PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

G35CO
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I finally bought my first bike and now I need to buy the gear. I was thinking going with icon mainframe or domain helmet and icon motorhead leather jacket. What you guys think?

Sully
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 12:12 PM
If you like ICON, it fits, it's within your budget, you feel safe wearing it, then purchase it. Some people love ICON gear, but I for one, do not... but it's all in what YOU like :)

G35CO
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Bad experience with icon products or you just don’t like them?

Aracheon
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 12:15 PM
+1

I for one, won't wear ICON gear. I'm more preferential to Arai, Alpinestars, Shift, and MotoGP.

~Barn~
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 12:50 PM
If you dig their style, I say go for it. I'm just glad you're buying gear! Props to you.

ICON just has a bit of a reputation as being tailored towards townies, is all.

64BonnieLass
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Buy the gear that fits you the best, and offers the best protection within your budget. Different gear fits all of us differently. (that was a deep thought huh?)

Brand names don't mean anything if that particular brand doesn't fit correctly. The brand won't satisfy you if you are uncomfortable in said brand. :)

Suki
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 01:05 PM
and if you like leather jackets, are a female and wear a medium, then i have something for you! :D

64BonnieLass
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I'd look at your Leather jacket Suki, but I know you only by ICON fashion leather to wear when you post whore. :slappers:

Send me a pic to the email I sent you earlier about your resume and how much mula.

daemon
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 01:12 PM
i wear ICON,yet i'm not a townie.
the gear fits me well,is reasonably priced and makes this old man look a little better

Suki
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 01:27 PM
silly girl, i'm not a label whore! it's not Icon at all, it's Joe Rocket!

Suki
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 01:31 PM
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12158

there's the old link, the boots are sold. eh, i can't get into my email right now though for some foooked up reason.

636chick
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Actually I am a gear whore
I have several
Alpinestar
Joe Rocket and yes
ICON
I like them all
But I agree find the one that fits the best because being comfortable is almost as important as being protected

Helemt wise I am truely a shoei girl I ahve never owned anything else.

The GECCO
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Hmmm....my ICON helmets and jacket have always served me well. It's good stuff at a good value. I guess that makes me a "townie", whatever-the-fuck that is supposed to be.

I swear, some of you people are WAAAAAYYYY too concerned about labels, clothing, gear or otherwise :roll:

TMP
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 01:55 PM
+1

It's hard for me to find a helmet that really fits as I am in between sizes with a lot of manufacturers. My ICON mainframe fits great and I have no complaints.
OH MY GOD it's not a $500 SHOEI - guess I'll sell my bike and gear and buy a Lincoln Towncar!!!!!!!! LOL

~Barn~
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Hmmm....my ICON helmets and jacket have always served me well. It's good stuff at a good value. I guess that makes me a "townie", whatever-the-fuck that is supposed to be.

I swear, some of you people are WAAAAAYYYY too concerned about labels, clothing, gear or otherwise :roll:

I'm just saying that the general look and advertising efforts of ICON products, lend themself in a (quite obvious) different direction than say that of other outfitters. I have no contention with the quality of their gear whatsoever. Swear. I'd rather deck myself out in the brightest pink cowgirl outfit that ICON makes, than not wear gear on a canyon ride!

But come on G- ... Have you actually ever looked at any of their advertising?? It's a bit of a departure from say... Dainese and their advertising with Rossi, or Joe Rocket and their various riders. ICON has a market segment they're aiming for, and no matter what you say, it has infact guided the general (motorcycling) publics opinion of them. For better or worse. Let's not kid ourselves, when people think ICON, a distinct corrolation comes to mind. The guy asked what people think and I told him what people think. I wasn't insulting anybody who wears it.
EDIT: you short little bastard.

:lol:

TMP
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 02:01 PM
when people think ICON, a distinct corrolation comes to mind.

What is the corrolation you speak of????

~Barn~
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Perhaps I should make start another thead with a poll.

uberwench
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 02:13 PM

I'm with Glen. What's a "townie"?

I wear ICON stuff. Mainframe helmet (pink) and the Kitty chaps (also pink). Barn, you can borrow the chaps for a canyon ride. Guarantee you'll be visible and guys will hang out of pickup trucks and whistle at you. :eyebrows:

~Barn~
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 02:16 PM
I'm with Glen. What's a "townie"?

