PDA

View Full Version : working on the wheelies

Brat
Sun Jul 8th, 2007, 08:19 PM
yes, working on the wheelies, been doing some pull ups on the bike to get used to doing wheelies again. the most ive been able to pull the front tire up is about 3 1/2 feet. pulled a 4foot wheelie today then my damn foot hit the kickstand and killed the engine.... sucked. but i am getting better, anyone have a steel framed bike they pull wheelies on? its a bitch getting my bike up but once it gets up its nice and neutral. i hope to get good enough to get some pics or video up. just thought id share. i m not near as good as some of the people who post pics up here but im just trying to get better. :D
Brat:turtle:

DeeStylez
Sun Jul 8th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Thats cool man post up some pics. maybe I can learn from it. :D

Brat
Mon Jul 9th, 2007, 03:38 PM
i'll see if i can get some and a few videos if i get good wheelies... now i am not up to riding them just popping the front up and grinning... lol.
Brat

Matty
Wed Aug 1st, 2007, 05:48 PM
The World Famous Phuzzy's Guide to Wheelies

Wheelies are an integral part of the motorcycling experience. Within the next few paragraphs you will find information on wheelies gleaned from more than 5 minutes of wheelie experience by that world-famous stunter, PhuzzyGnu.

Part One: Overcoming Mental Barriers

Perhaps one of the difficult aspects of wheelies to master is the fear of what scientists call "Busting Your Ass (BYA)." This is a very real and likely phenomenon associated with wheelies, other stunts, and motorcycles in general. Here are a few hints:

Start out small. You are not, and will probably never be, Gary Rothwell. So don't go big until you think you're ready.
Never confuse your intentions with your capabilities. See #1 above.
Wear safety gear. Helmet, gloves, boots, jacket, and back protector are my usual gear when riding, and as a matter of fact you should probably wear full leathers. If you do not wear these items and you mess up a wheelie, you will be scarred and misshapen and unattractive to the opposite sex. Wearing safety gear also makes you feel more confident.

Part Two: Equipment

To do a wheelie, you will first need a motorcycle. Any kind of motorcycle will do. I personally have a friend that wheelies his Gold Wing. For our purposes I will assume you ride a bike with some sporty capability, though the process is the same for all bikes. Dirt bikes are good to learn wheelies on, because they crash cheaply. Friends' bikes are similar in this regard.

Here are questions to ask your bike:

Are you in basically good shape?
Do you have a smoothly operating throttle?
Do you have a clutch in working condition?
Do you have a rear brake in case I need to save my ass?
If the answer to any of these questions is "no," you might have to find a new motorcycle. If your motorcycle does not answer, don't worry, motorcycles don't usually answer anyway.

Part Three: Where should I practice my wheelies?

Practice wheelies somewhere you can be an idiot on a motorcycle without many people minding. Also look for good pavement and, most importantly, a total absence of police (see section 4 below.) Alternatively, in front of girls' schools and in front of hospitals are good places to practice wheelieing.

Part Four: The Man Hates Wheelies

Cops HATE wheelies. It brings out some primal reaction in them. They will throw the book at you. It may be called "failure to control vehicle" or "not in complete control of vehicle" or "improper start from a standing position" or "exhibition of acceleration." DO NOT DO WHEELIES IN FRONT OF COPS. Mothers also dislike wheelies. On the other hand, young children (young boys especially) love wheelies. Most other women do too, though they usually won't admit it. It is best to do wheelies for women at every opportunity. (If you are a woman, by all means do wheelies. It goes without saying than guys love wheelies and a woman doing a wheelie could probably manipulate most men into doing most anything.)

Part Five: To Clutch or Not to Clutch?

