PDA

View Full Version : Superhawk Wrench Party - DATE CHANGED!! Read my latest post

Anonymous
Mon Jun 7th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Ok, this idea was born out of another thread... I'm thinking of hosting a little party for all of you fellow Superhawk owners, to do some "required" and "really desirable" items. Some ideas:

- Sync the carbs and do quick clean on them (no removal)
- Adjust TPS
- Remove your PAIR crap, if not already done
- Install +4deg advancer
- New fork oil and seals
- Drop forks ~5mm and adjust suspension
- General once-over of the maintenence stuff
- Change oil? (Depends on if ya need it)
- Check over the bike, tighten loose stuff, lube cables, etc.
- Anything else you've been putting off, I can help with

I've done a lot on these bikes and am happy to help anyone who owns one of these get more out of the bike. Honda did a great job on them but there is some unused potential. We won't be jetting them (honestly, there is one man in the state who you should let do this - Bart at TK) but I can guide you through the rest.

Carb sync'ing and TPS adjustments are free to do, as is the PAIR removal and fork drop/adjustment. The advancer would set you back the cost of the part ($45 or so retail, looking into discounts on these) as well as a right side gasket and new coolant. I'm waiting on quantity discount pricing from Ron Ayers on this stuff, it should be pretty cheap. Fork oil will cost you ... fork oil. Under $10, plus probably about $15 for a seal kit. An oil change is an oil change, I'm sure Gramps over at CarQuest can get us some Silkolene 10w40 Semi-Syn oil and good filters at a good price. And if you have other parts you're waiting to install, bring 'em over.

I'm thinking of doing this sometime in July, maybe around the middle of the month. I might ask for a small donation from whoever comes, to defray my cost of cleaners, gasket maker, etc, plus whatever you "purchase" to install on your bike. But, I can guarantee you that your Superhawk will run great when we're done. I've done this stuff on mine and it's definitely worth the afternoon you'll spend drinking beer and wrenching. ;)

If interested, just reply here and let me know. We can go from there...

Coloradoray
Mon Jun 7th, 2004, 12:31 PM
I am in. Thanks for taking the time to do all of this; it is greatly appreciated.

Pachuco
Tue Jun 8th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Ralph sounds good. put me down for a maybe. it all depends on money and time.

Fastfreddy
Wed Jun 9th, 2004, 07:24 PM
When in July you think ? I would like to come over. I'm looking to install new springs and valving in the forks, and the timing advancer. 8)

Sparker
Wed Jun 9th, 2004, 07:42 PM
can we do this for the sv/tl sometime ralph? my shoulder is feeling much better!

Anonymous
Wed Jun 9th, 2004, 10:57 PM
If you want to bring your TL we can work on it, but I'm only gonna be getting the bulk parts for the chickens. ;)

Fred - thinking mid-July.

Also, good news! Ron Ayers is going to hook us up with my sponsor deal on nearly everything we need (this means CHEAP!)... :up: If you have a Superhawk post here and let me know if you want in on this, because it's a one time deal. ;)

shmoab
Thu Jun 10th, 2004, 10:36 PM
I'll try to make it. Can't guarantee anything this far off and without a confirmed date, though.

vtr1000rider
Mon Jun 14th, 2004, 04:44 PM
I am intertested. Let's nail down a date and a time range.

Anonymous
Mon Jun 14th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Ight, how does the weekend of July 17th work for everyone?

I hate to make you confirm this far out but if I'm going to order parts, I need to know pretty quick. If you say you will be there I expect you to at least pay me back for the parts as well... ;)

Pachuco
Mon Jun 14th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Sounds good to me. I will be there that is if I don't blow all my money in the bahamas this week. :D I am leaving in the morning and wont be back till the 24th so if the date changes I guess i will find out then. :)

vtr1000rider
Thu Jun 24th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Let me know the costs and everything so that I can get you some cash before hand. I'll double check the calendar but that seems like a good day.

