PDA

View Full Version : Dirt NOOB ?'s

salsashark
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 10:47 AM
So I've been considering picking up a little somethin somethin to go and run trails with. Found a couple of potentials on CL and was wondering if there's anything specific I need to look for when checking out these bikes. Also, after reading a few of the other threads, any thoughts and opinions welcome regarding the following:

2002 Honda CRF 450 R

-or-

1999 YZF 400

I'm not looking to jump onto tracks or anything, just looking for a toy to go out and run around in the mountains on the weekends. Also, don't care about being street legal, that's what the 14 is for.

Thank you for any and all comments/opinions

EPICMOTOSPORTS
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Hey hows it going this is Mike from Epic Motosports. a couple of things to look for is tire wear, chain and sprockets wear and if fork seals are leaking. If the bike has numbers on it and other trick stuff on it, then it might have been raced and possible abused. normal wear on a dirt bike will be on the frame and engine cases above both footpegs so don't be too bothered by that. also check the frame right behind the front tire alot of times the paint will be missing in some spots not a big deal as long as it's not super rusty surface rust is ok kinda normal. about the two bikes the 450 is going to be a better bike in the way of its gonna be more rider friendly. also more parts are avalible for the bike. if you have any questions feel free to write back or give me a call at the shop
(303)485-1858
hope this has helped you out somewhat.

Bueller
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 04:56 PM
If you are interested in trail riding only, do yourself a huge favor and get an enduro bike and stay away from the MXers. Lights and a plate are worth more than you can imagine, a kick stand and e-start will greatly enhance your experience. I am quite capable of riding a YZ450 in the woods and did so last year but the WR is so much more fun and easier. I am way more comfortable and quicker on my EXC than I ever was on the YZ. Plus I can ride the road from one trail to another without worrying about getting popped.

salsashark
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the check points, and as for the bike... The WR/enduro style bike is definitely more up my alley.

Dysco
Wed Aug 1st, 2007, 10:00 AM
For some belated advice, I'd say get something smaller like a WR250F or an 250/300 EXC your first go-round. My 450 was almost too much when the going got scary.

BigE
Wed Aug 1st, 2007, 11:36 AM
Hey James, give me a ring and I can help you find a bike if you haven't picked up one yet.
-E