PDA

View Full Version : SLIPPER CLUTCH DO'S AND DO NOT'S

motaboy
Mon Aug 6th, 2007, 09:27 AM
I JUST PICKED UP A BRAND NEW GSXR K6 AND AM IN THE PROCESS OF BREAKING IT IN. SINCE THIS BIKE IS THE FIRST BIKE THAT I HAVE RIDDEN WITH A SLIPPER CLUTCH ARE THERE ANY PROCEDURES THAT I NEED TO FOLLOW DURING BREAK IN TO NOT DAMAGE THE CLUTCH? ALSO ANY OTHER GENERAL SHIFTING POINTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED (IE DOWNSHIFTING WITHOUT THE CLUTCH.)

THANKS,
MOTABOY

rybo
Mon Aug 6th, 2007, 09:31 AM
no different than a regular clutch. Just be careful that first time you go into a corner hot.....there won't be as much engine braking as you expect.

Nice bike...have fun and be safe!

Scott

motaboy
Mon Aug 6th, 2007, 09:37 AM
IN REGARDS TO A REGULAR CLUTCH, THE SERVICES TECHS AT THE DEALER SUGGESTED NOT DOING ANY CLUTCHLESS SHIFTS UNTIL THE FIRST SERVICE WAS COMPLETED. ANY TRUTH TO THAT?

Devaclis
Mon Aug 6th, 2007, 09:39 AM
[Caps Lock] please

mclarke
Mon Aug 6th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Caps Lock is cruise control for cool :D

konichd
Mon Aug 6th, 2007, 09:46 AM
IN REGARDS TO A REGULAR CLUTCH, THE SERVICES TECHS AT THE DEALER SUGGESTED NOT DOING ANY CLUTCHLESS SHIFTS UNTIL THE FIRST SERVICE WAS COMPLETED. ANY TRUTH TO THAT?

My 06 ZX-10R has a slipper and I wouldn't EVER clutchless shift. Break the bike in and then add a quickshifter (Cordova (sp) or Dynojet) if you want to clutchelss upshift. :)

rybo
Mon Aug 6th, 2007, 09:48 AM

That's more transmission than clutch and I'd say it's a good recommendation.

~Barn~
Mon Aug 6th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Clutchless upshifts (if you do 'em right anyway), will cause less wear and tear, than a complete engagement/disengagement. Just FYI.

Aracheon
Mon Aug 6th, 2007, 11:42 AM
On the topic of slipper clutches... who makes 'em and where can you get 'em?

rybo
Mon Aug 6th, 2007, 11:46 AM
There are several manufacturers, two of the big ones are STM and Yoyodyne, but I warn you, there is nothing cheap about these things. Retail on a decent slipper clutch is about $1000....and that doesn't come with plates (which wear out faster because they slip...)

It's a great tool for the racetrack where you're charging into a corner, waiting till you see god, then banging two downshifts and hitting the brakes. It's "cool" on the street, but very very far from necessary. I would never buy one for my street bike, I'd get 2 sets of tires and pay Dave to set up my suspension instead.

konichd
Mon Aug 6th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Drop the Honda and get a Kawi, they come standard with slippers now :)

Aracheon
Mon Aug 6th, 2007, 12:05 PM
There are several manufacturers, two of the big ones are STM and Yoyodyne, but I warn you, there is nothing cheap about these things. Retail on a decent slipper clutch is about $1000....and that doesn't come with plates (which wear out faster because they slip...)

It's a great tool for the racetrack where you're charging into a corner, waiting till you see god, then banging two downshifts and hitting the brakes. It's "cool" on the street, but very very far from necessary. I would never buy one for my street bike, I'd get 2 sets of tires and pay Dave to set up my suspension instead.

Holy monkey Jesus! Nevermind. I didn't think they were THAT pricey...

My R1 had a slipper also. ;)

But my insurance prevents me from buying anything brand new that even closely resembles a sportbike... so I'm married to this little Honda for quite some time.

dirkterrell
Mon Aug 6th, 2007, 12:49 PM

About time they caught up. My 1985 Honda VF1000R has one. :p

Dirk