PDA

View Full Version : Riding the twisties with respect

awilbur77
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 02:33 PM
So, this is my first ever post, however I've been a reader for a long time now. Since I started reading on this site, I found several of the posts entertaining, and some concerning, and judging the average maturity factor of many posts, I decided that I would likely not fit in with this crowd, so I never bothered to come to a MoCo ride, etc.

So, I was out this weekend riding on Sunday, and the gf (a newbie this year) was riding with me (on her own bike). And she'd already come along pretty well since the beginning of the season, and thus we were keeping up a spirited pace from Nederland out to Lyons.

Then some friggin moron on what I think was a black R6 (couldn't really tell), appears in my mirrors and is not only riding my ass, but standing on his pegs, swerving back and forth accross the road demonstrating both disrespect, and his ignorance. Even though, I am sure to him... he was demonstrating his need to get by me (even though I was already keeping up a decent clip at 15 - 20+ mph over the speed limit). This dipshit was riding with a buddy on a KTM I think?

So, I decide to ignore this numbnut and just ride my own ride. Five minutes later, he roars past me (at nearly 110mph) at the enterance to a left hand sweeper, not only scaring the living shit out of me, but also risking his own life by crossing the double yellow at the enterance to a corner.

About 500 ft later I slow down... pull over to the side to let what I assume is numbnut #2 on the KTM go by.

I then resume my original pace only to catch up with these morons as numbnut #1 :loser: is riding wheelies behind a SUV he had caught up to.

I back off to keep my distance from this chump, and then they go screaming past 3 cars and 2 other bikers in a no passing zone, at which time I was praying for a cop to be rounding the next corner (and I hate cops).

So, I thought this might be a good time for a post about why I don't ride with you guys, why I never will.

If you must go that fast... go to a track. I really don't care if you kill yourself, I just feel bad for the other innocent people that will get hurt by people riding like this. I feel bad for people who have to pay higher insurance premiums because of morons like this.

In fact, I even feel bad for the people who get stuck in traffic for hours when the police and EMTs are trying to find pieces of your body out on 119.

-- AJ :doublefinger:

rybo
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 02:40 PM
Hey AJ,

I'm not sure who the guy you speak of was, and he may well post here, but what you describe isn't the type of riding that we condone, promote or organize. The club has a huge range of personalities and I know that there are lots of riders here that ride the way you do. (I'm one of them). This last weekend we had a huge track day at Pueblo where 63 of us participated. Many took on further riding education during this day and learned how to be better, safer riders. In 6 hours of riding on the track we had only one person fall down and that caused no collateral damage. This is the kind of event we organize. Anyone here is free to post up a ride they are doing, but you'll see quickly the good ones and the bad ones. I invite you to give (some of) us a chance. I'm certain you'll find people you'll like riding with.

Best to you

Scott

64BonnieLass
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 02:45 PM
This post makes me sad. :(

By all means ride with whomever you feel most comfortable - even if you choose to ride with nobody at all.

However, please do not catagorize us all into the same catagory of this one particular disrespectful, dangerous, ass hat.

It's really not fair to all the folks on this board who are great riders, great teachers and great friends.

Hope you have better experiences in the future.

pilot
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 02:46 PM
Aj,
Considering that you live in Erie, perhaps you might go out to IMI sometime and meet a few members there. I'm sure that you'll find that they are, in general, a decent bunch.

awilbur77
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 02:52 PM
However, please do not catagorize us all into the same catagory of this one particular disrespectful, dangerous, ass hat.

It's really not fair to all the folks on this board who are great riders, great teachers and great friends.

True... and after re-reading my post I can see why it could be taken that way. However, it wasn't meant as a generalization about everyone on this site, just an observation and a rant. If you don't fall into the category of disrespectful, dangerous, ass-hat, then I am sure that you'll agree that there's still a bunch of disrespectful, dangerous ass-hats among the folks riding the twisties every weekend.

