PDA

View Full Version : Weird fuel issue

DYNO
Thu Jul 5th, 2007, 11:01 AM
So here is the deal...occasionally I will be riding and if I come to a quick stop the bike will cut off. Usually starts right back up, but every blue moon it takes some choke to get it back running.

Also, I have to leave the knob on reserve on the tank or the bike will die after about 1-2 minutes of riding. Even with a full tank.

So I assume this is a fuel delivery issue? I replaced one line when I first got it, but is there other things I should look for that might cause this problem?

Thanks!

DYNO
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 01:26 PM
No one even has a clue on this one?

dm_gsxr
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Carbed? (sounds like it) Have you cleaned the fuel filter?

Carl

Devaclis
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 01:36 PM
The rubber o-ring in your petcock could be gone. There is a small rubber gasket like piece that allows fuel to flow from the reserve line or the regular line in the tank. The regular line could be clogged OR the rubber gasket could be torn.

DYNO
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Yup carbed (note to self, next bike should have fuel injection)

fuel filter isn't that hard to change right? Trying to remember from when I had the tank off.

Devaclis
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Fuel filter is easy. There is usually one IN the tank too. Attached to the petcock.

DYNO
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Did they do that just to piss me off????

Filter in the tank...lordy lordy.

Guess I will look at all of this when I do the plugs on Sunday...downside to buying a dirt cheap non-running bike...chasing gremlins!!!

Devaclis
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 01:46 PM
The one in the tank is pretty easy to get to as well IF you have the tank off the bike. Just unscrew the petcock from the bottom of the tank and go nuts :)

Now, if it is the rubber gasket ON the petcock, you will need to either buy a new petcock OR buy a new gasket and drill out the rivets in your current one, replace the gasket, then tap the petcock and put in screws where the rivets used to be.

dm_gsxr
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Yep, what they said. There's a screen (I wouldn't necessarily call it a "filter" per se but it's been a while, who knows what's in there now) attached to the petcock. You should drop by the dealer and pick up a complement of o-rings depending on what you need and replace them at the same time.

But drain the tank into an approved container (like one of the red ones) and examine the output for any odd bits that might indicate your tank has crud in it. Then remove the tank and petcock and clean off the screen. It also gives you a chance to get any of the bottom of the tank crud out of the tank at the same time. Slosh the remainder of the fuel around and drain it out too. You might find that marble someone dropped in there :D

Carl

DYNO
Sat Jul 7th, 2007, 11:02 AM
I actually already drained the tank right after I got the bike home...it was by accident when I popped a line coming from the tank, but the year old fuel that came out was pretty clean. Actually dumped all 4 gallons into the Jeep to dispose of it.

I do remember seeing a filter type thing on one of the lines when I replaced the one I broke.

MattTLS
Sat Jul 7th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Was the bike sitting for a year with fuel in the carbs? If so, you probably have clogged pilot jets. Also check for pinched fuel lines and/or vent tube.

DYNO
Sat Jul 7th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Yeah, PO had it sitting in his garage for a year without running it.

I have ran all kinds of cleaner and crap through it...Have a buddy looking at it now, he is doing my fork seals and said he would check it out for me

MattTLS
Sun Jul 8th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Cleaners often don't work on the pilots without carb disassembly -- needs to be pressured through the orifice. Good luck though.