PDA

View Full Version : Can you explain this to me?

1000RR
Fri Jun 11th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Why on earth are people covering their motorcycles with fur?? Is this the new squidly thing? I didn't get the memo...

It's not just this pic, I've actually seen this crap in person

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/uploads/may.jpg

CAMit...
Fri Jun 11th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Got me bro...

I think it loos a little lame to me...even worse than the latest paint job on mine.

Slacker
Fri Jun 11th, 2004, 03:07 PM
This is not new. There was a guy at Grand prix Motorsports that did this to his bike a couple years ago. I think it looks stupid. Got to be a bitch to get the bugs off :lol:

Anonymous
Fri Jun 11th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Been seein it for years now.

Probably follows the same mentality of whoever called the shop off Alameda, "Bling Bling Custom Wheels". :roll:

Filo
Fri Jun 11th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Like others said, this has been going on for years. My understanding (which is pretty poor) is that stunt people "fur out" their bikes to avoid having to replace the expensive stock body work that gets beat up as they are learning (or failing to learn :) ) the stunts. I guess a few yards of leopard print carpet is cheaper than all new body work. Next thing you know - :idea: - posers figure if they "fur out", then they can stunt in their minds. (BTW - Don't misunderstand me - I treat stunters with such disregard because I can't do a wheelie myself and it threatens my manhood).

Another competing theory is that these bikes have been stolen from the African plains and that they are used in their native habitat to stalk the ever elusive Honda Cheetah :D (I thought it was funny).

I think as a homework problem, someone in the club should watch all the pop culture dealing with furred out bikes: Torque, Biker Boyz, Barb Wire, etc and post a definitive answer to this sticky issue.

Stark
Fri Jun 11th, 2004, 03:52 PM
3 possible reasons:

(1) Taste (lack thereof). Also responsible for velvet Jesus paintings in living rooms, leopard-skin car seat covers in green DeVille's, etc.

(2) It's cheaper than custom paint.

(3) We're forgetting that instead of being a too-cool-for-school squid who for some unexplicable reason just furred a perfectly good sportbike, he could very well be a naturalist, like Jane Goodall and her gorillas, who has just camoflauged his vehicle for immersion in the African plains for a summer of living amongst the infamous torchjob cheetah packs.

Hope that helps,

-R

PharmerKyle
Fri Jun 11th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Dang it!

I was going to do that to the 750 and now I see that it's already been done. I'll just have to keep thinking.

Has anyone done Plaid vinyl graphics or astroturf yet??

And no, my bike can't get any uglier already.

R1ch
Fri Jun 11th, 2004, 07:56 PM
I think it just keeps his baby warm :roll:
If you stunt all the time, it is probably cheaper than a paint job and replacing all that plastic. You have your girlfriend sew a patch when you go down. Or if you have no girlfriend you glue it on :D

Punkin
Fri Jun 11th, 2004, 09:02 PM
It's definitely a stunter thing. The first time I saw fur (insert your favorite joke or insult here), was in Texas about 3 years ago. A buddy of mine has a Yamaha/Suzuki dealership, and 3 guys came in on bikes, with a 4th in a truck, and they bought 3 new gixxer 750s. All three had furred out their bikes. I had no clue. My buddy explained to me that stunters use obnoxious looking fur on their bikes to help protect/ hide scratches from when they drop their bikes.

I have not seen fur on bikes up here yet, but I am sure it's just a matter of time. Check ebay, there are always fur fairings for sale!

--Scott

green_zx7r
Fri Jun 11th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Why is the fur man pointing at me? He's making me nervous.

1000RR
Fri Jun 11th, 2004, 10:50 PM
HE wants to make wild manlove to you

thunderseye
Sat Jun 12th, 2004, 07:35 AM
yep a guy i rode with back home and wrecked a bunch. just furred it so he didn't have to buy new fairings

BenFolds5
Sat Jun 12th, 2004, 08:49 AM
If you're gonna do the fur thing, why not use a moose hide and replace your mirrors w/ antlers.