Devaclis
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 02:58 PM
There ARE a bunch of people like that. I see them every day. You are going to miss out on a lot by ostracising an entire community of riders, most of which are dedicated to rider education and safety and elevating our public image in Colorado.

Enjoy your rides!

dirkterrell
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 03:05 PM
If you don't fall into the category of disrespectful, dangerous, ass-hat, then I am sure that you'll agree that there's still a bunch of disrespectful, dangerous ass-hats among the folks riding the twisties every weekend.

Agreed. And that's why I don't ride too much up there and I'm pretty selective about who I'll ride with on the streets. I ride pretty damned conservatively on the streets. I'm usually riding with my brother in law who just started riding last year so we take it nice and easy. I get my need for speed filled at the track. You'll find quite a few in the CSC who share that mentality. As Pilot said, if you're in Erie come on out to IMI and meet up with us. I've taken to going there on Saturdays since the crowd is smaller.

Dirk

awilbur77
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 03:13 PM
IMI - hmmm... might have to try that. I'd be a newbie at the track though. Anything I need for the bike to do that? I got the gear/leathers already.

Brian428
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 03:17 PM
Well of course they must be members of CSC, they were on sportbikes. I just love the general stereotypes and categorization people use. As was said above, you should actually meet up and ride with us sometime before making statements like that.

McVaaahhh
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 03:35 PM
I hear you man, there are a bunch of asshats out there that ride like they're in a gp race and are generally a menace to everyone around them.

I also agree that you should not judge a club or a group by a few jackasses, and am slightly offended by your statement that you would never ride with me or any of my friends because of someone (that may, or may not be in this club).

I invite you to come out to the Morrison Conoco on Sunday for our noob ride. This is going to be a very slow paced ride aimed at teaching some of our newer riders good lines and techniques. This would be an excellent opportunity to meet some of us and join us for a nice, safe ride. :up:
Check out the canyon carving section for more info.

Hope you can make it, if you do look me up.

--Brian

64BonnieLass
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 03:48 PM
Oh yea, that's a good idea B. Come on out on Sunday.

It will be a very well mannered group and will prove your first post wrong about us.

And if someone does decide to "act up", they are gonna get lit up like the god damn forth of July by me personally (yea I'm so bad at 5'4), with I'm sure a few people standing behind me agging me on.

Come play! :)

sky_blue
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 03:49 PM
IMI - hmmm... might have to try that. I'd be a newbie at the track though. Anything I need for the bike to do that? I got the gear/leathers already.

$35, and fold in your mirrors (or remove) and you're good to go. Let a little air out of your tires if you feel like it.

Your first time out, ask a not-noob to show you the "line" around the track, and explain protocol for passing and exiting, as well as what to do if someone crashes. Maybe watch a few laps before you head out. Ask anyone out there on two wheels for advice, people are generally happy to help out.

daemon
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 04:00 PM
i know these types you speak of.
they are very few(if any) in this group.
i ride mostly in the northern section,but make my travels across the board.
i have yet to find one person in this group that i dislike or feel go out of their way to be dangerous.
there are many that are far more capable than i,but i never push myself to become them.

the general type you speak of would most likely be not allowed on the next ride if (he,she)were to mis-behave in the fashion you speak of.

i'm no angel,but damn sure wouldn't risk people around me for a little bit of fun.

BTW...the northerners are having a newb ride up and through trail ridge road on august 19th.
we leave awfull early,but it would be good to show you that not all of us are asshats.

Devaclis
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 04:03 PM
The term asshats offends me. The verbal stunting is in this thread dangerous and uncalled for.

64BonnieLass
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 04:09 PM
Smack my hand then give me a hug brother. I started it.

daemon
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 04:12 PM
would you prefer bumhuggers????

Slo
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 05:21 PM
AJ, I agree with many things you said, but you have to remember also, your 15-20 over the limit could be seen by others on 2 and 4 wheels as reckless no matter if you thought and felt it was still safe.

I get "spirited" as well when I am up there, but that's a big reason why I try to stay at a track now whether it be the infamous IMI or trying to move on to bigger tracks now. My streetbike won't allow me to go as fast through the turns.

