went the third-party tester route, and wish I would have done it sooner!

If you're putting off, or completely blowing off getting your license, I'm going to try to give you all of the info you need to get legal.

Here is a link to the Colorado DMV requirements for getting a license, and a list of third party testers.

http://www.revenue.state.co.us/mv_dir/wrap.asp?incl=faqdrli/faqdrli22

Basically read the handbook (posted below) and take the written test. Passing this will get you your Motorcycle Instruction Permit. It is good for 3 years, but has limitations (no passengers, riding at night, and must have a licensed rider in the group-not sure if it's still all of these). If you're under 18, you need to have this permit for one year before you get your motorcycle endorsment.

Here's a link to the Motorcycle Operator's Handbook:

http://www.revenue.state.co.us/MV_dir/formspdf/motorcyc.pdf

It is a useful guide to riding, and prepares you for both the written and riding tests.

Next, schedule with a 3rd party tester (highly recommended for more experienced riders or self-studyers), a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course (another great way, with a wealth of info), or the DMV to take the riding course. The last 2 pages of the Motorcycle Operator's Handbook wil guide you through taking the riding test and shows pictures of the course. Once you pass the riding test via one of these methods, all you have to do is go into the DMV to get your license.

Here's a list of Colorado MSF course providers:

http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=CO

Here's a link to RMHD and Jack Arnold's info (the guy who does the testing).

http://www.rmh-d.com/re/dmv_testing.php

A couple of videos that helped too:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4760899748246450490&q=motorcycle+riding+test&total=183&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1139386563852665075&q=motorcycle+riding+test&total=183&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=3

And why a newbie should take a MSF course first:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5674751640597948222&q=msf+rider+course&lr=lang_en&total=11&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=8

I was going to rent an enduro bike to take the test, but decided if I'm going to ride a sportbike, why not test my skill? Oh, I would also recommend going to a dealership/DMV during their off hours to practice on the course in their parking lot. It's painted on, and will give you a reality check! Weaving through offset cones at a walking pace isn't as easy as it sounds on a sportbike! The turns are very sharp too. I showed up 20 minutes early and ran the course a few times as well.

I don't mean to preach, but I've seen alot of temp tags around this summer, and hope these riders are taking their freedom to ride very seriously. I know the licensed riders HATE when a cop shows up someone decides to run.

Even if you have a license, continuing your riding education may prevent you from getting hurt or worse. I plan on taking the MSF course soon for my own benefit.

If this info is posted somewhere else, feel free to delete this. And feel free to add anything I forgot! Jeremy

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Sun Jun 24th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Good post Jermey. Hopefully, those that haven't got the proper credentials heed your advice and move forward in a positive direction regarding this.

jermag24
Sun Jun 24th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Good post Jermey. Hopefully, those that haven't got the proper credentials heed your advice and move forward in a positive direction regarding this.

Thanks man, I'm sure there are other ways of getting a license. It is a good feeling knowing I don't have riding limitations.

RF900guy
Sun Jun 24th, 2007, 06:51 PM
I rode my RF900 for 3 1/2 years without either the M endorsement or even the permit. I got lucky and was never pulled over by the police and made sure I obeyed all the laws to ensure that I didn't. I was looking to trade it in and get something more modern. I was looking at a white Hayabusa. I figured that a white Busa would be a cop target. I signed up for the beginner rider course through Wheels in Motion (in the Springs). It took 3 days (1 weekday evening for about 3 hours, 8 hours on Saturday, and 4 hours on Sunday including tests). It only cost $210 for the three day course and was the best money I have spent since owning a bike.

I think I started to rant there. Anyway, there are several options to getting the M endorsement and I don't know why I waited so long to do it.

James

Scruff Dog
Sun Jun 24th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I let my motorcycle endorsement expire years ago and attempted to pass the DMV cone test on a litre sized sport bike. I failed the first go round. Its a trick to go that slow around tight cornors and not touch your feet to the ground. It was funny, there were several big burly biker guys taking the test on old small displacement jap bikes and steering them like bicycles. I ended up passing the test on a Buel Blast.

jermag24
Sun Jun 24th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I let my motorcycle endorsement expire years ago and attempted to pass the DMV cone test on a litre sized sport bike. I failed the first go round. Its a trick to go that slow around tight cornors and not touch your feet to the ground. It was funny, there were several big burly biker guys taking the test on old small displacement jap bikes and steering them like bicycles. I ended up passing the test on a Buel Blast.

