PDA

View Full Version : My brakes are in dire need of some help

Aracheon
Fri Jul 27th, 2007, 07:11 PM
It's absolutely ridiculous how soggy the front brakes on my F4i have become. There's still an ample amount of the OEM pads left, but at 22,000 miles with a pretty negligent first owner, I figured I'd give swapping out the fluid a try. Using Motul DOT4 seemed to help for about the first week... now they're right back to where they were before the fluid change.

I'm now beginning to think it's the lines. I just ordered a set of front and rear Galfer stainless steel lines which should be here next week - but I want to eliminate as many variables at once as I can, by also replacing the pads. For a healthy combination of track, street, and canyon riding, what should I be looking at? I know next to nothing about pad manufacturers for bikes.

Jayock
Sat Jul 28th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Galfer, vesrah, EBC all good. Also, if you dont do a super quality bleed job, the smaller bubbles will rejoin to make big, spongy bubbles later. After a bleed, its a good idea to tie the brake lever shut to force them all together over night, then bleed again. And vacuum bleeders do not do a good job.

Bleeding is the single most important part of a brake system.

Aracheon
Sat Jul 28th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Thanks, Justin.

I actually used a vacuum bleeder last time, too. The bike is still torn down from the tuneup I am working on, so I'll add re-bleeding to the to-do list today. I just looked at Galfer's green organic pads... $35/pair for front or rear... so a total of about $105. Is that reasonable?

TFOGGuys
Sat Jul 28th, 2007, 10:34 AM
We can sell you the front and rear EBC HH pads for $28 per caliper, CSC price. Vacuum bleeders work well enough, but there are some tricks to make them truly effective. Email me directly or call me at 303-216-2400 and I can give you some tips.

Aracheon
Sat Jul 28th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I'll give you a call. :D

McVaaahhh
Sat Jul 28th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Chris, I had the same problem on my F4i. Definitely give Jim a call at TFOG, he'll set ya up right. :up:

A good power-bleed was all mine needed.
--Brian

Aracheon
Sat Jul 28th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I will say that Jim is hands-down one of the most helpful people I've ever dealt with at a motorcycle shop. +1!

I've got a new can of Motul DOT4 and EBC pads ready to go on once McCoy Motorsports gets off their ass and sends me my $@%&ing brake lines.

Aracheon
Sun Jul 29th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Well, screw it... I decided to put the pads on anyway and wait for the better brake fluid till the lines come. And it's a night and day difference after the change... and I think THIS might have something to do with it...

GixerSix
Mon Jul 30th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the pic, mine look very similar a little thicker but still COVERED in carbon. I'm about to change them out for the first time, but don't want to bleed if I don't have too. Took them out last night and couldn't jam the new ones in yet (have another post with details).

Aracheon
Mon Jul 30th, 2007, 09:59 AM
You'll have to compress the pistons before you can fit a chunkier pad in there. ;)