PDA

View Full Version : Frame Sliders and Engine Problems

McVaaahhh
Mon Jun 14th, 2004, 12:20 PM
So I've got two questions and I'm hoping somebody can help me out here.

I have a 91 CBR f2 with almost 27,000 on it.

Frame Sliders: Are they worth it? If so can I use them on my bike (fairings cover the frame)? Any ideas, thoughts? :idea:

I could also just strap my Shoei to the side and use that as a frame slider...seems to be pretty popular way to do it. :lol:

Engine Problems: When I start the bike up when it's cold I get a ticking sound coming from somewhere in the engine, sounds like it's in the front somewhere. It goes away when the bike gets warmed up, but when I ride and then stop for a short period of time like 5 min or so when I turn the bike back on the ticking is VERY loud and kind of worries me. Still goes away though after a min or so.

Anybody have any ideas what this might be. I'm somewhat handy around the garage so if it's simple I could fix it, or else anybody know a good shop to get it fixed at?

Thanks a bunch. :rock:

Hoopty
Mon Jun 14th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Frame sliders- Yes, they are worth it.

The noise is your cam chain tensioner. You can keep riding on it, and as you mentioned, it goes away when warm. HOWEVER, if it does go, your engine is fooked, period. You can get a manual CCT for $50 from APE. Call TK or TFOG, they can hook you up. :)

McVaaahhh
Mon Jun 14th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Right on, thanks for the tip.

Will I be able to change it relatively easily, or are we talking about ripping half the bike apart?

I'm pretty new so who are TK and TFOG?

Thanks man. 8)

Hoopty
Mon Jun 14th, 2004, 12:38 PM
From what I'm told it's fairly simple, and no, you won't have to tear the motor apart. I bought one for my bike, but still have not put it in. :oops:

McVaaahhh
Mon Jun 14th, 2004, 12:44 PM
well I guess it will be worth trying, I can probably screw it up quite well, but then again, I'm good at breaking things. :banghead:

Anonymous
Mon Jun 14th, 2004, 12:54 PM
APE manual CCT on my GSXR was easy to install, though I had to remove my throttle bodies to get to one of the bolts. You may have to get creative to get to it but it's not terribly difficult. It just bolts onto the outside, and applies pressure on the chain guide inside the motor.

yakuza
Mon Jun 14th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Check out the forums at http://www.cbrworld.net I'm sure you can get help there, might even have a tutorial on the main page.

bulldog
Mon Jun 14th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Frame Sliders have saved me tons of money. Without them I would have already had to replace both side fairings.... :bow:

I was told by Bart at TK that a CMT is very difficult to install. It was going to be at least $100 dollars for the labor alone. Maybe it is different because I own an F4I or maybe Bart just wanted the business and wanted me to think it was beyond my ability :shock:

yakuza
Mon Jun 14th, 2004, 02:20 PM
It's a lot harder to get at the CCT on the F4i than it is on the F2/F3. It took me a couple hours to switch mine over to the manual CCT on my F4i, so I can understand his labor charge.

bulldog
Mon Jun 14th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Thanks Yakuza.... Come on you want to put mine on right :D ?

Seriously though, we could work something out, just PM me if your down to help a poor guy out.

yakuza
Mon Jun 14th, 2004, 04:19 PM
:lol: PM sent. :)

KooLaid
Tue Jun 15th, 2004, 01:09 PM
CCT on the older CBR's should be alot simpler since there is hand room behind the CCT. I changed mine on the F4i and it was a pain, no room to move your hand. I'm sure Alex will steer you right on that. I'm dreading having to adjust mine......so i'm stalling...........