Coloradoray
Wed Jun 30th, 2004, 10:08 AM
July 17 works for me. Let me know what the cost is estimated to be so that I can start robbing my kids piggy bank.

ccm84
Sun Jul 4th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Mind if I show up on my gsxr1000? I need somewhere to ride that day.

Anonymous
Thu Jul 8th, 2004, 02:51 PM
DATE HAS CHANGED!!!!!

We're now doing this July 31st.

Sorry for the confusion and change here, but I had something come up on the 17th.

I need to know what y'all want to do to your bikes too! Let me know if you're in for the full ignition advancement stuff, fork oil change, etc, or if you just want to sync the carbs and TPS and call it a day... So I know what to order!

Pachuco
Thu Jul 8th, 2004, 03:14 PM
cool No problem on the date.
I want to get the ignition advancer and sync the carbs + the TPS.
Let me know the cost for the parts and I will shoot over the money to you.
also can you see if you can get the K&N filters cheaper than $75 from your contacts. :)

vtr1000rider
Thu Jul 8th, 2004, 03:50 PM
I'd be looking to tune in the suspension, ignition advance, possible K&N filter.

Let me doulbe check the new date, but at first glance it seems fine.

Money Money Money, let me know how much and you'll have it!

Coloradoray
Fri Jul 9th, 2004, 09:02 AM
I would like to do carb sync, TPS, and fork oil, brake and clutch fluid.

FZRguy
Tue Jul 13th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Are Yamaha's allowed? Already did forks/new springs, but I need some help measuring static sag.

Anonymous
Tue Jul 13th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Are Yamaha's allowed? Already did forks/new springs, but I need some help measuring static sag.

Well, this is technically a superhawk party. ;) You can come, but you probably won't get garage space. :)

Anonymous
Tue Jul 13th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Ok, some prices:

+4deg ignition advancer: $47.25
** Will also need a right side cover gasket and coolant to change the advancer out, probably about $25 for these things total but I'm waiting on the quote now.

BMC street filter: $63 (K&N is $69 but I'm told the BMC's are better anyway)

We may be able to get by without oil changes. If you want one, let me know and I will get prices on oil (be sure to tell me if you have an oil preference). I already have filters from Tom / CarQuest donated to the wrench party, so this would be a good time to change it! (hint hint) If anyone would like to run the AMSOIL full-synthetic, I get it for 20% off retail. Other oils are available as well at various costs.

Fork oil - gonna be cheap. Under $10 I think. Waiting on quote for that too.

Carb sync and TPS adjustments: Mostly free. Plan to kick about $3 my way for the hose attachments and screws I'll need to leave on your bike. I have the rest of the tools we'll need.

Suspension adjustments: Free. Just remember, I'm not the expert on this. But we'll get it close.

Do any of you have a triple-clamp lifting front stand (like the pit bull)? I don't have one, but we'll need it to change out the fork oil since the forks need to come out of the bike at that point.

Also there will be a little extra tagged on for shipping. Once everyone tells me what they're in for, I can place the order. Remember, I need to be reimbursed asap!! If you cannot do this in the next week or two let me know this now, otherwise I'll expect the cash. Have bills to pay here too. ;)

FZRguy
Tue Jul 13th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Well, this is technically a superhawk party. ;) You can come, but you probably won't get garage space. :)

There may very well be a brand new black SuperChicken in my near future...does that count?

Anonymous
Wed Jul 14th, 2004, 12:59 PM

There may very well be a brand new black SuperChicken in my near future...does that count?

Well, get it before the 31st, buy some parts for it out of my list, and bring it over so I can make it faster! :idea:

FZRguy
Wed Jul 14th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Ain’t gonna happen by the 31st. I’ll start bugging you to test ride yours when it gets serious. ;)

Pachuco
Wed Jul 14th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Since you are going to start ordering parts for this here is what I want:
Ignition advancer, sync the carbs and tps
also get me the bmc filter.
I will give you the money on Weds the 21st at Brecks if that is cool.
I am figuring about 150 for all of that let me know what the total is either way.
Thanks

Anonymous
Thu Jul 15th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Ok, the right side gasket will set you back $10.37, fork oil is $3.47 a bottle (5W or 10W), and coolant is $2.53 a bottle (will need 3 of these I think).

