PDA

View Full Version : Rotella T 5W40 Where do you guys buy it?

rhicks
Thu Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:51 PM
I want to try it out.

I've looked at Pepboys, Advanced, Checkers, and the truck stop near 44th/ward. Nobody has it. Where do you guys that use this stuff get it around here?

rybo
Thu Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:58 PM
probably wal-mart, but if it's for a bike do NOT get 5W40 as it likely contains friction modifyers that may be bad for your clutch. Go with 15W40 instead.

Scott

BryanGSXR600
Thu Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:00 PM
ya and you can find 15W-40 pretty much anywhere in big jugs because thats what diesels use

Fly boy
Fri Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:01 AM
whats so special about rotella?

rhicks
Fri Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:53 AM
whats so special about rotella?

Other than reading than people saying they have had really good results with it, I don't know.

What about Shell Advanced Ultra 4 10W-40? Anyone tried that?

DuckSTer
Fri Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:10 AM
probably wal-mart, but if it's for a bike do NOT get 5W40 as it likely contains friction modifyers that may be bad for your clutch. Go with 15W40 instead.

Scott

Note: Many oils designed for automotive use have friction modifiers. It will say so in the SAE stamp. Another key phrase to look for is "Energy Conserving"

Pasted from another forum as follows:

I spoke with a chap from Mobil 1, that seemed like they were getting alot of calls on this matter, as I only made a few words out and he said yes. Yes our beloved gold cap has been changed to add the dreaded friction modifiers to it. It now meets the GF-4 specs, which DOES NOT PLAY WELL WITH WET CLUTCH BIKES.

Yes to Wal-Mart. It's about the only thing I'll purchase there as I prefer to shop elsewhere.

Ducati (most) = dry clutch = not a problem

rhicks
Fri Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:00 PM
I found it at walmart for $16.88 gal.

"ROTELLA T oils do not contain friction modifiers that are added to many passenger-car-only-oils"
(from http://www.shellusserver.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=904&page=22)

InlineSIX24
Fri Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:03 PM
Rotella 5W comes in synthetic which I use in the truck. I haven't heard of anyone trying that in the bike though.

merlin
Fri Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:24 PM
Rotella 5W comes in synthetic which I use in the truck. I haven't heard of anyone trying that in the bike though.

I ran the Rotella T synthetic exclusively in everything but the Buell while I was in Texas and could FIND it. I really like the stuff, personally.

Here's an oil article I like quite a bit:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html (http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html)

Merlyn

InlineSIX24
Sat Aug 4th, 2007, 11:52 AM
I was worried about running the syn 5W in the bike because they are more slippery and could cause clutch issues, but it sounds like he has used it with no issues.

rhicks
Wed Aug 8th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I ended up taking it to tfog and getting silkolene semi put in it instead. I'm taking a trip to SD this weekend and don't want to risk "new" oil. I've used silkolene before and have no complaints with it.

Priller_Nate
Mon Aug 13th, 2007, 06:36 PM
I get my Rotella 5w40 at Walmart and have used it in my bike for the past 2 oil changes. It contains NO friction modifiers and works absolutely fantastic. Many many people use it in their bikes with great success. Do a google search and you will see. My bike shifts better with the stuff than with the Motul semi-syn stuff and is like half the cost.

tripledigits
Tue Aug 14th, 2007, 08:49 AM
I've used the Rotella 5W40 syn in bikes with good results.

(( LO LO ))
Tue Aug 14th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I have heard really good things about the Rotella 10W40 being used in 4 stroke dirtbikes as well. I am looking for it as well, and have yet to find a dealer near me in Fountain.

merlin
Wed Aug 15th, 2007, 02:07 AM
I have heard really good things about the Rotella 10W40 being used in 4 stroke dirtbikes as well. I am looking for it as well, and have yet to find a dealer near me in Fountain.

Dunno about 10/40, but the 15/40 non-synth you can get anywhere- All the car parts places I have checked so far, Wally World, and even a number of gas stations carry it- for about 8-9 bucks a gallon.