PDA

View Full Version : To jet or not to jet?

surfinspacegirl
Fri Feb 21st, 2003, 11:53 AM
Hey guys

I've been reading through the altitude gain - power loss thread and wanted to ask you a couple of questions re: my SV.

I've been thinking of getting it jetted and dyno'd to correct for the Jardine slip-on I have and the power loss at altitude, but reading through the thread, I'm now not 100% sure if it's worth doing. (But then again, maybe I'm just dense and all that talk of Ram-Air and physics confused me :lol: ).

I'm not going to be racing the bike, so mostly it will be riding around Colorado, "Hoopty's Military School of Wheelies" :lol:, maybe 10 or so track outings and some roadtrips, some of which will get close to sea-level.

With that in mind, my question is, is it worth rejetting, or will doing so at altitude mess me up for when I'm closer to sea level? Should I bin the jetting idea and look at changing sprocket size up/down? Or combine the two?? :?

I'd like to get as much out of the bike as I can with my current limited budget... :roll: and being a complete novice in the "ninja art" of bike tuning :oops: , advice, comments and even raucous laughter will be much appreciated....

Thanks

Hanna

Cap
Fri Feb 21st, 2003, 01:40 PM
Absolutly! Jet that thing! Once you get it right, you'll wonder why you waited until now.

Husky
Sun Feb 23rd, 2003, 09:41 AM
I agree, correct jetting is absolutely crucial. You may want to pull your plugs and check the color, this will tell you which way to jet your bike, up or down. If your not a do it your selfer, try TFOG in Golden.

Anonymous
Sun Feb 23rd, 2003, 10:55 AM
Mmmmm, jetting... :D

surfinspacegirl
Sun Feb 23rd, 2003, 07:58 PM
I agree, correct jetting is absolutely crucial. You may want to pull your plugs and check the color, this will tell you which way to jet your bike, up or down. If your not a do it your selfer, try TFOG in Golden.

Hmm, while I have taken a carb apart, cleaned it & managed to put it together again so it worked :shock: , I think this is a bit beyond me. Although the last time I pulled one of the plugs (swearing a lot 'cos Mr. Suzuki obviously has smaller hands than me :lol: ) the residue was definately very light grey...... I'll give the guys at TFOG a call. Thanks :D

Anonymous
Sun Feb 23rd, 2003, 10:07 PM
Although the last time I pulled one of the plugs (swearing a lot 'cos Mr. Suzuki obviously has smaller hands than me :lol: ) the residue was definately very light grey...... I'll give the guys at TFOG a call. Thanks :D

That's normal color, indicative of a slightly rich mixture. For stock jetting, it's right on. Call tfog, you will like what you get back out of it... :D

Greg
Thu Feb 27th, 2003, 12:11 PM
What will be the effect of a re-jetted engine when you go back down out of signifigant elevation...would you be running overly-rich?

Anonymous
Thu Feb 27th, 2003, 03:01 PM
What will be the effect of a re-jetted engine when you go back down out of signifigant elevation...would you be running overly-rich?

You would have an abundance of air - too lean.

surfinspacegirl
Thu Feb 27th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Is this going to be a problem in terms of causing damage? Or will it just make the bike sluggish at lower elevations? :?

Anonymous
Thu Feb 27th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Is this going to be a problem in terms of causing damage? Or will it just make the bike sluggish at lower elevations? :?

Well, I wouldn't run it like that for extended periods of time, but for a little while I think you'll be ok. People take Denver-jetted bikes down to sea level all the time with no issues. You'll actually gain power compared to Denver, it just won't be like if you were jetted for sea level.