So total cost for the advancer:
$47.25 - advancer
$10.37 - gasket
$7.59 - coolant
$5 extra for shipping
-----------
$70. And I guarantee you will not get it cheaper anywhere else, period - this is just about flat dealer cost on all of this stuff.

Fork oil, I figure a couple bottles? I'll find out for sure. Going to definitely do mine, for $10 why not! (That $10 should include the shipping addon)

Carb Sync + TPS (you get both or none, since I need to buy parts at the same place and will just get all at once): $5

Suspension tune - as best as we can get it, $free

Short of jetting the bike, which I cannot do, these are the top upgrades along with the aftermarket filter, which Pachuco is doing as well.

Anonymous
Thu Jul 15th, 2004, 02:50 PM
I'd be looking to tune in the suspension, ignition advance, possible K&N filter.

Let me doulbe check the new date, but at first glance it seems fine.

Money Money Money, let me know how much and you'll have it!

We won't be replacing the springs or anything, but here you go:
Fork oil: $10
Advancer: $70
BMC filter: $67 (need to adjust for shipping there)

Let me know what ya want to do, will need the money within a week since I have to get the mortgage co their funds too.

Anonymous
Thu Jul 15th, 2004, 02:53 PM
I would like to do carb sync, TPS, and fork oil, brake and clutch fluid.

$15 for the first 3 things there. Brake+Clutch fluid = a good bottle of DOT4 or two, gonna be under $10 for those.

shmoab
Thu Jul 15th, 2004, 04:38 PM
I'll take everything except the bmc filter, already have a K&N. From the math I did it looks like 85$ without the kickback to you.
If you don't mind I will bring over a clutch lever and flush mount turn signals to install. I can do it myself but I may need a pointer or two. Do you need me to bring anything over?
How would you like to get the payment, mail a check or cash on the 31st?

MileHighHawk
Fri Jul 16th, 2004, 03:46 PM
I would like to do carb sync, TPS, and fork oil. $ on its way. Thanks!

Anonymous
Fri Jul 16th, 2004, 03:51 PM
shmoab - please mail the check, or paypal it.

Milehigh - how you sending me the money? I haven't said where yet! :lol:

MileHighHawk
Fri Jul 16th, 2004, 04:10 PM
I know, I PM'd you soliciting the info. Got ahead of myself.

Anonymous
Fri Jul 16th, 2004, 04:13 PM
I know, I PM'd you soliciting the info. Got ahead of myself.

You did? :? Never got it.

I'll PM ya with it.

shmoab
Sat Jul 17th, 2004, 02:31 PM
shmoab - please mail the check, or paypal it.

Milehigh - how you sending me the money? I haven't said where yet! :lol:

Ok...where to send it and exactly how much?

Pachuco
Thu Jul 29th, 2004, 10:50 AM
hey Ralph,
Is this still going on this saturday and did you get the parts in?
Where are we meeting and what time? your house? if so where do you live ? need some directions....
inquireing minds what to know. :)

Anonymous
Thu Jul 29th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Yeah, well, here's the deal kids... I will NOT have the parts in time for this Saturday. :|

So rather than just throwing out dates and all I want to let you all decide on when you are available. I am not going to be able to do it the weekends of the 7th/8th, or 28th/29th, but anything else is fair game. We can even do it over a couple evenings... Prolly should give it a couple weeks just to be on the safe side here. I'm not racing on the 15th so I'm certainly open to that one...

Let me know what you guys want to do here.

Pachuco
Thu Jul 29th, 2004, 08:25 PM
I am open on the 15th. that sounds good to me.

shmoab
Fri Jul 30th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Sundays are out for me. Any Saturday next month is good.

Anonymous
Fri Jul 30th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Ok, let me see what we can work out for a Saturday. 21st maybe?

shmoab - on your clutch lever, if you have the new one we can swap that out anytime really, it's easy to do.

Pachuco
Fri Jul 30th, 2004, 03:48 PM
what about the 14th?

