PDA

View Full Version : What would you be thinking about?

pilot
Fri Jul 13th, 2007, 07:16 PM
While on today's ride we came across this situation. I thought it would make good fodder for posting up about ride safety.

What would you be thinking about while going through this turn?

http://img2.putfile.com/main/7/19319321183.jpg

mtnairlover
Fri Jul 13th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Ummm...there's no way I'm speeding through a construction zone. Slow down ahead of time, cuz I'm sure there was signage. Be on the look out for equipment and traffic along both sides of the double yellow. Stay in my lane.

UglyDogRacing
Fri Jul 13th, 2007, 07:26 PM
What would you be thinking about while going through this turn?

Get as much distance between Pilot and myself as possible. :eyebrows:

*KEN*
Fri Jul 13th, 2007, 07:54 PM
"I wonder whatever happened to those wonderful fruity drinks Burples. I should have started an all-Burple band..."

Matty
Fri Jul 13th, 2007, 08:05 PM
"I wonder whatever happened to those wonderful fruity drinks Burples. I should have started an all-Burple band..."
mmmm... all of a sudden i wanna a snapple.

pilot
Fri Jul 13th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Ummm...there's no way I'm speeding through a construction zone. Slow down ahead of time, cuz I'm sure there was signage. Be on the look out for equipment and traffic along both sides of the double yellow. Stay in my lane.Very good. You're keeping an eye on many of the variables. What do you think of what is hanging on the side of that truck?

Get as much distance between Pilot and myself as possible. :eyebrows: You are not an aspen tree, you have nothing to fear. Jim, how was Hastings this go-around?

mtnairlover
Fri Jul 13th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Very good. You're keeping an eye on many of the variables. What do you think of what is hanging on the side of that truck?

Holy crap!!! Is that a bike hanging on the side of that truck?!

It's just a pic, so I didn't see it the first time. I would actually move over to the right hand side of my lane if I saw something like that coming at me. Of course, I've been known to be oblivious to things that close to me, cuz I'm always looking further down the road. But, if I saw that when it was further down, then I would already be over on the other side of my lane.

Do I get a silver star now?:D

dm_gsxr
Fri Jul 13th, 2007, 09:23 PM
1. Too close to the guy in front of me. I'd slide to the right and back off a little.

2. Stopped traffic.

3. Debris or road construction.

4. Watch my mirrors for rubberneckers who may not see me stop in the event of any of the above.

Basically slow down.

Carl

dm_gsxr
Fri Jul 13th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Very good. You're keeping an eye on many of the variables. What do you think of what is hanging on the side of that truck?

I saw it but it looks like it's mounted to the rack on the back of the truck. Since it's a static picture, I don't know if it is or not but my moving to the right already would have prevented me from hitting it if it fell off and my backing off would have let me stop in time to keep from hitting the guy in front of me in the event he (or she) had to stop suddenly. Since I'm also aware of the guy behind me (if any), if sufficient time, I'd wave to slow down and maybe even slide into the construction lane and slow or stop.

Carl

tarded400
Sat Jul 14th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Looks like a great place for a wheelie... :dunno:

My first thought was that the white pickup in the right lane behind the cones probably doesn't give a darn about motorcycles and might merge into traffic and cut you off. Then I thought how much better time could be made in the right coned-off lane anyhow. :D

King Nothing
Sat Jul 14th, 2007, 07:16 AM
"I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly..."

Kendo
Sat Jul 14th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Trying to see everything and being aware.

Matty
Sat Jul 14th, 2007, 07:53 AM
in all honesty... i don't understand what's so dangerous about the picture??? we got constuction goin on back home all the time.

shit, just ride your normal pace, and keep your eyes open.

Aracheon
Sat Jul 14th, 2007, 08:17 AM
"I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly..."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Instantly the first thing that came to mind, because you can't see behind it in the picture, is "what the hell is behind that truck?" Then I noticed the bicycle hanging off the side.

PsychoMike
Sat Jul 14th, 2007, 10:57 AM
i wonder how fast i can slalom(sp) those cones.

kevplus2
Sat Jul 14th, 2007, 11:01 AM
same thing i am always thinking about...SIPDE

tarded400
Sat Jul 14th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Gotta watch out for sand and other pavement holes. Was in a very similar situation today. Wasn't very cool feeling boxed in on very bad pavement.

Repsol a095
Sat Jul 14th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I'd be thinking, "WTF, Pilot. Another ride that you left me out of!!!" Or, " If I go down, how much will Pilot charge me to glue my bike back together with his little JB weld kit that worked so well on his bike?"

xxuxx
Sat Jul 14th, 2007, 03:47 PM
I would be thinking: "did I just start my period? and, that guy in front of me sure has a cute tushy!"

mushin_man39
Sat Jul 14th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Dang, is Pilot going through this super-dangerous area with one hand on the bar and the other operating a camera?

BlackOakTree
Sun Jul 15th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I'd be looking for the cop car, because after all, fines are doubled in construction zone.

puckstr
Mon Jul 16th, 2007, 10:04 AM
i wonder how fast i can slalom(sp) those cones.

EXACTLY what I was thinking

ghostrider_9
Mon Jul 16th, 2007, 11:42 AM
I'm thinking, "How much longer can I ride before I have to get home?"

Sortarican
Mon Jul 16th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I have ADD so probably something like:

Cone.....cone.....cone......cone.....
Haha.....CONE....
That a weird sounding word....
COOOOOOWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNN.......
Wonder who came up with that?.......
:music:Coney-cone-cone-a-conna-romma:music:.......
Conehead's......haha........that was a funny SNL skit......
Hey, whatever happened to Lorraine Newman?.....
You never really see her in anything nowadays......

OH,SHIT A TRUCK!!!!!!!!

#1Townie
Mon Jul 16th, 2007, 06:35 PM
i think i would be thinking that taking pics while riding is probly not the best idea in the world...

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jul 16th, 2007, 06:57 PM
The first thing that comes to mind is around 100 yds prior to entering the 'cone-zone' I would evaluate the situation as to whether or not the idiot barricade crew placed the cones in the proper configuration and that I was on the correct side of the demarcation line. Don't kid yourself, I've seen screwball barricades configured in the WRONG configuration that lead traffic into the problem areas rather than away from them.

Seeing that the activity is fence repair/replacement it most likely would be prudent to observe any foreign material (NAILS and/or SCREWS) scattered about. One would have the best opportunity to do this at a SLOWER speed. I'd probably position myself in the left third of the lane closer to the center (yellow) line until I passed the construction zone.

Oncoming traffic is ALWAYS and issue. So the car with the bike can be considered nothing more than a potential menace.

Oh, and it's always a good thing to be in the correct gear in case you have to escape any goof that might want to screw with your ride.

Obviously too much thought needs to go into this sport. I think I'll hang it up. :D

Matty
Mon Jul 16th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Obviously too much thought needs to go into this sport. I think I'll hang it up. :D
no shit....