PDA

View Full Version : Cost question. On breaks

fright88
Thu Jun 10th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Just curious what you all have paid for rotors? I just priced rotors for my 90 Kaw Police bike and it was over 1k for 1 rear and 2 front rotors and pads. Aftermarket is looking like around 700 bucks. Is this normal? I was expecting around a couple hundred bucks. But that was based off my dad who hasn't bought a bike rotor in 15 years. Anyways just curious.

kevplus2
Thu Jun 10th, 2004, 11:21 PM
yes, oem is generally alot higher

aftermarket is alomost always lighter, cheaper and better performing. rotors from companies like ebc or braking usually run around 350 each for the front and around 100-120 for the rear, but can usually be found a little cheaper. pads average from 20-40 per caliper.

i am not sure is this applies for your 90 kawi though. my experience is with standards and sportbikes.

if you are set on oem, you may want to check ronayers.com

fright88
Thu Jun 10th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Ohh no I will be going aftermarket. I was just a lil suprised. I had always been told how much cheaper bikes are to maintain then cars. But it seems to me to be about 2-3 times as much as a cars. Just a lil confused.

kevplus2
Fri Jun 11th, 2004, 12:14 AM
i hear ya on the cost. i have been telling the wife that lie for years :lol:

i think alot of the price difference is because of the focus on performance parts. not too many companies make a $5 lifetime warrantied brake pad for a 180 mph sportbike. even though there are cheaper parts out there, nobody seems to buy them (even though they would perform well enough for 75% of the riders out there)