PDA

View Full Version : How likely am I to get in trouble for this?

Aracheon
Sun Jul 22nd, 2007, 09:21 AM
Having the license plate mounted right here?

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4737&stc=1&d=1185117669

pauliep
Sun Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:16 AM
depends on the cop. If he is having a bad day, I can say it's reason enough to pull you over since you wouldn't be able to read it.

Aracheon
Sun Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:43 AM
That's kinda what I figured...

Nick_Ninja
Sun Jul 22nd, 2007, 12:01 PM
They'll bust you cold.

PhL0aTeR
Sun Jul 22nd, 2007, 12:53 PM
Ask brat

Aracheon
Sun Jul 22nd, 2007, 01:18 PM
Ask brat

Uh oh... LoL. Story time?

Feathered upstart!
Sun Jul 22nd, 2007, 02:00 PM
They'll take you down, take you down to China Town.

-kingnothing-

Bueller
Sun Jul 22nd, 2007, 03:11 PM
Never got hassled

Aracheon
Sun Jul 22nd, 2007, 03:33 PM
They'll take you down, take you down to China Town.

-kingnothing-

:lol: :lol:

mushin_man39
Sun Jul 22nd, 2007, 05:08 PM
$150.00 obscured plate. Easier just to cover it with one hand and roll the throttle a la Bash.

mclarke
Wed Aug 8th, 2007, 07:31 AM
I have seen people with springs or actuators on their plate, they hit a switch and it flips up... I guess thats if you run from the cops a lot.

Richard
Wed Aug 8th, 2007, 08:46 AM
i think as long as its "lit" and you can read it clearly "directly behind", "45 degrees from the left and right". As if you were in a vehicle, behind, and in the left and right lane.

i got a ticket for this and argued with him because mine was lit and clear from behind just not from the sides :(

BryanGSXR600
Wed Aug 8th, 2007, 09:09 AM
i dont think youll have any problems. i have mine that way now and had it that way on my gixxer as well

dapper
Wed Aug 8th, 2007, 10:41 AM
They'll bust you cold.
+1

Filo
Wed Aug 8th, 2007, 11:40 AM
They will bend you over the front of the cop car and won't use any lube.

I don't know if they will care, I just wanted to tell someone they should watch the corn hole.

Aracheon
Wed Aug 8th, 2007, 11:54 AM
I just wanted to tell someone they should watch the corn hole.

I'm not sure if that's sig material or not... :D

Nick_Ninja
Wed Aug 8th, 2007, 11:57 AM
I was riding with a guy a few years back. He had his plate stuffed up under the seat --- couldn't be seen. We rode for a three hundred mile day and on the return to the front range he gets nailed by the CSP in Clear Creek. The fine was mucho amount of greenbacks and they threatened to impound his bike and haul him off to jail. It opens up the door for them to ratchet up the Inquisition when they pull you over. It iddent worth the hassle.

Aracheon
Fri Aug 10th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Haha - same thing happened to me yesterday.

Coming back from Boulder on 36, apparently the officer catches me "weaving between cars." I was going around cars, yes... but weaving between them? Lane splitting? No. He spots me at McCaslin and he pulls me over at 287. I didn't even see the guy until I heard "Woop woop!" behind me. Great.

So I pull over onto the shoulder, officer walks up, "Can you give me a good reason for all that swerving back there?"

"Swerving? No sir... no good reason at all."

"Hmm. You do realize that that was fucking STUPID, and you pissed off alot of people, right?"

"Yeah... not the smartest thing I've ever done."

"I'll need to see your license and registration."

I hand it to him, he looks over it, and then asks me, "So where's your plate? Stuffed under the bike?"

"Yes sir. The dealer I bought the bike from had the temporary mounted there, so I figured that was okay?"

"Nope. We have to be able to see it, unobscured, from 50 feet away. You will have to fix that. I'll be right back."

The officer walks back to his car and sits there for a good 5 minutes when a 2nd CSP dude pulls up behind him. "Greeeeat... I'm fucked." They talk for another 5 minutes, and then the officer comes back with his clipboard. "Fuck... I'm screwed now."

He hands the license and registration paper back to me and says, "Here's what I can cite you for: Speeding. Reckless driving. Exhibition of power. Illegal lane change. Swerving. But... I'm in a good mood. I'm off in an hour. So here's what I'm going to do. This is a warning - you cannot be driving that bike with the plate stuffed under there. Too many motorcyclists are doing that shit where we can't see the plate and then they run when the lights come on. I appreciate you pulling over, being polite, and making this easy. I'm writing you a warning for the plate, it's $18. Just mail it in and be done with it. But if I see this shit again, I WILL impound you bike. Got it?"

I take the ticket and sign it. "I didn't know. Yes sir, thank you."

"Have a good day. Ride safely."

Looks like the plate is going somewhere else. LoL.

64BonnieLass
Fri Aug 10th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Awww...that was a happy ending. Sort of, kind of, mostly! :)

Aracheon
Fri Aug 10th, 2007, 10:49 AM
I am one happy son-bitch that he didn't write me a moving violation. My insurance is bad enough...

Sortarican
Fri Aug 10th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I am one happy son-bitch that he didn't write me a moving violation. My insurance is bad enough...

That's one of the few possitive encounters I've heard of this season.

Hope you fixed the plate, cause after a break like that he will bury you under the jail if he sees you again.

BTW,
The sideway plate mount that the customs like to use are illegal in CO too.

Aracheon
Fri Aug 10th, 2007, 03:40 PM
That's one of the few possitive encounters I've heard of this season.

Hope you fixed the plate, cause after a break like that he will bury you under the jail if he sees you again.

BTW,
The sideway plate mount that the customs like to use are illegal in CO too.

I'm going to figure out some kind of bracket for it tonight before I ride out to IMI tomorrow.

And yes, I've already had my experience with the vertical mounts. I managed to catch the corner of mine in a lean and it damn near flipped me off the bike. No more of that shit.

Feathered upstart!
Fri Aug 10th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Never got hassledi got hassled when I had my plate like that on my SV. 3 times. No tickets, tho.

-kingnothing-