If your bike has big power and/or light weight, you don't even need the clutch- you can get the front wheel up with just the throttle. GSXR-750s, Bandit 1200s, Blackbirds (my bike), TL1000s, VTR1000s, R1s, ZX-9s and other bikes with Lots-o-Torque or Not-Much-Weight can bring the front wheel up with just a big, or even not-so-big twist of throttle. Simply riding forward, rapidly closing and opening the throttle can get the front wheel WAY up on some of these bikes. Some bikes just require you to open the throttle. Other bikes require the use of the clutch, which is that lever on the left clip-on (or handlebar if you ride on of "those" bikes.) I'll assume if you have a bike with big power you don't need my help anyway.

Part Six: Will this hurt my bike?

Wheelies done right are harmful to neither bike nor clutch. Use low revs and torque to wheelie, not massive revs and horsepower. Slower speed wheelies are also easier to control. Wheelies done wrong can damage chains, head bearings, forks seals, and, in worse-case scenarios, bodywork and even you.

Part Seven: What if it all goes wrong?

If it all goes wrong, hopefully you have the back brake covered, you mash it, and the front end slams down, smashing your grollies into the tank (if you are a guy) or smashing those mystical parts into the tank (if you are a girl.) If it goes REALLY wrong, and you ether didn't have the brake covered or you miss it completely (it happens), the bike will bodyslam itself into lots of expensive pieces, from about 5 feet up. It might also land on you. Try to fall off to the side. If you are not wearing gear, you will be in a world of pain, even at 20 miles per hour. Even wearing gear, you can still get hurt bad, okay?

Part Eight: The Wheelie

Having read this far, you're ready to try wheelies. Briefly, the following are the steps to the Wheelie.

Cover the back brake. It will stop you from flipping over backwards if you go too far.
Accelerate at about 1/4 throttle through 20-30 mph.
Squeeze the clutch.
Roll on more throttle.
Let out the clutch.
Steps 2-5 are almost simultaneous.
Step 1- The back brake will save your ass if you start to go over backwards. Until you are very proficient at wheelies, you should always cover the back brake just in case.

Step 2- You need to be accelerating gently to get the weight on the back wheel. Once you become proficient, you can do a wheelie from any speed, but we'll start like this, ok?

Step 3- Squeezing the clutch gets the engine spinning faster and making more power, of course. You don't have to squeeze it all the way in, just enough to get it slipping, thus spinning the motor up and getting more power.

Step 4- Giving a little more gas increases the engine spinning as noted in step 3 above.

Step 5- Letting out the clutch is the key to a smooth wheelie. Don't just pop out the clutch, or the front end might leap in the air and scare you away from wheelies for a year. Let the clutch out smoothly and quickly, as if you were pulling away from a light really fast. If you have ever been in a stoplight drag race and had the front end come up on you as you left the line, that's exactly how the clutch should come out.

In any case, unless you are really ballsy or just stupid, the front won't even come up the first time. You'll just kinda jerk forward a bit. No problem. Now, do it again, with a wee bit more throttle, engaging the clutch a wee bit faster, sneaking up on the wheelie. It probably won't come up this time either. Just keep on giving a wee bit more gas and a wee bit quicker (but still smooth) clutch engagement, and eventually the front will come up more and more. More throttle- more air.

Steering wheelies is just a matter of centering your weight. You lean to one side, you go to one side. Turn the front wheel one way, you'll go the other way, just like countersteering. Stick a knee out and you'll go that way. Simple. Just sit straight up and hold the bars straight at first, ok?

The front wheel has a gyro-effect, so if it stops spinning, turning the front can't steer you anymore and when you finish the wheelie it'll have to spin up to speed. If you are going fast enough, you'll get a chirp and a puff of smoke, but let's save that for later. If you set a wheelie down crossed up you can get a nasty tankslapper and get tossed, so try not to do that either, unless you like tankslappers.

Once you can consistently get the front end up higher and higher, then you can think about going just a bit further!

Part Nine: What now?

Okay, now you are getting the front wheel up regularly. Now you can find the balance point. Basically, it's this floaty, light point in a wheelie that is really damn high up there where you don't have to use as much throttle and you can basically keep it up indefinitely.

Part Ten: More Gears!