I wear ICON stuff. Mainframe helmet (pink) and the Kitty chaps (also pink). Barn, you can borrow the chaps for a canyon ride. Guarantee you'll be visible and guys will hang out of pickup trucks and whistle at you. :eyebrows:

Yeah, I know! I've seen those chaps in print! You're damn right I'd be lookin' if I saw a lil' sportike vixen roll up in a set of those! I kinda wish you would have opted for the baby blue though.
:oops:

Sully
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 02:30 PM
I just think they are more geared toward the people who say "hey, look at me" types.. ie. baby pink or blue chaps... etc. Not my style.. but some people like it, more power to them.... it's just not for me.. :)

I have also heard that their stuff doesn't stand up to the typical road rash... :dunno:...

But definite props to ya for buying gear.. and no, it doesn't have to be the $500 Shoei helmet.. :roll:... (for whoever posted that above and is now buying a Towncar) :lol: Just get a good helmet that fits you properly !!

The GECCO
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 02:36 PM
EDIT: you short little bastard.

Awright, that's IT! Meet me at the swingset at 3:15! You'll be walkin away with some badly bruised kneecaps, buddy!

I was actually applying the argument to both sides. Some people see the ICON label and call the rider a "townie". Who cares? On the other side of the coin is the person who gets upset because someone called him a "townie". Who cares? If someone wants to judge me and put me "down" based on my gear, or my polished R1, or any other subjective standard that seems to apply to "squids" or "townies" or whatever, I couldn't care less. They're only doing it to make themselves feel superior.

I'm not saying YOU are in that group, Barn, cuz I know that's not how you are. You were just pointing out that the stereotype exists, not saying that's how you feel. My attitude can be summed up in what I told someone not long ago when they tried to look down their nose at me - "The list of people on this planet whom I respect enough to care about their opinion of me is VERY short, and you aren't even close to being on it."

So, to get back to the topic and actually give some advice to G35CO - in my opinion this is the proper way to choose gear:

1) Check fit first. The amount of protection anything offers is directly related to how well it fits, little else matters as much as proper fit. This is most applicable to helmets and every manufacturer has a fitting guide, but it also applies a lot to gloves and boots.
2) Personal aesthetic preference second. This means brand names, colors, options like vents, shields, pockets, etc. Screw what other people think, get what you like.
3) Price third. Chances are that following #1 and #2 will leave you with more than one choice and I really doubt they will all be the same price, so it then comes down to what you are willing to pay.

Now go buy it....and WEAR it!

Suki
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 02:43 PM
i'd wear pink chaps, hell i'd wear the baby blue ones too, or the black harley ones... but, i'd probably never actually get out and ride WHILE wearing them.

nothing wrong with whatever brand you pick, just pick what fits, what you can afford and what's going to offer you the best protection for your comfort and $$.

and barn, be nice to glenn! he's the perfect height for boobies! :boobies: gettin all jealousy and shit in your cubicle, pfft.

~Barn~
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Good deal Glenn.

G35CO... listen to Da Gecco... He knows of what he speaks.

Sully
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 02:46 PM
I actually own a black pair of leather chaps :eyebrows:... and have worn them on occasion while riding my Hardley... :shock:... I won't tell you the other occasions :hump:.. :lol:...
I can't do the pink or blue.. everytime I think of those, I think of Bi-Britney and I want to vomit :puke:... <shudder>

Suki
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 02:56 PM
well atleast you didn't go and commit social suicide by being pinked out from helmet to shoes and then go and paint your bike peptol bismal pink! that's grounds for immediate shunning.

The GECCO
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 03:01 PM
G35CO... listen to Da Gecco... He knows of what he speaks.

Don't try to kiss up now, I meant it about those kneecaps! :scream1:

The GECCO
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 03:03 PM
well atleast you didn't go and commit social suicide by being pinked out from helmet to shoes and then go and paint your bike peptol bismal pink! that's grounds for immediate shunning.

What?? :(

Shit...I gotta go return some stuff.......

Sully
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 03:07 PM
ohhh Suki... I know exactly who you describe... all I can say is WTF :wtf: was this so called Princess thinking ? I mean I like pink just as much as the next girl.. but c'mon.. I even think my bike is a bit overkill ... eeeek !

Kendo
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 03:55 PM
This thread reminds me that I need new riding pants ..... hmmmmm ... I may just have to go pink......

:slappers:

G35CO
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Man I leave you guys for a few minutes and you start talking about pink stuff :)
Thank you for the wonderful advice but I must go and shop now

G35CO
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I forgot to mention that I can care less about people opinion that are base only on my look or in this case my gear. I buy the stuff because I like it and not to impress anyone or to get there approval. I’m more concern about safety, comfort and reliability.

64BonnieLass
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I forgot to mention that I can care less about people opinion that are base only on my look or in this case my gear. I buy the stuff because I like it and not to impress anyone or to get there approval. I’m more concern about safety, comfort and reliability.

:) Schweet. Hope you have great luck finding the best stuff you can.