If you can come to IMI this Saturday, let me know, whether it be to ride, or just come out and observe, get a feel of what goes on there and see how some of the CSC'ers are. I think you'll find that most of us tend to agree as far as riding opinions.....

Spiderman
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 05:58 PM
AJ,

I think this statement is what made your post appear to be a generalization about everyone on this site:

So, I thought this might be a good time for a post about why I don't ride with you guys, why I never will.

I also took offense, for reasons already refuted by others. I think you've got the point, so I won't beat a dead horse (hopefully nobody else will either).

Keep the rubber side down. 8)

awilbur77
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 06:22 PM
OK I get the point. Yet, another point, there are likely some "ass-hats" like that within CSC... but do you think they are going to own up to it. Doubt it. Ass-hats remain quiet with threads like this, because after all they are ass-hats.

Slo
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 06:27 PM
So don't be an ass-hat, come on out with some of us and I am pretty sure you will see a different side from what you originally thought. :)

Bueller
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 06:32 PM
I'm a fucking http://home.comcast.net/~bueller999/images/animated/asshat.gif

pilot
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 07:12 PM
I'm a fucking http://home.comcast.net/%7Ebueller999/images/animated/asshat.gifF-duck!!! He beat me to it!

Jayock
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 07:21 PM
Whats a twisty?

yueh
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 08:08 PM
I have actually ridden more than I post (quite obvious for those who are proficient in mathematics), and have never witnessed the wheelie behind the SUV move. I have seen the passing over the double yellow into a blind corner, or the passing on the inside in a blind corner, however none of those people ride twice with the group. As a disclaimer, of course, the people on the rides are not always CSC'rs, sometimes some stragglers show up, decide a group ride sounds fun, and end up being of the chapeau-derriere sort. I hate all generalizations, anyway.

I do, however appreciate the work of a word smith, i.e. ass-hat. Damn creative, original, and the stuff that keeps posts like this jovial. :cheers:

suzinpink
Tue Jul 31st, 2007, 09:20 PM
aj...

first off... kudos to your girl for ridin her own ride!!!! all about that!

Second... the whole generalization thing.. I second... or third? forth is it??? Ah hell, where ever I come in I ______ it. (beat'n the dead horse)

Third... there are more sportsbike clubs out there. I know of at least one popular one that PROMOTES stunt/risky riding.

Fourth... the people who post on here are my friends. Seeing as how everyone else is willing to let your generally insulting "first ever post" slide, I will too. But if this is a reflection on YOUR personailty, I'm all game for you keep'n it just with your girl. No insult to you, but I for one, don't need someone throwing insults at me or anyone I care about.. especially considering the lack of information you obviously had when you did it.

Cars-R-Coffins
Wed Aug 1st, 2007, 12:33 PM
The only asshats I know say stupid stuff like...
...at which time I was praying for a cop to be rounding the next corner (and I hate cops).

In my 7 years of riding on the street I have not met more responsible riders as those I have met through CSC.

I have a good title for your next post "Why I will never post on CSC Forums again."

~Barn~
Wed Aug 1st, 2007, 12:53 PM
+1 to that.

Emotionally charged rant or otherwise, your wording sucked dick AJ, and you still haven't apologized. Feel free to return to your station as "reader".

Spiderman
Wed Aug 1st, 2007, 02:37 PM
I have a good title for your next post "Why I will never post on CSC Forums again.":|

+1 to that. ... Feel free to return to your station as "reader". :|

Emotionally charged rant or otherwise, your wording sucked dick AJ, and you still haven't apologized. This I will agree with, but c'mon peeps - we've given others multiple second chances when they've ruffled more feathers than this.

:horse:

Stop it.

konichd
Wed Aug 1st, 2007, 03:00 PM
Funny how XXUXX gets away with this continually, yet AJ post up once and people want to show him the door :lol:

Devaclis
Wed Aug 1st, 2007, 03:05 PM
Dave, I am gonna have to ask you to leave. That was pretty harsh man. You hurt me, deep.