You aren't limited to 1st gear, of course. Once you are proficient at wheelies, you can use other gears. You can wheelie most sportbikes in 1st and 2nd and maybe 3rd gear, and some big boys like the R1 or the ZX-9 or maybe a Blackbird might be wheeliable even in 4th. I haven't brought a bike up, ever, in 4th, but it is possible.

Alternatively, you can start out in 1st and go up through the gears as far as your balls (or ovaries), the road, and your skill will let you. The current wheelie record is well over 175 miles per hour, so get out there. To shift in a wheelie all you need to do is twitch your right wrist to unload the gears, while having your left toe already pressuring the gear change. No clutch necessary. Some Hondas and other bikes, my Blackbird included, have a big throw from first to second. Give it a big, positive kick into second to avoid missing a shift, having the engine rev the tits off itself, and then having the front wheel slam down to the jeers of any witnesses and to your own shame and possibly mashed privates. If you do get it into second it will want to kick a little higher, so be ready to modulate the throttle. Of course, you haven't' tried to shift into 2nd until you were really familiar with balancing these things, so it's no problem. Now you can go into 3rd and 4th and 5th and 6th, and you're the man (or woman) and you can make money at this.

Matty
Wed Aug 1st, 2007, 05:48 PM
Part 11: Variations.

Once you're quite the badass, here's some things to try.

Standing up. Easy, stand up on the pegs and wheelie away. Cool, eh?

Crossed up. You'll have to turn the bars and stick out the opposite knee to get a nice, crossed up, rad effect.

Waving/Flip off/other gestures. Take your hand off (your LEFT hand!) and do whatever you think would be cool. Extra points for flipping off cops, if that's your kinda thing.

Passengers. If you have a trusting friend, go for it. It is actually easier because of the weight distribution, but the stakes are higher for obvious reasons.

There are other variations, but if you are good enough to think of them and do them, you wouldn't be reading this, would you?

Part 12: It Ain't My Fault

Phuzzy accepts no responsibility whatsoever for anything that might happen to you if you decide to read this and go out and practice the techniques described herein. Wheelies are inherently dangerous because motorcycles have two wheels for a reason and if you take one of them off the ground, you open up a whole new realm of possible ways to maim yourself. Don't be stupid. Don't blame me if you end up having aftermarket titanium parts installed on your body if something goes wrong. Have fun.

derekm
Wed Aug 1st, 2007, 07:56 PM
just go practice

#1Townie
Wed Aug 1st, 2007, 10:20 PM
just go practice
and then some more.... and then some more... and just when you think you got it, you better get back on and do it again...

speaking of that d how do you start doing 180 stoppies... i move all over the place but the goes in a straight line...

derekm
Wed Aug 1st, 2007, 11:28 PM
practice countersteering

Mother Goose
Thu Aug 16th, 2007, 09:19 AM
And how did you put the kickstand down?? :lol: Are you riding w/ your foot half way down on the rear sets? Keep your left foot w/ the pegs on the ball of your foot and cover the rear brake w/ the right one. ;)

#1Townie
Fri Aug 17th, 2007, 10:17 PM
And how did you put the kickstand down?? :lol: Are you riding w/ your foot half way down on the rear sets? Keep your left foot w/ the pegs on the ball of your foot and cover the rear brake w/ the right one. ;)

it may be the pain killers but i have no idea what in the hell you are talking about.....

jimwallace
Wed Aug 29th, 2007, 02:42 PM
its okay man i cant do a wheelie for shit.....but i can do a jesus christ....go figure

Brat
Fri Aug 31st, 2007, 12:50 AM
you are staked to the bike with stakes? that has to hurt.... lol.
naw i have taken a break from it, i snapped a stock chain in half and that pissed me off took a chunk out of my shoe. id have some boots but that purchase fell through...
i cant do wheelies on my bike ive determined, i can but it takes a hell of a lot of effort. i rode my friends ninja, i brought the front up soooo easily. so i have come to the conclusion i need a new bike. i rode my other friends r6 and i had to fight the urge to do a wheelie, i wont ride a wheelie on a friends bike unless they know i am going to do it. i just feel its wrong doing a wheelie on their bike without hteir knowing.
ill have to talk my friend with the r6 to let me ride it again and throw down on some wheelies. they all let me ride their bikes bc theyveseen me ride and know i can handle the bike easily.
Brat

