PDA

View Full Version : Bike down on Highway 14/Pics

vegasbound
Thu Aug 9th, 2007, 03:43 PM
I was riding up to NorthPark West on Highway 14 yesterday when I came across this......Anyone know who's bike this is??

This morning it looks like the speedomoter and headlight were taken/stolen form the scene..

Nick_Ninja
Thu Aug 9th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Supprised you didn't find a body. Come to think of it, it might be hundreds of yards from the point of impact. Where in NP was it?

vegasbound
Thu Aug 9th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I don't know the area very well, but this was about 50 miles West of I25 on highway 14.

Pretty bizarre sensation just stumbling into this. Bike and parts had orange warning tags it would all be towed/removed in 48 hours...

I know those speedometers go for around $130-$150 bucks on ebay, so I wasn't that surprised it was missing this morning...

McVaaahhh
Thu Aug 9th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Bummer, hope they made it out alright. :(

konichd
Thu Aug 9th, 2007, 03:55 PM
I'm going home to grab my trailer even if it is a Gixxer :)

BryanGSXR600
Thu Aug 9th, 2007, 04:28 PM
yea that seems a little wierd... anyways, hope it made it :(

Dub
Thu Aug 9th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Was it a 600? If so, I know who's bike that is! It belongs to one of the service advisors at Luxury Imports of Denver (they work on my car). I went in yesterday for an oil change and he had a sling on one of his arms and told me he and the bike went off into the canyon on hwy14 last weekend going around 65mph.

He broke his scapula (sp?) but is OK otherwise.

Jayock
Thu Aug 9th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Here is a guy who was there. On another local forum.

http://forums.coloradoracing.net/index.php?showtopic=108654

Carlsbad
Thu Aug 9th, 2007, 05:32 PM
wow, there is going to be some serious-assed buffing in someone's near future to get the marfs out of that bike.

pilot
Thu Aug 9th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Wow. This is a great reason to have AAA Plus RV (covers motorcycles). Notwithstanding the bad timing delay we had a month back; traffic and accidents caused a huge delay on tows- Thanks Patrick for picking up the bike.

Anyways, AAA will extricate the bike. I believe it is two men, two trucks, two hours on scene and 100 miles of towing included. I believe I pay 130 a year for the service along with the other AAA benefits.

In the past year I've towed three friends with my membership. All I ask is that they get the membership if AAA tows them-- then they can pass it on.

Glad to hear the guy made it out without too much damage to "his" tail.

Crisco
Thu Aug 9th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Here is a guy who was there. On another local forum.

http://forums.coloradoracing.net/index.php?showtopic=108654
beat me too it

mtnairlover
Thu Aug 9th, 2007, 10:00 PM
The only thing left on hwy14 when I passed by today were the plastics, still in a pile.

ZOSO
Sat Aug 11th, 2007, 07:26 AM
We are off to do the rescue today. So if any of you are out riding and see us stop by.

ZOSO
Sat Aug 11th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Well the rescue went just fine. Took all of 30 minutes to winch it up the hill and push it into the truck.

07gixxer750
Sat Aug 11th, 2007, 05:17 PM
The bike and rider in question was me. I am just fine and VERY lucky to be alive let alone walking. I just went in too hot and missed the apex of the corner and target fixated on the cliff. The bike is pretty tore up.

tarded400
Sat Aug 11th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Wow... what gear were you wearing? Thats insane. I've always wondered what it would look like to go off along some of those edges. Hopefully you had full coverage. Did you get a ticket?

FZRguy
Sat Aug 11th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Looks more like a pile of parts then a bike. Glad to hear you’re still walkin’/talkin’.

07gixxer750
Sun Aug 12th, 2007, 07:44 PM
tarded400,

It was really scary and not recommended. I was wearing my Scorpion Cracked Head helmet, Olympia armored jacket, Icon Tarmac gloves, jeans, and high top sneakers. If I didn't have to go to the hospital or had no one called 911 I prolly wouldn't have gotten a ticket. I got cited for Careless Driving (4pts) but if I mail it in by the 20-day deadline it drops to a 2pt Failure to siganl for turn. The fine was only $59. I had full coverage and gap so I should be good. I think the gap company is supposed to give me a $1000 towards a new one, or atleast thats what I recall the finance lady at Fay Myers telling me.

