PDA

View Full Version : Oh deer!

pilot
Mon Jul 23rd, 2007, 09:17 PM
Heading west bound on Pleasant Park Rd near Conifer I had a deer run out of the weeds on me. He was a young buck with fresh velvet on his 4 points. I managed to nudge the right grip and swing the bike around him as he tried to scramble to a stop. Oncoming traffic, two trucks and a car nearly collided as they slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting him. That was as close (see inches) as I've come to hitting a deer. Rick, 98rc54, was following me and said he wished he would have had that one on tape~ car tires squealing, deer hooves scraping and dust flying everywhere as I just floated on by.

McVaaahhh
Mon Jul 23rd, 2007, 10:43 PM
Pilot, you're just a magnet for bad things to happen bro.

Glad it was just a close call. :up:

Mel
Mon Jul 23rd, 2007, 10:59 PM
:lol: the deer are out in force lately...I hit one (kinda similar?) a month or so back, found a few tufts of fur stuck under fairing bolt and touched it with my hand as I slid past.

arcatacat
Mon Jul 23rd, 2007, 11:37 PM
Hey all. New member here. I have been lurking a while, but it's time I start posting, I think.

I ride to work every day past Red Rocks and I'm always afraid of a deer jumping out of those trees.

Now that the deer are in velvet, the boys are out and moving into new territory. You might have notices that you see more bucks these days than you do does. As we move closer to fall, you'll start to see them more frequently during the day (as opposed to dawn and dusk) when they're out looking for the ladies. The rut for Deer isn't in full effect until November, so it's only going to be worse for the rest of the summer.

Anyway, glad to be here... I'm looking forward to some of the group rides. I guess I'll do a real introduction on the "New Members" thread one of these days.

:)

Warren
Tue Jul 24th, 2007, 12:12 AM
That's crazy pilot and beotch yours is even crazier. I once made contact with a deer while riding my mountain bike! Then tonight one jumped right up onto the street in front of me. Good thing I don't have more than a drink when I ride the bike!

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jul 24th, 2007, 06:44 AM
One of my two deer stories:

I sliced a deer in half on McClure Pass once. Got a ticket too.

For leaving 500' of skid marks :D

yueh
Tue Jul 24th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Glad to hear you are out on the streets again, Pilot!
I've never been that close to a deer on a motorcycle, but I, too have been within 5' on the mountain bike, where there was definately less than 500' of skid marks...

pilot
Tue Jul 24th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Pilot, you're just a magnet for bad things to happen bro.

Glad it was just a close call. :up:Now saying stuff like that is just going to scare the wee folk, ha.

:lol: the deer are out in force lately...I hit one (kinda similar?) a month or so back, found a few tufts of fur stuck under fairing bolt and touched it with my hand as I slid past.On a different subject: Thought I saw you at the bowling alley last night. Turned out to be your twin.

Hey all. New member here. I have been lurking a while, but it's time I start posting, I think.

I ride to work every day past Red Rocks and I'm always afraid of a deer jumping out of those trees.

Now that the deer are in velvet, the boys are out and moving into new territory. You might have notices that you see more bucks these days than you do does. As we move closer to fall, you'll start to see them more frequently during the day (as opposed to dawn and dusk) when they're out looking for the ladies. The rut for Deer isn't in full effect until November, so it's only going to be worse for the rest of the summer.

Anyway, glad to be here... I'm looking forward to some of the group rides. I guess I'll do a real introduction on the "New Members" thread one of these days.

:)Good post up.

That's crazy pilot and beotch yours is even crazier. I once made contact with a deer while riding my mountain bike! Then tonight one jumped right up onto the street in front of me. Good thing I don't have more than a drink when I ride the bike!Yes, how would you control throttle with a drink in each hand?

One of my two deer stories:

I sliced a deer in half on McClure Pass once. Got a ticket too.

For leaving 500' of skid marks :DYour shorts are big enough for that.

Glad to hear you are out on the streets again, Pilot!
I've never been that close to a deer on a motorcycle, but I, too have been within 5' on the mountain bike, where there was definately less than 500' of skid marks...That's because your shorts ain't as big as Jeff's.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jul 24th, 2007, 08:30 AM
<snip>
Your shorts are big enough for that.<snip>

Back in 1984, when this incident occurred, my shorts were a whole lot smaller :D

pilot
Tue Jul 24th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Back in 1984, when this incident occurred, my shorts were a whole lot smaller :Dthat was before Enzyte.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jul 24th, 2007, 08:38 AM
that was before Enzyte.

Bingo.

http://www.karendecoster.com/blog/archives/steroids.bmp

Bassil Duwaik
Tue Jul 24th, 2007, 10:26 AM
thankfully you didn't hit it or it would have caused some major damage.

pilot
Tue Jul 24th, 2007, 10:50 AM
thinking about mounting these to the front

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/en/reports/air/1995/a95a0040/a41.gif

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Jul 24th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Man Pilot, sorry to hear about all the excitement you've had lately brotha! Glad you're ok. I'm not so worried about deer, it's the brain-dead cell-phoners I'm more concerned with!

Money55
Tue Jul 24th, 2007, 12:55 PM
hey close call man glade to hear that u didnt hit it and that u r ok that would of been crazy to see if u did get it on video

Carlsbad
Tue Jul 24th, 2007, 03:41 PM
ja - I split a group of 4 deer on 7 coming down toward Lyons a couple 'o summers ago - was in the middle of a curve - couldn't really do much so I held my line - and went right between 2 of them on the road. I rolled off the throttle - came to a stop and tried to stop shaking.

Super-zHero
Tue Jul 24th, 2007, 07:06 PM
yeah.... I hit one a few weeks ago going over squaw. I came around a corner at a pretty good clip when he just came out from behind some trees and I clipped him with my right hand. Always wondered what I would do if that happened and I guess I found out.... glanced at him, kept on the gas, tried to swerve (I think) and just strait hit him.

I was lucky enough that he turned back a little so that I just hit him right in the head with my right clip on, but it was hard enough to bend the brake lever further down than my fingers could reach so I guess it locked the front for a moment and then he got spun enough to hit the rear of the bike as I started to fishtail pretty bad. With eyes up the whole time :shocked: I managed to just keep on riding.

Saw him in the mirrors spinning in the road behind me and as I kept on riding trying to figure out if my hand was broken I started to feel bad for him so I turned back around to see if he was still alive :horse:. Came up on a dazed deer that finally got up and ran off after about three or four attempts. Got home and the wife looked at me crazy and asked what had happened. I asked why she wondered and she pointed at my coat with blood all over it. I was lucky.

98rc46
Tue Jul 24th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Nice job with the avoidance maneuver Pilot, a definite "glide" through the surrounding chaos. Would have made a cool video. The guy in the pickup looked like he was about to vapor lock - bambi probably did.

mushin_man39
Tue Jul 24th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Yeah! What 98rc46 said! You shoulda took a picture with one hand as you cruised through the confusion!

pilot
Tue Jul 24th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Yeah! What 98rc46 said! You shoulda took a picture with one hand as you cruised through the confusion!I would have but I was busy making a dry martini at the time.