PDA

View Full Version : Front end wobble

elbromisto
Wed Jul 25th, 2007, 08:13 PM
I noticed recently that there is some kind of wobble in the front end of my bike. It's really only apparent when I'm going very slow such as creeping in traffic, and usually with the clutch in. The handlebars twitch rhythmically in time with wheel rotation but it's a small enough movement that speed or engine vibration largely mask it.
The first thing that came to mind was a warped rotor. However braking doesn't seem to affect the wobble one way or the other, which would suggest to me that the rotor isn't the problem.
Any ideas what about what is causing it?

Repsol a095
Wed Jul 25th, 2007, 08:15 PM
My bike was doing the same thing and it turned out that the wheel bearings were bad.

Bueller
Wed Jul 25th, 2007, 08:18 PM
worn tire?

elbromisto
Wed Jul 25th, 2007, 08:25 PM
The bike is a 2004 that's had regular maintenance its whole life...would wheel bearings wear that quickly?

Bueller
Wed Jul 25th, 2007, 08:26 PM
The bike is a 2004 that's had regular maintenance its whole life...would wheel bearings wear that quickly?
Do you pressure wash it?

elbromisto
Wed Jul 25th, 2007, 08:27 PM
No pressure wash. Also, it's only got about 8000 miles.

Repsol a095
Wed Jul 25th, 2007, 08:32 PM
That does seem early for wheel bearings. It might be your head bearing.

elbromisto
Wed Jul 25th, 2007, 08:44 PM
The real question is: how do I isolate the diagnosis? How do I check for freak early wheel bearing wear as opposed to head bearing or worn tire? Or too much coffee?

Bueller
Wed Jul 25th, 2007, 08:52 PM
You should be able to feel head bearing by applying front brake and rocking back and forth, wheel bearings you will need to get the front end off the ground on a stand and inspect, you might need to pull the wheel.
Front tire, how old is it? is it close to wear bars, any cupping? Sometimes at the end of their useful life they look like they still have some life but in reality they are shot.

elbromisto
Wed Jul 25th, 2007, 08:57 PM
So the head bearing is similar to checking the head on a mtn bike? The front tire is likely shot, although it looks decent. I hoped to afford one before too long anyway. There are no wear bars showing but it probably has 4k miles or more.

Bueller
Wed Jul 25th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I would say the tire is the problem then.

elbromisto
Wed Jul 25th, 2007, 09:01 PM
I actually didn't realize it had been that long until this second. This is where I blush and hope no one I know read this post. Also here I go to the shop...
Thanks, man!