PDA

View Full Version : oil change, when?

King Nothing
Thu Jun 10th, 2004, 08:21 PM
ok, my owners manual says to change the oil every 4k miles, but i have heard people saying it should be changed avery 2k or so. So, what is it? And what kind of oil should go back into the bike?

1000RR
Thu Jun 10th, 2004, 08:23 PM
what kind of oil should go back into the bike?

Clean oil?

King Nothing
Thu Jun 10th, 2004, 08:25 PM
yeah, i've changed oil in a car before, i kinda got the whole idea of clean oil. thanks for the input. :321: :D

Kitty Kat
Thu Jun 10th, 2004, 08:26 PM
yeah, i've changed oil in a car before, i kinda got the whole idea of clean oil. thanks for the input. :321: :D

He is a smart ass - ain't he? See what I have to put up with??!!??! :roll: :roll:

Bueller
Thu Jun 10th, 2004, 09:12 PM
ok, my owners manual says to change the oil every 4k miles, but i have heard people saying it should be changed avery 2k or so. So, what is it? And what kind of oil should go back into the bike?

Thats a loaded question, likely to draw as many different respnonses as the number of replies.

At minimum I would do what the manual recomends and I would use a synth at the recomended weight.

Gramps
Thu Jun 10th, 2004, 09:14 PM
read your owners manual for the correct weight

most are using a synthetic or a semi synthetic

i've used both and haven't seen a lot of difference

get a good oil filter (not fram or anything else cheap)

and you will be good :D

Gramps
Thu Jun 10th, 2004, 09:16 PM
oh yeah

and every 4 to 5K is fine on a bike

2K is overkill

no need :no:

Anonymous
Fri Jun 11th, 2004, 12:22 AM
I do every 3k. May be a little overkill, but it helps since you're riding hard sometimes and as your clutch wears, it deposits that crap into the oil (wet clutch and all).

I've used the Castrol 10W40 semi-syn and like it, also the Silkolene is good stuff (the 10w40 semi syn is fine, no need for Pro4 full-syn on a streetbike - that's racing oil and quite $$).

But, go get your oil from Gramps' shop. Help out another member's business and get some great advice while you're at it. :up: