PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for the lights to change...

salsashark
Mon Jun 7th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Has onyone ever used any taffic light tripping accessories before? I've seen the magnets on ebay and the like and was cuious if they might actually work.

It's getting to hot out there to spend too much time at a traffic light waiting for it to change or for the traffic to lighten up enough to blow through it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

1000RR
Mon Jun 7th, 2004, 02:11 PM
The general concensus from the folks I have talked to about these magnet devices is that they DO in fact work, but not all that often. One guy quoted "5% success rate". For instance, those pesky lights that won't trip just by your bike's presence are normally so far out of adjustment that adding a magnet won't help.

It looks like the price of admission for one of these gadgets is low enough that its might be worth a try.

IQ
Fri Jun 11th, 2004, 10:39 PM
They work! Bikes don't have enough ferouis (<-SP?) metal to trip the signal. I had a "Green Light Trigger" and it worked great and was only the size of a book of matches.

Bueller
Sat Jun 12th, 2004, 07:16 AM
I have heard and tried on several occasions that dropping your kickstand and setting it on the pavement will trip the loop, seems to work pretty good. Just make sure you are in neutral :lol:

Gramps
Sat Jun 12th, 2004, 07:25 AM
i just check both directions and run the stupid thing :)

Dysco
Mon Jun 28th, 2004, 08:50 AM
I run the ones I know don't trip for me. The ones that do trip for me, I weave slowly over the loop when coming to a stop. Works great. No funny magnets necessary.

Sully
Mon Jun 28th, 2004, 02:28 PM
I have heard and tried on several occasions that dropping your kickstand and setting it on the pavement will trip the loop, seems to work pretty good. Just make sure you are in neutral :lol:

I have also heard that dropping your kickstand, setting it on the pavement, getting off your bike, running over to the street corner and pushing the button also works. At least I've seen Amazzon do this on a few occasions! :lol:

salsashark
Mon Jun 28th, 2004, 02:33 PM
I have also heard that dropping your kickstand, setting it on the pavement, getting off your bike, running over to the street corner and pushing the button also works. At least I've seen Amazzon do this on a few occasions! :lol:

Yes, I've use this technique from time to time, but mostly I just run the lights that won't change. The problem with that is that most of the lights in and around my office won't change so it makes getting to work on time difficult!

bulldog
Tue Jun 29th, 2004, 02:07 PM

I'll have to try that. I usually just run the stupid light too :twisted:

swademaster
Tue Jun 29th, 2004, 07:12 PM
When you run them make sure that there aren't the video cameras on top of the poles like here in Norhtglenn on 104th.

Quick636
Thu Jul 29th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Dropping the kickstand doesn't work on the ones around Lafayette. I bought one of those magnets a while ago, just never put it on.

I actually asked a lafayette cop about this, and while he couldn't tell me that I could run the light he did say he wouldn't give me a ticket if this were the case. He was also going to spread the word around to the other officers of this problem.

snatfinder
Fri Jul 30th, 2004, 08:27 AM
HA! Lafayette cops passing up the opportunity to give out a ticket? I think not. :x