That's funny, when I showed up early to practice I felt like I was 3 feet tall. Suddenly I was stumbling around, trying to inch my way around a u turn with my steering cranked. That video I posted about leaning your bike, not your body, helped alot.

RF900guy
Sun Jun 24th, 2007, 09:24 PM
How does your endorsement expire?

James

Scruff Dog
Mon Jun 25th, 2007, 09:33 AM
How does your endorsement expire?

James

Move from one state to another and neglect to ask them to include your motorcycle endorsement on your new license.

RF900guy
Mon Jun 25th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I see.

Scruff Dog
Mon Jun 25th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Its hard to imagine that I was ever at a point in life that I thought I'd never ride again. I plan now to ride as long as I can toss my leg over seat. And at that point, I'll probably get a step through Vespa.

tarded400
Mon Jun 25th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Wow! Great thread. Definatly going to forward it to a friend. Hes going to take the MSF course if his wife decides to let him get a bike, but hes looking at an SM like mine, so the course shouldn't be too hard. Thanks for posting those vids!

Crisco
Mon Jun 25th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I took the MSF with Ricky Orlando and I told all my friends who are looking to get a bike to take that class.

It really shows you if you are ready or not to ride a bike.

jermag24
Mon Jun 25th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I took the MSF with Ricky Orlando and I told all my friends who are looking to get a bike to take that class.

It really shows you if you are ready or not to ride a bike.

I worked with Ricky Orlando, at the old Cycles of Boulder, when I was 16. I knew he raced, but had no idea at what level until I saw him again at PPIR. Any MSF course will be useful I'm sure.

clustermagnet
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 02:50 PM
pffft, who needs a license

noInsurance
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 10:33 PM
Waited over two years, my permit said it was good for 3 years. I call the cop shop and asked them what i do with a permit. They said ride like normal. You dont need to ride with anyone that has a licence. So I did. My friend did the same thing. His front tire got hit by a car while he was at a dead stop at a light. The bitch lied and he had to pay to get his bike fixed. Well thats another story. He got busted for not riding with someone with a licence, and got a ticket. Long story short, we went last weekend and took the driving test at the dog track on a mini buell. What a joke, and 50 bucks later.

tarded400
Sun Jul 1st, 2007, 10:59 PM
I noticed at IMI raceway today they have the license test laid out on the pavement in the parking lot between the dirt and the asphalt "pits"

MAZIN
Tue Jul 24th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Hey for anyone in the north denve area Front Range Community College also does MSF and have multiple areas painted in the parking lot by the daycare center ;)

Crashdaddy
Wed Jul 25th, 2007, 05:29 PM
That is some very good advice. The number of non-licensed riders with no rider training whatsoever would probably amaze you.

Well, if you look at what is happening to the injury and fatality rates, insurance costs and police enforcement policies (and attitudes)maybe not?

The MSF classes are not for novice riders only. Just about any rider can come out of the class (BRC, or ERC) having learned something. And if they didn't, it's their own fault. The other good part of the MSF classes is they are a heck of a fun time if you have a motivated rider coach. Some are in it for the money, and some are in it because they give a damn. Look for the latter. And the money you save on insurance alone is usually enough to pay for the class in a short time. Not to mention possibly saving your life.

Also, although it is cheaper to go to the state and take the riding test, the issue is how long it takes to get an appointment. I know some offices are not as back logged as others, but there are some ridiculous waits for getting in (months sometimes). And if you happen to fail, you will have to schedule a retest. To me, spending $45-$50 and getting the test done right away (and the added bonus of not dealing with a state DMV employee) is well worth it.