Pachuco
Wed Aug 4th, 2004, 09:15 AM
So what date are we going to do this?

shmoab
Wed Aug 4th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Ok, let me see what we can work out for a Saturday. 21st maybe?

shmoab - on your clutch lever, if you have the new one we can swap that out anytime really, it's easy to do.

I already did it. I called Fay Myers to schedule the clutch lever replacement. The mechanic that answered the phone said he would do it for free if I brought my bike in. Then he said if I want to even save more time I just need to use a 10mm wrench, remove the bolt, take clutch lever off, put new one on, replace bolt, and tighten. It was really that easy and I felt like an idiot for losing a 2 weeks of riding time over it.

Anyway, thanks for the offer. When are we going to have this shindig?

shmoab
Mon Aug 9th, 2004, 06:56 AM
When are we going to get a date? I'm having a hard time keeping all my weekends open.

Pachuco
Mon Aug 9th, 2004, 04:25 PM
:imwithstupid:
Ralph did the parts come in?

Anonymous
Mon Aug 9th, 2004, 04:39 PM
They've been shipped, so I should get them this week (along with about 100 other things for my 600 from hell).

How about the 22nd? I'd like to keep that saturday open if possible in case I need shop-assistance working on the racebike, though the 21st isn't totally out of the question.

I feel bad for postponing it again and I know your schedules are a little more inflexible than mine, so let me know what works for you all. Only thing about the 21st, is that I will need to finish up by 6pm since I need to work that night.

Pachuco
Mon Aug 9th, 2004, 06:11 PM
No problem.
I am a go for the 22nd.
anyone else have an issue?
if not lets do it then.

shmoab
Mon Aug 9th, 2004, 11:13 PM
I don't get off work until 2pm on the 22nd. I can come over then if you think it won't be a problem.

Anonymous
Tue Aug 10th, 2004, 11:15 AM
I don't get off work until 2pm on the 22nd. I can come over then if you think it won't be a problem.

Yep, that'll work.

Spoiled
Thu Aug 12th, 2004, 11:03 AM
No problem.
I am a go for the 22nd.
anyone else have an issue?
if not lets do it then.
Someone forgot he is going to PPIR for the Honda Indy 225 that day. :roll:
Could you possibly work on it Sat the 21st
Ralph, do you know if you'll have to work for sure?

Pachuco
Sun Aug 15th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Ya I forgot that sunday is out for me. I would like to get this done though. let me know.

Anonymous
Tue Aug 17th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Saturday works for me too. Let me know what you guys want to do. If it's sunday it'd have to be late morning anyway, my work sat night got pushed back to midnight so I won't be getting home until about 4-5am on sunday. :|

Anonymous
Wed Aug 18th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Ok guys the following people are paid up and good to go:
- Pachuco: advancer, carb/tps, fork oil (bmc filter is coming later, I will get it to you at brecks, we can swap that in like 10 min)
- MikehighHawk: Carb/tps, fork oil
- shmoab: Advancer, carb/tps, forks

The following people still owe:
- Fastfreddy
- vtr1000rider
- coloradoray

Now two of the remaining wanted the advancer - the problem here is that somehow when I tallied this all up, I miscounted and only ordered 3 total. So, I don't have enough for one of you and will have to do it later (if you still want it). FF/VTR1k, first one of you with the cash and a commitment for this weekend gets it. The other one, I will work with over an evening or something. However if I don't have the $ then neither of ya get it, so pay up! :D

I will PM each of you with directions to my house for SATURDAY the 21st.

Pachuco
Sat Aug 21st, 2004, 09:53 AM
Ok I am going to be running a bit late. But i will be there by 11:30.
see ya'll there. :)

Pachuco
Tue Aug 24th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Many Thanks Ralph for putting this together and getting the parts. It was great to meet new guys with super chickens. :headbang: :rock: :yay: overall many thanks. The bike was running great till I got stuck in the rain sunday afternoon in the Springs. after that it wanted to die all the time. :x oh well I need to look at that issue now.

