PDA

View Full Version : MotoGP at Indy in "08 - It's Official!

JustSomeDude
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 09:10 AM
WooooO! Road trip?

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=11047

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Bummer

JustSomeDude
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Bummer

What's so bad about 2 U.S. dates on the schedule? :dunno:

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Indiana is the problem.

~Barn~
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 09:20 AM
What's so bad about 2 U.S. dates on the schedule? :dunno:

Don't count your umbrella girls just yet. If the GP at Laguna doesn't go off something incredible here this year, consider Indy as the "replacement", rather than the 2nd of two acts.

Contracts be damned, if Dorna is unhappy with SCRAMP (the org. that runs Laguna), they won't hesitate to drop those final 2 years.

konichd
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Indy is a much better facility anyways. I'm going to go as a birthday present to myself (my B-day is on the 14th) so it should be a good time.

BDMD is the Architect for Indy and has done a great job with the interior pagoda, facilities, and museum. This will be a far better location than Laguna :)

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Indy is a much better facility anyways. I'm going to go as a birthday present to myself (my B-day is on the 14th) so it should be a good time.

BDMD is the Architect for Indy and has done a great job with the interior pagoda, facilities, and museum. This will be a far better location than Laguna :)

Facilities --- yeah that's right. The facilities are why I go to races. gawd --- think of it --- motoGP and golf :up: Fuck Indy and fuck the milk in the bottle. Give me The Cork Screw and Ducati Island anytime (and i don't even own a ducati). :down:

konichd
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Well, I know I don't want to sit on a hill, piss in my shorts becuase there's no bathrooms, traffic from hell.

INDY all the way kids! :)

~Barn~
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Facilities --- yeah that's right. The facilities are why I go to races. gawd --- think of it --- motoGP and golf :up: Fuck Indy and fuck the milk in the bottle. Give me The Cork Screw and Ducati Island anytime (and i don't even own a ducati). :down:

True THAT!

My seat could be plated in cashmere and the vendors can serve foie gras nachos and I'd still rather hit up the Monterey Peninsula, than make a roadie to freaking Indiana.

Gixrben
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Why indy... they'd better do some magic with the infield for this.

I get the sense I'm going to be disappointed. Barber? Road America? Why Indy... there's nothing there.

pg_rider
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 09:55 AM
I thought Indianapolis was a great city when I visited there. And for sure the logistics of the race from a spectator perspective are going to be worlds ahead of Laguna Seca. I stopped going to Laguna after a few years because it's the biggest goat rope I've ever seen -- sucks all the fun right out of the event...

Me, I'm making plans right now for Indy in 2008!

Jeffro
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Don't count your umbrella girls just yet. If the GP at Laguna doesn't go off something incredible here this year, consider Indy as the "replacement", rather than the 2nd of two acts.

Contracts be damned, if Dorna is unhappy with SCRAMP (the org. that runs Laguna), they won't hesitate to drop those final 2 years.

This is what I was able to track down......

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2007/Jul/070703q5.htm

konichd
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Atta' boy Paul!

The "magic" in the infield has been taken care of. This is going to be so much better than Laguna! :)

~Barn~
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 10:17 AM
This is what I was able to track down......

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2007/Jul/070703q5.htm

Yeah, I not sure what's up with that particular rumor. I don't even know how that would begin to circulate, since it's not even close to accurate. This year is # 3-of-5 on the contract, and certainly not "the last year", as that blurb alluded to.

The *possible* pullout of Dorna has nothing to do with a contract being over with, seeing as how they're only midway through, but rather because of other "discussions" regarding how the weekend has be handled for the past couple years. Event "Management" for all intents and purposes.

I personally hope it stays, and another venue can run a second US round.

Filo
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 10:25 AM
I wonder how they are going to satisfy the rider council? I can't imagine that a speedway circuit is going to be anywhere near as safe as the riders will want. The place is going to be wall city. I would rather have seen it go to Miller or Barber (although Barber is too small, IMO).

JustSomeDude
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 10:58 AM
I wonder how they are going to satisfy the rider council? I can't imagine that a speedway circuit is going to be anywhere near as safe as the riders will want. The place is going to be wall city. I would rather have seen it go to Miller or Barber (although Barber is too small, IMO).

The safety team inspected it a long time ago, and with the exception of the first turn off the main straight, they said it passed with flying colors. Ohp, here's the article - looks like the first turn won't even matter, since they'll be running the course reverse...

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=10286

As I recall, there was another article in late spring where the rider council inspected it first hand, and also gave it the thumbs up. I'm trying to locate that article now.

EDIT: Here it is... http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/may/may7-13/may1207rossicapirossiandkrjrgivegreenlighttoindy/

:)

Jayock
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 11:45 AM
It will be fun to watch the struggles they have with tires through the banking.

PhotoMotard
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I've got family in Indy so it's an easy extra visit in the year. I think having two races in the US will be great. I know nothing of the course but I'm sure there will be left AND right turns involved...

The facility is great.

And Indianapolis (Zionsville) is just getting their first stand alone Ducati dealership, so 2008 sounds fine to me. There will be a great turnout. Now if we can only get a world superbike race over here...

See you there. :usa:

Robb

Jeffro
Fri Jul 6th, 2007, 12:29 PM
I've got family in Indy so it's an easy extra visit in the year. I think having two races in the US will be great. I know nothing of the course but I'm sure there will be left AND right turns involved...

The facility is great.

And Indianapolis (Zionsville) is just getting their first stand alone Ducati dealership, so 2008 sounds fine to me. There will be a great turnout. Now if we can only get a world superbike race over here...

See you there. :usa:

Robb

I think 2 US races is great. Also, the rumor (which is very close to being a done deal) is that Barber is getting a 2008 WSBK race.

Mother Goose
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I've got family in Indy so it's an easy extra visit in the year.

Me too, but more north. I'm dissapointed that it's going there, but maybe this new layout will be better than the crap they have for F1. :dunno:

JustSomeDude
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 08:48 PM
MOTOGP Indy news on front page of Yahoo! Sports!!!!

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/sports/index.php;_ylt=AlRLuAWo90qcpj_cvHYCtDg5nYcB?rn=207 187&cl=3381229&ch=207402&ds=cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com

WOOOOOO!!!!!

Wahooman
Fri Jul 20th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Already have my tickets reserved!!

Dizzy D
Sun Jul 22nd, 2007, 03:59 PM
We got our tickets reserved also, this is going to be a blast!

We have been looking into hotel rooms, the seem to be more reasonable than Monterey.
Curtis let us know if you kind a good hotel deal.