~Barn~
Wed Aug 1st, 2007, 03:42 PM
Funny how XXUXX gets away with this continually, yet AJ post up once and people want to show him the door :lol:
[Bill Lumbergh]
M'yeah... I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on this one.
[/Bill Lumbergh]

AJ's post came in out of left field and just started trashing the club, us as members, our riding philosophy, and basically the integrity of our club in terms of our commitment to safe and responsible riding. He didn't really pull any punches in expressing his dislike for us, and one didn't really have ace "Reading Comprehension" to pinpoint the purpose of his post. He even included the ever popular "doublefinger" in summation, to drive home the point to those that chose to skim through the meat & potatoes of it all.

We responded in-kind.

xxuxx on the other hand, just posts seemingly nonsensical threads and outrageous comments that, despite being rather comical to most of us, have no greater effect than just giving us club members threads to whore in, or an opportunity for us to rant and moan and bitch. Sometimes it's even cute to see one of us take her seriously, and drop a "why don't you show up" on her. It's good clean waste-of-time fun. And too me, it's never really struck me as being a pointed attack at the CSC, which AJ clearly was delivering. Not even close.

Now maybe you're just pulling my leg, and I'm falling for it hook&line. After all, you did use a :lol: in your post, so my spideysense might be missing the sarcasm. But then again, I definitely recall you melting down over xxuxx in the past, so I have to conclude (assume), at least some level of sincerity.

Either way though.... AJ and xxuxx are singing entirely different tunes, so I don't see the parallel you're alluding to.

Plus, if this thread were so xxuxx'esq, Scott would have deleted it hours ago. :lol:

j/k Scott. We all know you aced Reading Comp. ;)

mra# 527
Wed Aug 1st, 2007, 04:22 PM
I had a very similiar deal last Sunday. So Im riding Morrison canyon and
this dumb Foooker on a 600rr honda is coming up behind us. Im on a
998 duc my buddy a 03 R1 so first he comes up on my buddy with
the R1 and rides right beside him. Then he does it to me. I give him my
best what the FOOK are you doing look. Then he proceeds to show me
his killer riding skills. Why he felt that he had to ride right next to me
at 10 or 15 over is beyond me.

Ok rant over.

lightning126zp
Wed Aug 1st, 2007, 04:42 PM
You can come down for some southern hospitality...we love some new faces down here.

awilbur77
Wed Aug 1st, 2007, 06:44 PM
For those that keep claiming you are not beating a dead horse and yet continue to beat a dead horse.... you must be right.... I must just be an asshole and was out to intentionally piss off everyone on this site. Glad you guys pointed out my personality flaws for not wanting to ride with dipshits doing wheelies and riding like fucking shitcakes.

I have always been the quiet anti-scoial type, and I thought that I might try to break out of that trend. Oops... guess I fucked up. SOOO... when you see this asshole (me) on my 2007 Red FZ6, just flip me the finger, or for you ass-hats... pull in front of me and wheelie for a little while. I will kindly respond by flipping you the finger back.

See ya... glad I created a thread that at least gave some of you shit to do during your workday.

64BonnieLass
Wed Aug 1st, 2007, 06:56 PM
AJ,
Please don't get upset. Come ride with us on Sunday. You will probably meet some great people, maybe make a friend or two, and have a nice safe, fun ride.

Come meet us and have some fun. And I think "SHITCAKES" should be the new "word for the day" hee hee.

Κανελλόπουλος
Wed Aug 1st, 2007, 07:31 PM
My experience with CSC has not in any way likened to your story. I'm still new to the club but I NEVER stop hearing about rider safety and technique. Self improvement seems to be the main goal of the majority of the members. Everyone I've met has been very welcoming and I have yet to ride with an ass-hat. The 19-20 year guys I work with are a different story :( but I won't categorize all 19-20 year olds with them.

Spiderman
Thu Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:37 PM
There's nothing left of the horse. Locking the thread.