That would be cool... Right? :(

lifeon2
Sat Jun 12th, 2004, 09:55 AM
All in all I think its a stunter thing and a matter of personal taste I mean if you were a pimp that would be cool what I do find rather funny though is the occassional argument that furring it doesnt do anything to help performance and thats what sports bikes are for....from a guy with a polished frame and rims and all the other bling bling you can do to a bike of course I would never fur a bike but my fzr is getting blue velvet

R1ch
Sat Jun 12th, 2004, 10:46 AM
I do find rather funny though is the occassional argument that furring it doesnt do anything to help performance and thats what sports bikes are for

But it does! It allow for the coefficient of refractal and deflectional differental of the aerodynamic friction to deficate over a longitual angle in conjuction with the molecular cohesion to the fir strands which allows for better stoppy stability as well as better gas milage. As long as you comb it to get the bugs out every once in a while ;)

R1ch
Sat Jun 12th, 2004, 10:51 AM
HE wants to make wild manlove to you

I am sure the fur makes it more comfortable for non stunt activities as well.

yoda
Sat Jun 12th, 2004, 12:05 PM
the way i see it is that it is their bike and they can do what ever they want to do to it. i have seen some wierd ass stuff in pictures espically in regards to the sturgis rally. if i want to put four legs, tail, and a stuffed horses head (not real of cource) on my bike i will and would not care what anyone says because it is my bike and i did what i wanted to do to it.

R1ch
Sat Jun 12th, 2004, 12:58 PM
the way i see it is that it is their bike and they can do what ever they want to do to it. i have seen some wierd ass stuff in pictures espically in regards to the sturgis rally. if i want to put four legs, tail, and a stuffed horses head (not real of cource) on my bike i will and would not care what anyone says because it is my bike and i did what i wanted to do to it.

Ain't that America? I agree. I personally could not see my R1 in leopard skin but I am a little conservitive. I seen a guy the other day that had bull horns on his helmet. It make you kind of wonder, what kind of statement he is making though

KooLaid
Sat Jun 12th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Man, colorado really is in the dark ages. Either that was a joke to ask as question why or someone REALLY doesn't/didn't know. Fur does make a whole lot more sense for stunters than buying new plastic or painting it over, and over, and over, and over again. What's stupid is the stunter who buys new plastics every few months because he/she crashes it.

1000RR
Sat Jun 12th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Man, colorado really is in the dark ages. Either that was a joke to ask as question why or someone REALLY doesn't/didn't know.

Yes, I knew the reasons why. That being said, you must keep in mind that I don't personally hang out in stunting circles and as such am not as familiar with the customs of that particular species of rider.

If I woke up tomorrow with the idea that I was going to devote my bike to stunting to such a degree where I had to cover my bike with fur, I would just go buy a crash cage and keep my dignity intact.

firefghtr
Sat Jun 12th, 2004, 02:39 PM
:gay:

dgoldan
Sat Jun 12th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Get a load of this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2481621611&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Akira's Project
Sat Jun 12th, 2004, 06:34 PM
This is not new. There was a guy at Grand prix Motorsports that did this to his bike a couple years ago. I think it looks stupid. Got to be a bitch to get the bugs off :lol:

So, do they make scotchgaurd for something like that? :lol:
-Charlotte

elf
Sat Jun 12th, 2004, 11:49 PM
...... Fur does make a whole lot more sense for stunters than buying new plastic or painting it over, and over, and over, and over again. What's stupid is the stunter who buys new plastics every few months because he/she crashes it.

Isn't this where the original idea for the "Streetfighter" came from? (i.e. the unfaired sportbike....)

NZ Darren
Sat Jun 12th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Must be a pain when they get wet

Wonder if you can pull them off and stick them in the dryer

Anonymous
Sun Jun 13th, 2004, 04:31 AM

Leopard print? Or was is the zebra stripes guy?

It's a damn squid safari out there! :shock:

Slacker
Mon Jun 14th, 2004, 09:42 AM

Leopard print? Or was is the zebra stripes guy?

It's a damn squid safari out there! :shock:

The Zebra Strioes guy - I think his name was Chris

Pull-To-Start
Mon Jun 21st, 2004, 06:55 PM
I've seen a couple of bikes that were furred and they actually looked decent. Some of the "fur" looks better in person (I thought that it looked like sh!t in pic's). I may not have choosen some of the colors but then again I prob. would not have painted my bike some of the colors I've seen either. To each his own. Yes it's big in stunting when you know a good day is only goung down 3 times, however I think it's more of a statement (whatever that may be). Most of the "stunt" bikes that I've seen are scratched, dented, taped (color matched duct tape), mix match plastic, etc.