PDA

View Full Version : Newb Q About Gas Dripping

Raptor
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 08:47 AM
I've noticed that when my bike sits out in the sun/heat for a while, especially with a full tank, there is a bit of gas dripping from under the block, right where the breather tubes are. Is that normal? I was thinking that maybe it's from gas tank pressure building up from the heat but I want to be sure it's not a critical issue or anything. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

rybo
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 08:50 AM
You've got it....it's expansion/overflow and it's pretty normal for a full tank on a hot day.

Devaclis
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Cripes Scott, let the rest of the class answer some questions :)

rybo
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Fine Dana....I'll delete my post so that you can answer....sorry.

Devaclis
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Well, I don't know the answer. Can you help me out?

rybo
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 09:30 AM
I'll give you a hint......but you have to send me the rear brake lever and the front axle nut I need for my Hawk first.

Devaclis
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 09:34 AM
haha I can send the axle nut, but I still need the brake lever until I get new rearsets.

rybo
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 09:50 AM
original post returned....subsequent posts left for general entertainment.

btw....since when do guys like you need brakes? Brakes are for sissys

Spy007
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Brakes only slow you down!

Raptor
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Cool, I feel better now. Thanks guys. :rock:

SpecialED
Mon May 19th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I've noticed that when my bike sits out in the sun/heat for a while, especially with a full tank, there is a bit of gas dripping from under the block, right where the breather tubes are. Is that normal? I was thinking that maybe it's from gas tank pressure building up from the heat but I want to be sure it's not a critical issue or anything. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

Thread resurrection... I noticed the same symptom on my newly-acquired '03 CBR954RR this weekend.

But it wasn't THAT hot... (maybe low 80's?) and the tank definitely wasn't anywhere near full - I'd put about 40 miles on the bike from fill-up.

Is this still "normal"? I was seeing one drip about every 2-3 minutes or so out of the rubber tube at the bottom of the fairing.

The reason I'm being paranoid about it is I have a 30-day warranty on mechanical issues from the dealer I bought the bike from... don't want to wait if it's something I could/should get fixed for free.

Thanks in advance!

rybo
Mon May 19th, 2008, 09:32 AM
That's still a pretty full tank, and while the air temp was in the 80's if your tank is a dark color (black?) it absorbs the solar radiation pretty well. It's much hotter than the air temp.

Seems to me that your condition is normal, If it was my bike I wouldn't be worried about it.

s

p.s. Big props for using the search function and finding this thread before posting a new one!

SpecialED
Mon May 19th, 2008, 09:37 AM
That's still a pretty full tank, and while the air temp was in the 80's if your tank is a dark color (black?) it absorbs the solar radiation pretty well. It's much hotter than the air temp.

Seems to me that your condition is normal, If it was my bike I wouldn't be worried about it.

Nice; it IS a fairly-dark color (graphite gray). Thank you for the prompt reply!

p.s. Big props for using the search function and finding this thread before posting a new one!

Well, I wasn't 100% sure what the protocol was... but thanks! Sport bike newb/uber-squid, but not Internet forum newb! :)