PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug Removal / Spark Test

McVaaahhh
Sat Aug 4th, 2007, 09:01 AM
I can't seem to get the plugs out of the Kawi.

I'm assuming it's a 5/8 socket, but the problem I am having is that the 5/8 does NOT fit down the sleeve to the plug. I've tried pretty much every socket that will fit down the sleeve, but none of them will turn the plug, they just spin.

So, has anybody changed the plugs on a zx7 before? What size socket do I need?

I can't get the bike to fire so I was going to pull a plug to see if I get any spark. Is there a better way to test to see if I'm getting juice to the plugs without pulling them?

Thanks!

pilot
Sat Aug 4th, 2007, 10:48 AM
It would be rare that all you plugs would crap out at the same time.

Pull a plug wire, stick a small diameter Phillips head screwdriver in the end of the plug wire then hold the metal shaft near a ground (engine block) turn the key over and watch for spark. If there is no spark then pull the lead wire from the coil (or whatever crazy tech you bike is made from) and do the test that way also. Many times the wire becomes loose. Also, check you ignition circuit breaker/fuse/wiring. Sometime the wire is a fusable link that can blow and you can see this by a blister on the wire. Good luck.

McVaaahhh
Sat Aug 4th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Bought a tester from AutoZone for $8.00. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't an electrical problem first.

Ends up the fuel pump is disconnected, but I don't see the other end that it plugs in to. :shrug:

Going to rig it so the pump runs and see if I can't get this monster to fire up. :D

Devaclis
Sat Aug 4th, 2007, 01:36 PM
If you wiz on it and it does not start, you should probably just get another bike.

DYNO
Sat Aug 4th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I had to buy a special tool to get the plugs out of my ZX7R. I have about 200 sockets and couldnt find one that would work. I paid $12 to Fay Myers and had the plugs out in about 20 minutes.

Where are you at? Maybe you can just borrow mine.

McVaaahhh
Mon Aug 6th, 2007, 08:05 AM
I had to buy a special tool to get the plugs out of my ZX7R. I have about 200 sockets and couldnt find one that would work. I paid $12 to Fay Myers and had the plugs out in about 20 minutes.

Where are you at? Maybe you can just borrow mine.

Yeah, that's what I needed, and ended up borrowing one on Saturday.

Thanks for your offer though, I appreciate it. :up: