PDA

View Full Version : Blown Forks seals?

t_jolt
Sat Jul 14th, 2007, 09:22 AM
I was on a ride yesterday and hear a pop. Not a big one. just a "muffled" one if you will. It seemed that almost instantly my front end went soft. I could hit my front brakes and the bike would drop 2-3 inchs. This morning, i could bottom out my forks with my own body weight. So im going to assume that i blew my fork seals. Now what all does this intail to replace them? also my bike is parked about 10 miles from my house. Is it cool for me to drive it back to my place or should I trailer it? Also is anyone willing to guide me while i replace them? Im in lakewood, and it would come with a free pack of beer, or some money.

Thanks
Tyrel

tripledigits
Sat Jul 14th, 2007, 11:05 AM
I don't think it's a blown fork seal. It sounds like you've broken a spring or spring perch from your description. If you blew a seal, you'd just lose damping but not the support the spring provides. If you broke a cartridge or some other part of the damping assembly, you'd still have the support of the springs, and would not have that bottoming out feeling. Personally, I would ride it back home slowly, then pull it apart. My bet is a broken spring perch, which probably means you need to replace the cartridge, if your fork is a cartridge fork.

dchd1130
Sat Jul 14th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I don't think it's a blown fork seal. It sounds like you've broken a spring or spring perch from your description. If you blew a seal, you'd just lose damping but not the support the spring provides. If you broke a cartridge or some other part of the damping assembly, you'd still have the support of the springs, and would not have that bottoming out feeling. Personally, I would ride it back home slowly, then pull it apart. My bet is a broken spring perch, which probably means you need to replace the cartridge, if your fork is a cartridge fork.
:imwithstupid: I have blown a number of seals and have yet to hear one pop. If it was a seal you would be leaking fluid it wouldn't just instantly bottom out on you.

Mel
Sat Jul 14th, 2007, 12:51 PM
:imwithstupid: x2 :lol:
Forks are kinda one of those things that you might want to have done by someone who knows what they are doing too.

BlueDog
Sun Jul 15th, 2007, 10:42 PM
If they are indeed blown, which i agree with everyone else that they dont sound like they are, I'll help ya replace them. Just getting done doing the seals on my Superhawk at the moment.