Anonymous
Tue Aug 24th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Many Thanks Ralph for putting this together and getting the parts. It was great to meet new guys with super chickens. :headbang: :rock: :yay: overall many thanks. The bike was running great till I got stuck in the rain sunday afternoon in the Springs. after that it wanted to die all the time. :x oh well I need to look at that issue now.

Describe what it's doing...

Pachuco
Tue Aug 24th, 2004, 12:52 PM
well lets see....
If I pull in the clutch all the way in it dies. ( have to be over 4000 rpm). over all stuttering, and coughing while riding. no power or hesitation, also won't stay idleing. i raised the idle to 1500 rpm and now it will stay idleing at stop lights. I am thinking that it might be running too lean but not sure.

MileHighHawk
Wed Aug 25th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Ralph,

Not sure if you got my PM but I'll post my thanks for your technical assistance and resources last Saturday. My Hawk's running great...much better than before. I like the sound of the Yoshi's too and so do my neighbors!

I'll be looking for you at Second Creek on Sunday.

Be sure and let me know about the cost of the TPS. If you need to reach me my cell number is 303-921-9093.

shmoab
Wed Aug 25th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Thanks again, rforsythe. Bike is running awesome and boy does it turn. I have been hot rodding it everywhere. It also sounds cool with the snorkel removed from the intake.

shmoab
Wed Aug 25th, 2004, 03:40 PM
To: Everybody that went to the Super Hawk wrench party.

I am missing the phillips insert for the Honda tool kit. I had it when I first got there but not when I packed up to go home. Can you please check and see if you accidentally took it?

MileHighHawk
Wed Aug 25th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Looked in my kit....not there....

Anonymous
Thu Aug 26th, 2004, 11:33 AM
well lets see....
If I pull in the clutch all the way in it dies. ( have to be over 4000 rpm). over all stuttering, and coughing while riding. no power or hesitation, also won't stay idleing. i raised the idle to 1500 rpm and now it will stay idleing at stop lights. I am thinking that it might be running too lean but not sure.

Well, the only thing which could cause a too-lean condition out of what we did, would be the vacuum valve on the fuel tank - lift the tank and check the small line that runs from the tank to the frone of the bike, it's the one we cut. Make sure it's attached securely and that the fitting we installed in the middle is still there and snugly on both ends. If it isn't, plug it in tight and make sure there's enough slack in the tube to keep it there when you drop the tank (will pull it rearward as the tank rotates). If that doesn't fix it, let me know and I will tank another look at the bike for ya.

MHH - yeah got your PM, I'm trying to see if I can find an extra one someone has lying around before I get a new one and all that. TPS is a TPS so I'm just tryin to find the cheapest one I can.

Glad all that work is making your bikes run better (except pachuco)!

Pachuco
Thu Aug 26th, 2004, 06:24 PM
my bike is running better, it might have been that I got in that rain storm so maybe water got in the air filter or something. who knows. I checked that line and it looked good. oh well. Thanks again for everything Ralph. Keep me informed about that air filter.

P.S. shmoab i looked in my stuff and sorry i don't have any extra parts.
sorry.

MileHighHawk
Fri Aug 27th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Pachuco,

If you take off all that crap you put on your bike from Auto-Zone, it'll probably run better!

Pachuco
Fri Aug 27th, 2004, 08:12 AM
:spit:
:lol: :lol:
Leave Vato Zone alone. :lol:
we all know that you enjoyed going there. :lol:

Anonymous
Fri Aug 27th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Tom - since you did pull the pair shit off of there, go poke around the front spark plug. Make real sure that the boot is pushed down tight on the plug, it's possible you knocked that loose. If water gets in there, no sparky and it runs like shit. Happens all the time on the SV650's, haven't heard of it on a superhawk yet but we have a front plug too (v-twin thing) so check that. I'd actually pull the boot off (may need to twist slightly) and put it back on. Make sure the terminals aren't corroded while you're in there.

Pachuco
Fri Aug 27th, 2004, 09:20 AM
cool will do tonight or this weekend. great idea hadn't thought about that