PDA

View Full Version : WTF does this mean in the oil window???

McVaaahhh
Tue Aug 7th, 2007, 05:36 PM
So what does this mean?

Oil window was clean, ran it for a little while to get it warm. It seemed to run rather well, a little bit of smoke out of the tailpipe, but I couldn't tell what color, but it looked white, or slightly blue.

Blown head gasket?

Filo
Tue Aug 7th, 2007, 05:46 PM
White smoke from the tail pipe and milky oil can mean a blown head gasket. Usually, you can tell the blue smoke from its smell too. Both symptoms are produced by getting H2O in the dead dinos areas. Could also be a crack in the water jacket somewhere from freezing. Not likely this month though. You can always go for the optimistic girlfriend-accidentally-poured-water-in theory and change the oil and see what happens. Head gaskets are pretty easy though.

Or, it could just be ejaculate in the oil. Have you had DK over lately? I hear that is his idea of fun. (I am assuming this is the Kawaski).

McVaaahhh
Tue Aug 7th, 2007, 06:12 PM
White smoke from the tail pipe and milky oil can mean a blown head gasket. Usually, you can tell the blue smoke from its smell too. Both symptoms are produced by getting H2O in the dead dinos areas. Could also be a crack in the water jacket somewhere from freezing. Not likely this month though. You can always go for the optimistic girlfriend-accidentally-poured-water-in theory and change the oil and see what happens. Head gaskets are pretty easy though.

Or, it could just be ejaculate in the oil. Have you had DK over lately? I hear that is his idea of fun. (I am assuming this is the Kawaski).

Yeah, this is the Kawi. Been sitting a while (according to the previous owner) so the cracked water jacket is a possibility. I'm hoping it's the easier, and cheaper, head gasket. :D

And no, I haven't let DK near that thing just for that reason.

denverbusa
Wed Aug 8th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Since it has been sitting for a long time, did you change the oil prior to running it?

If not it could just be a couple years of condensation in there and the smoke is unrelated. You could get a lot of buildup if it sat outside and got morning sun after cold nights. Try changing the oil with something cheap just to find out and not waste 40+ bucks on oil thats gonna get water in it incase it is something broken. Use the cheap motorcyle oil from checker or ??? so the modifiers dont fuck with clutch. It wont hurt to use that for a little while just while you are fiddling with it. Just put the good stuff in before you start running it hard.

So other than water in the oil and smoke out the exhaust how is that bad boy running? Did you get what you paid for or did you get a diamond in the rough? Since it is at least running the worst case senario isn't true.

Bassil Duwaik
Wed Aug 8th, 2007, 09:39 PM
without a doubt you've got water in the oil. As to why or how could be a number of reasons.

McVaaahhh
Wed Aug 8th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Since it has been sitting for a long time, did you change the oil prior to running it?

If not it could just be a couple years of condensation in there and the smoke is unrelated. You could get a lot of buildup if it sat outside and got morning sun after cold nights. Try changing the oil with something cheap just to find out and not waste 40+ bucks on oil thats gonna get water in it incase it is something broken. Use the cheap motorcyle oil from checker or ??? so the modifiers dont fuck with clutch. It wont hurt to use that for a little while just while you are fiddling with it. Just put the good stuff in before you start running it hard.

So other than water in the oil and smoke out the exhaust how is that bad boy running? Did you get what you paid for or did you get a diamond in the rough? Since it is at least running the worst case senario isn't true.

Changed the oil once and that picture was taken afterwords.

It is running like a raped-ape, so i think I got my $500 worth. :D

Bassil Duwaik
Wed Aug 8th, 2007, 10:00 PM
There's some stuff that you can drop in the rad that may fix the leak but I'm not sure if those things are only for cars or will they work on your ride. I'm sure you could try it. It may give you a few hundred more miles if you take it easy but more then likely that head gasket is going to have to be replaced

McVaaahhh
Thu Aug 9th, 2007, 06:28 PM
It means water, lot's of water.

Drained the oil again and it looked like Chocolate Milk.:cussing:

Oh well, time to tear an engine apart.

Anybody have that special Kawasaki tool to remove the mounting bolt lock washers?

scott_tiller
Thu Aug 9th, 2007, 07:25 PM
We've got a homemade tool that works. You can borrow it if you like, let me know.

puckstr
Fri Aug 10th, 2007, 08:26 AM
All in all you still got a good DEAL for $500
It may not be a total loss. Tear her apart & fix it so that when you hit the track you will know it is 100%. You will have the added satisfaction of knowing that YOU did it.

AshliRider44
Fri Aug 10th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Hey that looks familiar :lol:
The same thing happend to us last year on a race weekend in Pueblo. Give Faster Motorsports a call, Bart figured out what it was but I cant remember :dunno: Not a bad fix though, pretty easy if I remember correctly.

Bueller
Fri Aug 10th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Waterpump seal?

Sortarican
Fri Aug 10th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Q: "WTF does this mean in the oil window??? "

A: That you bought a Kawi.:slappers:

J/K Bro,
Welcome to my world, I blew the head gasket on the Triumph coming back from the track day.
Luckily mine has no water in the oil so it didn't leak between galleries.

Hopefully yours is just the gasket and not a cracked head or case.
Let me know if I can help, many hands make light work.

BTW,
Check this link for manuals on it: (Though it looks like they only have your bike in German, still the schematics might help)
http://blackbears.ru/index_en.php?get=manual

BigE
Fri Aug 10th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Water pump seal would be my guess. That happens alot with dirt bikes.