Bassil Duwaik
Fri Aug 31st, 2007, 01:36 AM
think you better look at a new tire first

jimwallace
Fri Aug 31st, 2007, 07:21 AM
my biggest problem is weight shifting to the rear. i have to litterally stand one of my feet on one of the rear foot pegs and shift my weight as far back as i can ..... thats even with my zx9r..... i apparently am not doing something quite right.

#1Townie
Sat Sep 1st, 2007, 01:53 PM
you are trying to power it up..... use the clutch..

Bueller
Sun Sep 2nd, 2007, 08:22 PM
id have some boots but that purchase fell through...

show up next time, and don't leave the guy hanging for an hour and a half.:idea:

Brat
Tue Sep 4th, 2007, 04:10 PM
show up next time, and don't leave the guy hanging for an hour and a half.:idea:
eh i contacted you by the means i had. still wish we could have got an alternative time scheduled since that fell through.

Bueller
Tue Sep 4th, 2007, 05:16 PM
A phone call saying you weren't coming would be the right thing to do, you can't make a phone call? If your that phucking poor you can't afford boots. Leaving a PM 10 minutes after the time we set to meet doesn't cut it. I hung out to make sure I didn't screw you in case you were in traffic. If you still wonder why I was pissed then you can ponder that shit.

jimwallace
Wed Sep 5th, 2007, 07:55 PM
so yeah ummmmm ....bout that clutchin thing..

Brat
Sun Sep 9th, 2007, 01:28 AM
i dont have long distance at home, or a fucking cell phone. usually id reply as i normally do, but i felt the need to reply in turn. as for affording boots, i could afford those, ass. thats why i wanted them. people on budgets look for deals, jackass. and as i discussed, in the pm i left 10 min prior to meet time, its because i had to work, you know, yes i should have just left work who needs a job? fool. i made a general statement, unlike you i had more tact in my pm to you, after your pissfit bitching. i had to work thats somthing you cant just leave. but i guess you lack the comprehension to understand that.

as for wheelies. lol. rode my friends r6 oh it was itchin for the front to come up. light ass bikes.
and my friends 95 ninja, i brought the front up on it twice as easy as my steel framed beast. lol. just made me wanta new bike more now. eh, when the time comes, until then just riding normally. it was fun bringing up the front.
yes i do need a new tire. it slides alot when i clutch it. :D

#1Townie
Sun Sep 9th, 2007, 05:15 PM
so yeah ummmmm ....bout that clutchin thing..
pull citch give gas let go of clutch... cover rear brake... you get scared hit brake... now go practice..

Brat
Sun Sep 9th, 2007, 09:07 PM
next bike night i make it to i can show you. on that ninja the front will come up soooooo easy. its not even funny. just pop and your up. on that newer bike. mines heavy as hell.

Ricky
Mon Sep 10th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Anyone every tried a wheelie on a Ninja 250? I don't think it's possible without a LOT of clutch work, and someone that weighs like 5 pounds.

Brat
Mon Sep 10th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Anyone every tried a wheelie on a Ninja 250? I don't think it's possible without a LOT of clutch work, and someone that weighs like 5 pounds.
i bet on a bike that lil itd be easy. then again im not the heaviest person. but youd still have to clutch it, at this altitude, bikes need clutching unless theyre really light and have alot of power imo.

madvlad
Thu Sep 13th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how to get my 600 off the ground lol, I've been trying to get the whole clutch work in but doesn't seem to be effective. I must be doing something wrong but I dk what it is.... kinda frustrating cause I love wheelies. My friend on his 04' YZF600R did wheelies without the clutch or revving it, it was awesome.