One last thing and I will shut up. If you cannot successfully ride your bike (or the bike you plan on riding daily) in the state test, shouldn't that tell you something? Maybe more practice, more training, buy a different bike, or give up riding altogether? Who are you getting over on when you use your buddies dual sport for the test, and then get back on your GSXR1000 or Electra Glide and ride away? :banghead:

Ride safe.

clustermagnet
Thu Jul 26th, 2007, 12:16 PM
this is nonsense. a license is completely unnecessary and is just a waste of time.

gear is optional as well

rider955i
Fri Jul 27th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Yeah I need mine still what way is the quickest and cheapest? Should I borrow my friend's suzuki 350 enduro or should I do you guys think that I would be alright on my 955i?

pilot
Fri Jul 27th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Agreed, nothing wrong with taking the Basic Rider Course--even after years of riding. Heck, I'm scheduled for it. At least so says my parole officer. j/k. But, I'm actually going to take it.

clustermagnet
Fri Jul 27th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Yeah I need mine still what way is the quickest and cheapest? Should I borrow my friend's suzuki 350 enduro or should I do you guys think that I would be alright on my 955i?

tests they do are useless. take whichever bike is easiest to turn with.

Crashdaddy
Sun Jul 29th, 2007, 10:29 PM
tests they do are useless. take whichever bike is easiest to turn with.

Are the New York DMV tests the same as Colorado? Or would you know that factual data?

What part of the test is useless? The hard part?

clustermagnet
Mon Jul 30th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Are the New York DMV tests the same as Colorado? Or would you know that factual data?

What part of the test is useless? The hard part?

all DMVs are useless :D

and the people that work for them :D

i am just pulling your chain ya know? :D

besides that... DMVs are awful and provide no real testing.

example... most... 99.5 percent of drivers in the midwest have NO CLUE what they are doing behind the wheel... they all think they do... but they dont.

i live in Manhattan. I have seen/heard of 3 accidents this year. 1 on FDR (car stalled out causing fender benders) 2nd was a lady (from jersey) drove on the curb knocking people over... 3rd one was a cabby driving into the subway entrance (avoiding an accident)....

so with that said... this is NORMAL behavior for busy traffic, where people pay attention to what is going on.

i've driven in colorado...

its REAL scary. you see accidents every day! several times per day... places where you SHOULDNT have accidents.

clustermagnet
Mon Jul 30th, 2007, 10:25 AM
anyways, i actually took my DMV test in colorado... i did my class with MOST... many years ago....

so with that said... it was a joke... none of the skills they teach you are even NEAR enough for riding on the street.

same goes for cars

Crashdaddy
Mon Jul 30th, 2007, 07:41 PM
anyways, i actually took my DMV test in colorado... i did my class with MOST... many years ago....

so with that said... it was a joke... none of the skills they teach you are even NEAR enough for riding on the street.

same goes for cars

When did you take a class that MOST was teaching? I will agree that the DMV test is not difficult enough to prove a rider can keep his or her self alive in the world. It should be a hell of a lot harder. But all I hear is people crying about how hard it is, and that they are riding their buddies enduro for the test. Good plan.

As far as crashes, I doubt seriously that Denver has a higher rate than NYC when you factor in how many months/miles we can ride versus you. I don't know the facts here, just my opinion. It's not based on either city having better or worse riders, but any time you have a large population concentration (NYC) bad things can happen.

clustermagnet
Wed Aug 1st, 2007, 03:10 PM
sorry, wasnt talking about bike accidents...

was talking about car accidents.

as far as my MOST class, its been ... what... 6 years i think?

The thing is... the entire system is flawed...

Its asinine to allow anyone to go buy a 1000cc bike, and expect them to perform well...

start with age/experience limitations... not just some stupid ass test.

mclarke
Wed Aug 1st, 2007, 03:15 PM
Cluster, you continue to spue nothign but trash and shit on the forums. Why dont you take your little 'I love NY party' somewhere else?

NY Motorcycle accident data of 2005 (latest year I could find)

http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/FinalReport.cfm?stateid=36&title=vehicles&title2=motorcycles&year=2005

Thats 172 Fatal crashes

Colorado Motorcycle accident data of 2005
http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/FinalReport.cfm?stateid=8&title=vehicles&title2=motorcycles&year=2005

Thats 92 Fatal crashes

Now lets take population into consideration, in 2005 here it is:
New York: 19,306,183
Colorado: 4,753,377

ok break it down to just registered motorcycles

New York: 217,546
Colorado: 95,089

So as you can see, Colorado is just as safe to ride as anywhere buddy. THe numbers are on par with Census, population, and registered bike data. Dont like the data? I suggest you go research it yourself.

