PDA

View Full Version : brake pad, too tight fit

GixerSix
Mon Jul 30th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Q1:
I was able to take my previous pads (front) out with ease but the new ones won't jam in there. Is there a way to relax the pistons so I have more room to push in the new pads? I guess some people take off the entire caliper and screw it all back together, I don't want to do that. Plus since the new pads are thicker if I don't adjust the pistons will it be like having the breaks 35% ON all the time unless I retard the pistons a little?

Q2:
My right rotor is a little loose and it's not loose at the bolts, it's loose at the circles in the middle, are these pressed when the rotor was made? and can I tighten them or do I have to buy a whole new rotor ($$$!)?

rybo
Mon Jul 30th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Put the old pads back in and use a screwdriver to pry them apart. The pistons will go back into the caliper. I also strongly suggest doing some good cleaning at this time. Get some brake cleaner (use gloves, this stuff is pretty bad for you) and clean up the calipers well This will keep them running smoothly.

If it's only the right rotor check the buttons and make sure they are tight. There should be large allen bolts in the carrier that you can tighten up if necessary. Otherwise, check that left rotor carefully and make sure it doesn't do the same thing. Some rotors are desiged to "float" on the carriers. This makes them run more smoothly. It's a good (and usually expensive) feature

Sortarican
Mon Jul 30th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Put the old pads back in and just wedge something between them to expand the pistons.
Preferably none metalic if you want to save the pads, if you're trashing them, a large screwdriver and twist.
Might want to drain a little fluid from the resevoir too or it could overflow.
(Brake Fluid + Paint = Bare Metal.)

EDIT:
Damn You Scott, you must type fater than me!

GixerSix
Mon Jul 30th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks dudes. I'll jam those pistons down, I did some sqrewdriver/elbow grease last night (and even got one pad in) but didn't want to damage the rotor and was unsure the pistons could be pushed down.

Float = good? The thing that had me nervous was the left doesn't move while the right has a little travel, how do I tighten these "buttons" the middle part is completely tight (I guess I really don't need too)?

Jayock
Mon Jul 30th, 2007, 10:12 AM
I would strongly suggest removing the calipers. Its only 2 bolts on each caliper. Will keep you from damaging the rotors while separating the pistons.

You don't need to remove the lines or anything else, just the caliper mounting bolts (2x each side)

rybo
Mon Jul 30th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Float is good if they are designed to float....bad if they aren't. Most of the "buttons" ive seen that attach the rotor to the caliper have an allen head in them. Try tightening those.

rybo
Mon Jul 30th, 2007, 10:13 AM
I would strongly suggest removing the calipers. Its only 2 bolts on each caliper. Will keep you from damaging the rotors while separating the pistons.

You don't need to remove the lines or anything else, just the caliper mounting bolts (2x each side)

Good call justin...I missed that the calipers were still attached to the forks....take those off for sure. Clean them up nice while you're at it!

GixerSix
Fri Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:42 AM

All done, thanks dudes. Yeah it was much easier to push the pistons down when the calipers are removed!

DIY!!