#1Townie
Thu Sep 13th, 2007, 10:05 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how to get my 600 off the ground lol, I've been trying to get the whole clutch work in but doesn't seem to be effective. I must be doing something wrong but I dk what it is.... kinda frustrating cause I love wheelies. My friend on his 04' YZF600R did wheelies without the clutch or revving it, it was awesome.

pull clutch give gas let go of clutch... cover rear brake... you get scared hit brake... now go practice..
keep trying..

madvlad
Thu Sep 13th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Where do you guys practice wheelies? I can't find a place that's pretty well hidden and away from Police, wouldn't want to get in trouble stupidly

Brat
Thu Sep 13th, 2007, 10:18 PM
well we are in the springs. so the places i practice are a bit out of your county. lol.
dude i wish i had a new bike. again i was on a 95 ninja 636 and i clutched it, whooomp, up it went. i was just a grinin. lol.
rode my friends 05 r6, and i fought the front end from coming up..
rode a busa, i never ever thought of trying to bring the front up bc i just painted the thing, and its not my bike to do wheelies on.
i have been doing some pop ups on my kat, fun stuff. when i can get the rear tire to hookup.
keep practicing, dont take ya foot off the rear brake peg. its your safety blanket..
id put a pic of my tries up but no ones ever around to get a pic of me trying . lol
Brat

madvlad
Thu Sep 13th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Everyone keeps telling me that my bike is pretty easy to put up so I will certainly keep practicing, I want to wheelie so bad :)

#1Townie
Fri Sep 14th, 2007, 09:20 AM
dont force it... it will come with practice... if you want to head down to the springs this weekend i am heading out east to learn some new tricks so you are more then welcome to come along...

Brat
Fri Sep 14th, 2007, 09:31 AM
yeah once you get a feel for it its easy. i got the hang of bringing my heavy ass bike upnow it occasionally surprises me

madvlad
Fri Sep 14th, 2007, 07:45 PM
well yea I obviously won't push beyond my abilities cause I know it's serious business, once I get the first step down I'm sure I'll get the rest pretty easily. The tire only comes up like a few inches off the ground when I try it, which is better than nothing but well getting there.

luniz7
Wed Oct 3rd, 2007, 04:10 PM
well yea I obviously won't push beyond my abilities cause I know it's serious business, once I get the first step down I'm sure I'll get the rest pretty easily. The tire only comes up like a few inches off the ground when I try it, which is better than nothing but well getting there.

ive been practicing all summer and just did my first real good one today. i started off like you just bringing it a couple inches off the ground, then for the longest time it was like 2-3 feet up but today i got one about 4 feet up and i scared me a little, but after i was like "hell yeah" BTW I have the same bike as you

DavidofColorado
Wed Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:41 PM
You could do it with enough clutch and lean back a lot but not to much.

Brat:A Smurf will turn pink in you choke it.

Brat
Wed Oct 3rd, 2007, 08:53 PM
You could do it with enough clutch and lean back a lot but not to much.

Brat:A Smurf will turn pink in you choke it.
i clutch the bike to get the front off the ground.
as for the smurf thing. proove it. :D

CoronaKOK
Thu Oct 11th, 2007, 09:21 PM
P/m me I will show you, if you live north denver area?

DeeStylez
Thu Oct 11th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I have been practicing for a while myself I have no problem getting the front wheel off the ground....the problem I am still having is I cant keep a steddy wheelie going. When I get my rear tire replaced and if the weather stays like it is for a couple more weeks I will be back at it. A good place to practice is over at the old Lowry Air Base, the security doesnt give a shit.

Rooster
Tue Sep 15th, 2009, 08:20 PM
i just got back from deployment. anyone going out this week or weekend? i wouldnt mind trying some new things. well anything for that matter. only got my tire up a few inches on academy but aint got enough space to do anything without getting in trouble. i need someone to meet up close to where i live and go out where everyone else goes. i dont know where anything around here is. any offers?

Richard
Tue Sep 15th, 2009, 08:41 PM
wow this is an old thread try this one.
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31026

lemme know if you wanna check it out.

I also have a supermoto for sale if you wanna learn on something other then your bike.
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33279