PDA

View Full Version : ZX-10R hot start problem

konichd
Sun Jul 8th, 2007, 01:53 PM
So I have a little problem with my 2006 ZX-10R.

After getting the bike warmed up it has a hard time starting. Turn the key, everythings normal, fuel pump kicks on yet it just turns over. After about 2 minutes of hitting the kill switch, turning it off and back on I can get it started. It starts right up and then runs fine until I shut if off again. This just started happening about 3 weeks ago but know if does it everytime I try to restart it when its up to temp. Any ideas?

Here are some specs:
2006 Kawasaki ZX-10R
Power Commander (Fuel Moto Map)
Akropovic exhaust (slip on)
K & N air filter
@6,500 miles

:dunno:

Repsol a095
Sun Jul 8th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Sell it and buy a Yamaha. You could call Ken, I think he has a couple bikes for sale.

konichd
Sun Jul 8th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Ken's bikes don't start either! :)

Repsol a095
Sun Jul 8th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Back to the Yamahas! Go with a winner. I don't think that I've seen an FZ-1 broken down on the side of the road. Ummmm.... No I haven't.

MattTLS
Sun Jul 8th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Maybe a pinched fuel line or blocked vent? Did this happen just after you did some work on the bike -- maybe after installing the K&N as I'd assume you had the tank up?

konichd
Sun Jul 8th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Nope, haven't touched the bike. Installed the K&N, PCIII, and exhaust when it was new. Just changed he oil this spring and that has pretty much been it. Once I get it started the bike runs fine so I know its not a fuel line or fouled plug. :(

*KEN*
Sun Jul 8th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Back to the Yamahas! Go with a winner. I don't think that I've seen an FZ-1 broken down on the side of the road. Ummmm.... No I haven't.

Are you ever going to get that R1 working properly?

Repsol a095
Sun Jul 8th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I don't know; let me go and start it and see how it runs. Everyone can do tha... I mean not everyone. I guess if you own a Suzuki or a Kawi, you might have some problems starting it. Let me know how I can help; maybe I can bring my truck and be a chase vehicle.

konichd
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Anyone? :dunno:

I'm going to disconnect the power commader and see if thats it for starters, reload the map, etc. I'm not convinced this is the issue though. For some reason I'm afraid it might be the computer or for some reason its boiling gas? :(

rybo
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 01:14 PM
I don't think it's boiling gas.

Disconnect the PC, that is a maybe. Run the ECU straight for a bit and see if you get the same result. I'm convinced it's an electrical problem, ECU, PC or some kind of relay and I'm convinced it's ignition (not fuel) related based on the "cure" of cycling the on/off switch a number of times. I may also try disconnecting the battery and leaving the bike sit overnight and then re-connecting it. I'm not sure if bikes have the ability to write to a short term memory in the ECU or if disconnecting the battery for a period of time offers some kind of "reset" function for it, but it's a cheap attempt and worth a shot.

s

konichd
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I have an extra starter switch from the 636 so I'm going to swap that over and start eliminating the possibilities. I really don't want to tear the bike apart and remove the PCIII, but if push comes to shove :(

rybo
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 01:24 PM
I would start by disconneting the battery and letting the bike sit overnight then.

konichd
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 01:27 PM
I'll disconnect the battery tonight. Hook it up and see if that cures it. If not, I'll swap out the switch. Then disconnect the PCIII.

The good news if its the ECU Attack Kawasaki makes an excellent replacement unit! :)

~Barn~
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 01:44 PM
The gas is not hot enough. You must bring it up to boil, before it will start. I suggest leaving it out of the shade for an afternoon, and then kicking it over onto it's side.

rybo
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 01:47 PM
The gas is not hot enough. You must bring it up to boil, before it will start. I suggest leaving it out of the shade for an afternoon, and then kicking it over onto it's side.

This is another viable solution to the problem. Furthermore you could strip off all the high dollar parts (rearsets, clip on's, PC, etc) sell them on e-bay and use the money towards a Honda. It's 26 pounds heavier, but won't ever have a problem with starting.

s

konichd
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Perhaps there's a problem with the anti-highside switch Scott? :)

rybo
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Perhaps, but you can just remove it, I don't think you're in danger of that fate any time soon....

Devaclis
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 02:14 PM
When you disconnect the battery, hold on the brake for a minute or two to completely drain the system. On my WRX I had to do this to re-set the ECU

Pharmgirl
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Sell it and ride 2up behind Jeanna. That way, when she "shit bombs" the clutch, you'll know exactly what she's doing.

konichd
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I will sell it to *KEN* since he's use to his shit falling apart on rides :)

rybo
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Sell it and ride 2up behind Jeanna. That way, when she "shit bombs" the clutch, you'll know exactly what she's doing.
:pointlaugh:

That's the best one YET.....I'm buying you dinner sometime!

rybo
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 02:29 PM
I've got the best solution yet! Sell the 10 and buy a trailer, that way when the rest of us "shit bomb" our bikes we can just call you. You eliminate your hot start problem, we don't have to worry about bike maintenance. All in favor?

konichd
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 02:33 PM
I have a trailer, just ask KEN :lol: Works great

Hopefully its just a "glitch" in te ECU and I can reset it somehow. But I'll buy the Attack Kawasaki ECU for good measure :)

rybo
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 02:45 PM

Hopefully its just a "glitch" in te ECU and I can reset it somehow. But I'll buy the Attack Kawasaki ECU for good measure :)

DK's made of money....wanna sponsor a race team?

konichd
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Sure, I'll sponsor Team Angry Marmot Racing :)

Hell, I have the team trailer and tow vehicle anyhow.

Pharmgirl
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 02:59 PM
DK- Official Tow Master of Angry Marmot Motorsports

Pharmgirl
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 03:03 PM

The trailer does work great for hauling defective Kawasakis.