PDA

View Full Version : Where 2 Ride

Buddau
Thu Jul 12th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I want to take my boys riding in the hills, but I don't want them dead.
I have heard of horror stories about Rampart. We still will try it during a week day.
Where would one be safe(r) with kids to enjoy riding trails.
Anyone ride the Grand Lake area? How about Central City?
Suggestions?
We will try these places once my thumb is healed.:banghead:

Bueller
Thu Jul 12th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Try these guys, they do some family stuff. http://www.nctr.net/

There is a lot of trails at Rampart, you don't need to ride the high traffic trails. In the years I have ridden there I have had 1 sorta head on, I think I have had closer calls with the "ricky racers" at the track.

InlineSIX24
Thu Jul 12th, 2007, 08:23 PM
There is some good stuff near Grand Lake right between Granby and Shadow Mtn. lake, but what I saw of it was pretty technical once you got off of the main back dirt road.

EssVee
Fri Jul 13th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I was at Rampart Range a few weeks ago, and was very impressed by the new trails they put in. They are on the opposite side of the main road as the Powerline Trail. You can tell they were aiming for 'family fun', the difficulty level being one step up from put-putting on the 627 trail (along the main road), but mostly easier than the rest of Ramparts. Nice and smooth, no whoops. Hardened, sometimes they dug down 3-4 feet to hit solid earth, and plenty of spots with embedded concrete. Lots of switchbacks and banked turns, especially on elevation changes. Nice and fun, but does limit visibility

Find a map instead of going exploring like we did. One of the first trails on that side of the road is marked green at the top. The first turn is a hairpin followed by a steep descent, and there is no 'green' way out of the valley you just got yourself in.

Anyway, that is my experience. Big Red Park, north of Steamboat Springs, has some good true singletrack trails, but I've only ridden there once. Good luck with the kids.

Buddau
Sat Jul 28th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Where is Carnage? We don't mind Jeeps, usually means wider-easier trails. Besides we own a Jeep.
Once I am able to ride again, we are going to try Rampart again. We will just stick to the easy "family" trails until next summer.
Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming.