PDA

View Full Version : Clutch for the F4i

Big-J
Tue Jun 15th, 2004, 08:40 AM
So the clutch on the Honda needs to be replaced, it's feels the same way the gixxer did right before it went out. I was wondering what kind of clutch I should get, stock or aftermarket?? My roommate was telling me to either get a Sachs clutch or a stock one but not Barnet. What do you all think??

The GECCO
Tue Jun 15th, 2004, 08:52 AM
I've been through a lot of clutches in the racebikes and never found anything that works as well as OEM....

Big-J
Tue Jun 15th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Thanks Glen, can you suggest the best/cheapest place to buy from??

The GECCO
Tue Jun 15th, 2004, 09:18 AM
dunno, really, just call around to a few of the Honda dealers and see what their prices are like, or maybe put out a message in the general forum to see if anyone works at a dealership and can hook you up. there are usually a few OEM discount houses advertised in the back of road racing world, but you have to pay freight and sometimes that eats up nearly all of the cost savings.

I can tell you that OEM will be more expensive than just about any of the aftermarket stuff, but I feel it's worth it. plan on spending around $100 for the fiber plates (total, not each) and more than that if you need to replace the steels. unless the clutch is really cooked the steels should be fine, just hit them with a scotchbrite pad before re-installing them.

yakuza
Tue Jun 15th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Servicehonda.com is one of the cheapest places I've seen for Honda parts, but you'll need the Honda part # to look up. You can find that on one of the microfiche sites, or the service manual.

Also give Sun Enterprises a call, if I read right in the MRA Season program they offer discounts to MRA racers (good excuse to go get that license!).

Big-J
Tue Jun 15th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the info guys!! I will call around and see who has the best prices!

I would like to get my race license sometime soon, I just don't have the time or the funds to do it at this point!

KooLaid
Tue Jun 15th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Yup, I heard the very same thing on Honda parts like clutches. Go oem, avoid barnett. I guess there "was" an issue with the plates stacking up too short from thin plates or something. So you'd have to add an extra fiber plate..... can't recall very acurately......

Big-J
Wed Jun 16th, 2004, 08:05 AM
I ordered an OEM clutch yesterday for about $68! :) Now anyone have any idea how to install it?? :? If anyone has some experience puting one on and would like to help me out, that would be great!! I would supply the brew's and some grub no doubt!! :)

The GECCO
Wed Jun 16th, 2004, 09:06 AM
it's pretty cake, if you can get a hold of a service manual you can do it yourself. I'll help if you wanna haul it to Fort Fun and it isn't on a race weekend, or I'm sure there are quite a few others on here who are closer that can get it done.

Big-J
Wed Jun 16th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I was told it was pretty easy to do also! But the only thing is Im not a multi-tasker, its either hold the manual or doing the clutch!! :lol: Seriously though, I don't have the tools or the space to do it myself and I would like some help from a "pro"! So I may just take you up on that offer Glen, Thank You for offering!! :) :up:

bulldog
Wed Jun 23rd, 2004, 12:07 PM
I have a manual on disk. I could burn you a copy.....