Sources:
http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov

Crashdaddy
Wed Aug 8th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Cluster, you continue to spue nothign but trash and shit on the forums. Why dont you take your little 'I love NY party' somewhere else?

NY Motorcycle accident data of 2005 (latest year I could find)

http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/FinalReport.cfm?stateid=36&title=vehicles&title2=motorcycles&year=2005

Thats 172 Fatal crashes

Colorado Motorcycle accident data of 2005
http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/FinalReport.cfm?stateid=8&title=vehicles&title2=motorcycles&year=2005

Thats 92 Fatal crashes

Now lets take population into consideration, in 2005 here it is:
New York: 19,306,183
Colorado: 4,753,377

ok break it down to just registered motorcycles

New York: 217,546
Colorado: 95,089

So as you can see, Colorado is just as safe to ride as anywhere buddy. THe numbers are on par with Census, population, and registered bike data. Dont like the data? I suggest you go research it yourself.

Sources:
http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov

Hey

Thanks for the stats! I knew I was close on the numbers, but you proved we are much better off.

Thanks!

greenramp
Sat Aug 11th, 2007, 02:56 PM
That's gret jermag.... I moved here from Seattle and thats the guy that gave me my driving test 10 years ago. Small world I guess. Good job on the post.

pilot
Sat Aug 25th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Ah, D, you just jealous cuz there are so few out there that you can't get one.

"No ZZR's allowed in the garage! :sniper:" --from Crashdaddy's sig line.

blue02celi
Sun Aug 26th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Basically read the handbook and take the written test. Passing this will get you your Motorcycle Instruction Permit. It is good for 3 years, but has limitations

3 years?!
GEEEZZz... I just moved out from NY, my permit was only good for a year, and you have to renew it no test, after the first renewal they make you take the test again. Im in the process of switching my license over to CO so I can get my permit and sign up for a course, there seems to be alot more options out here as far as classes and such... and I've never seen anyone ride without a helmet until I got out here.

James
Sun Dec 2nd, 2007, 05:27 PM
I was the same way. I got my permit the first day I got my bike, because the test was easy if you glanced over the handbook. But after looking at the tight turns you have to do in the cone swerve part of the driving test, I continued to put off the driving test. It just doesn't look possible to perform the cone swerve in a bike bigger than a 50cc.

clustermagnet
Wed Dec 5th, 2007, 02:18 PM
like... why would you want a license!? seriously, whos gonna check... just dont pull over...

gsxrscott
Wed Dec 5th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I was the same way. I got my permit the first day I got my bike, because the test was easy if you glanced over the handbook. But after looking at the tight turns you have to do in the cone swerve part of the driving test, I continued to put off the driving test. It just doesn't look possible to perform the cone swerve in a bike bigger than a 50cc.

Took my Colorado motorcycle test at the DMV 17 years ago (still same test) on a full dress Goldwing with no mistakes. The kid taking it at the same time flunked on a Rebel. You should probably learn to ride BEFORE you take the test!:shocked:

Jayock
Wed Dec 5th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Ill preface this with saying that Ive taken MSF, I've passed the tests, etc.

I do think the tests they do are worthless. How many times do you need to make a 1.5 lane U-turn on a GSXR 1000 to save your life? How many times are you weaving at 5 mph back and forth? And I'm sure that if I wasn't very good at stopping from 15mph to 0 mph, id probably still survive the accident, figuring that any idiot could atleast get from 15 to 8 or so in that time.

The tests should exclude all of this crap, and test actual accident avoidance in a somewhat realistic set of controls (speed, time, etc). Some people might get hurt in the test, but better in a closed parking lot than in front of a F350.

tarded400
Wed Dec 5th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I guess you could kinda describe it like my engineering degree. You'll never use 99% of the crap, but its just to prove that you're willing to learn and work.

DucWise
Wed Dec 5th, 2007, 05:02 PM
You should probably learn to ride BEFORE you take the test!:shocked:

Haha. :) Sound advice :up: