PDA

View Full Version : "Will Cook (and have BEER) for Help with Suspension&quo

Rick T.
Mon May 31st, 2004, 12:59 PM
Yes. Need a little help with setting up my suspension on both my street and track bikes. I'll have some beer and some GOOD food for any one who wants to help. In fact, we can have a Suspension Adjustment PARTY for any one that may need the same thing. Anything going on next weekend? Can do a BBQ/BEER/Suspension Tuning session at my house?

:)

Mista Black
Mon May 31st, 2004, 01:51 PM
Yes. Need a little help with setting up my suspension on both my street and track bikes. I'll have some beer and some GOOD food for any one who wants to help. In fact, we can have a Suspension Adjustment PARTY for any one that may need the same thing. Anything going on next weekend? Can do a BBQ/BEER/Suspension Tuning session at my house?

:)

That sounds like a good time. I wish my suspension had more adjustability :( but I'd be happy to help out.

FZRguy
Mon May 31st, 2004, 02:27 PM
Rick,

Do you have the tools to change fork seals?

yakuza
Mon May 31st, 2004, 09:52 PM
Rick, what kind of suspension help are you looking for? Ideally I'd suggest talking to Marcus http://www.roadracinghelp.com as he is the suspension guru. Marcus comes to the MRA races to provide trackside support.

CAMit...
Mon May 31st, 2004, 10:35 PM
I'd be up for that Rick!

Help you with yours, if you help me with mine... :D I have never touched my street bike since I bought it 2 years ago.

This coming weekend sounds good so far, nothing planned yet. Do you have kids?

Rick T.
Tue Jun 1st, 2004, 07:50 AM
Rick, what kind of suspension help are you looking for? Ideally I'd suggest talking to Marcus http://www.roadracinghelp.com as he is the suspension guru. Marcus comes to the MRA races to provide trackside support.

Thanks Alex. I may use Marcus' services for my race bike... I saw him at PPIR. Is he at EVERY MRA race?

As for the RSV, I was just wanting to get a group of guys/gals together for a small BBQ/suspension tuning session... :) Another social thing I guess. :lol:

I'm sure many out there wanna learn more about the benefits of a properly set up suspension... and the basic "how to's"...

John (FZR) ~ no tools for the fork seals, but I can get 'em.

yakuza
Tue Jun 1st, 2004, 09:26 AM
For your RSV, I'd definitely suggest talking to irdave on here, not only has he been working with Marcus, but he's done a lot of tweaking to the suspension on his RSV.

Marcus has made it to all the MRA races so far this season, and I know he plans to attend as many as he can. It's a big help to have him adjust my bike to suit the different tracks, it's amazing how much difference little changes to the suspension can make to help smooth out a bumpy track.

Rick T.
Tue Jun 1st, 2004, 07:32 PM
Would Dave (irdave) or anyone with "basic" suspension set-up knowledge like to provide a "Tech Brief" on suspension adjustment (using stock equipment) for street/track appllications?

I'm talking about:

1. Setting Sag
2. Compression
3. Rebound
4. Ride Height (rear)

Essentially "making the best of what you have"... I know the small adjustments I made to the RS at the track worked wonders.

I figured a BBQ/BEER event with some valuable learning added in... :) I got the dogs/burgers/soda/some beer :)... u guys bring whatever else you wanna through on the grill. 8)

1000RR
Tue Jun 1st, 2004, 07:38 PM
A suspension adjustment party would be great. Most of my bikes in the past have not exactly been the pinnacle of adjustability so I have no experience setting up the bike for my weight / style.

I fear that just turning screws, clicking dials and loading the springs just based on my butt dyno would probably have negative true effects, so I am riding around with the stock suspension settings.

Bueller
Tue Jun 1st, 2004, 08:58 PM
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_susp_settings

Good place to start, then you can fine tune from there.

Mista Black
Tue Jun 1st, 2004, 10:06 PM
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_susp_settings

Good place to start, then you can fine tune from there.

I agree 100%. It gives a great place to start.

Unfortunately, on my bike, with it's limited adjustablity, I ended up with it back to where I had it originally... as hard as it'll go front and back. :P

yakuza
Tue Jun 1st, 2004, 10:09 PM
I'd be interested and could help with setting sag, and demonstrate on how to get the bike to move as balanced as is possible with the available adjustment range. However I've got my sister coming into town this weekend and probably wouldn't be able to make it down. You can try and PM Dave, he might be available.

Also check out Marcus' website that I linked above, he has several tech articles that describe how suspensions work, how to set sag, and a bunch of other good tips.

Good luck putting this together, sounds like fun, sorry I can't make it.

CAMit...
Tue Jun 1st, 2004, 11:38 PM
Sorry you can't make it Alex. But family always comes 1st.

Guys - how about this Saturday at about noonish? At Ricks house of course... :D

Rick, maybe you could talk Tony, our MRA instuctor, to come over for an hour or so and give an over view and then we could take from there?

Rick T.
Wed Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:09 PM
Scrub this.

I'm RIDING on Sunday instead... :P

CAMit...
Wed Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:59 PM
Scrub this.

Ahh man...

Thats cool tho - most likely going to spend the weekend adjusting my valves anyways - they're really starting to tick up a storm...

Rick T.
Thu Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:34 AM
Scrub this.

Ahh man...

Thats cool tho - most likely going to spend the weekend adjusting my valves anyways - they're really starting to tick up a storm...

Why don't you RIDE with us...?

S2RGRL
Thu Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:53 AM
I'd ride if I could figure out how to get the day off :cry: :|

Mista Black
Thu Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:24 AM
I'd ride if I could figure out how to get the day off :cry: :|

1. call work
2. when they answer cough before speaking
3. try to sound like you are all stuffy and horse as you explain how sick you are
4. hang up phone
5. smile
6. go on ride

no problem, marilou... glad i could help

CAMit...
Thu Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:54 AM
[quote="CAMit"][quote=Rick T.]

Why don't you RIDE with us...?

About what time are you heading out? Dont have plans as of right now, but you know how wifes are...

Rick T.
Thu Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:57 AM
Meeting in Morrison @ 0900. Leaving my house by at least 0830... :D

CAMit...
Thu Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:58 AM
Meeting in Morrison @ 0900. Leaving my house by at least 0830... :D

Damn, whats wrong with you people - you dont sleep in???

I'm gonna try and get my valves done on saturday and make the ride sunday. I'll let you know how it goes...