FZRguy,

Everyone that I have told the story to has told me that I am lucky to alive. Funny story. We stopped by Ted's Place on Saturday and told the cashier the story. She tells me "Hey, I think I heard about you!". The shoulder doesn't neeed surgery and just needs time to heal. I should be fully recovered in 3-6 months.

tm06r1
Sun Aug 12th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Wow...You are one lucky SOB. Good for you!!!!

tarded400
Sun Aug 12th, 2007, 09:39 PM
You are definitely lucky! I took a spill on prarie road and shattered my ankle. No weight for 8 months, limited weight for another month, and just recently I broke the leg bone again in a minor minor tip over in the dirt because it will never be nearly as strong again. Thats awesome about your insurance too!

leviathin
Sun Aug 12th, 2007, 11:27 PM
me and some friends went to walden last sunday and saw the gixer parts all piled up, we figured since the parts were piled up then there wouldnt be a body at the bottum of the cliff there and just kept on riding, glad to hear your okay

Bugkiller1
Mon Aug 13th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Wow... I rode past the scene I think just shortly after it happened. I was on a rented BMW 1200GS with my girlfriend on the back. Glad to hear your ok... the bike looked really f'ed up.

Mr_RC
Mon Aug 13th, 2007, 02:26 PM
At least it wasn't a Honda. :yay:

firegixx600
Tue Aug 14th, 2007, 03:40 PM
That sucks about your bike! I hate to see another gixxer go down! Very luck you weren't hurt any worse!

Sortarican
Tue Aug 14th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Man that had to suck, looks like you had some killer hang time on it.
Glad to hear you came out of it better than the bike did.
Heal up quickly.:up:

kixx
Tue Aug 14th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Glad you're okay - DAMN - that's scary. After what you've been through, I don't mean to preach, but consider taking it to a track. You'll go way faster, be safer and have a lot more fun than on the street. The cop who wrote my last speeding ticket gave me that advice. He was right!
Good luck!

07gixxer750
Wed Aug 15th, 2007, 01:58 PM
To be perfectly honest, I am going to see how the shoulder heals and where my mind is at before making the decision if I am even going to ride again. That experience put enough fear in me that I'm not sure if I want to get back on the horse and ride again.

sprtbkbabe
Wed Aug 15th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Wow. This is a great reason to have AAA Plus RV (covers motorcycles). Notwithstanding the bad timing delay we had a month back; traffic and accidents caused a huge delay on tows- Thanks Patrick for picking up the bike.

Anyways, AAA will extricate the bike. I believe it is two men, two trucks, two hours on scene and 100 miles of towing included. I believe I pay 130 a year for the service along with the other AAA benefits.

In the past year I've towed three friends with my membership. All I ask is that they get the membership if AAA tows them-- then they can pass it on.

Glad to hear the guy made it out without too much damage to "his" tail.

you are getting raped: $103/yr + RV/Bike per year 4 me. Yeah, lucky I haven't had to use it yet. Get 3 tows a year. So.... need a bike tow 07gixxer750?

pilot
Wed Aug 15th, 2007, 07:14 PM
you are getting raped: $103/yr + RV/Bike per year 4 me. Yeah, lucky I haven't had to use it yet. Get 3 tows a year. So.... need a bike tow 07gixxer750?Is that an offer/statement of something about to occur, ha.

From AAA site:

Basic Plus RV Primary Member $143 per year

* Basic membership starts immediately. Additional Plus benefits take effect five (5) days after processing your application.

1Additional miles are the responsibility of the member at prevailing commercial rates.
2Some restrictions may apply.
3 We will deliver enough fuel to get you to the nearest open service station.
4 When a vehicle can be safely reached from a normally traveled or established thoroughfare.
5 If you are over 100 miles from home and your vehicle is disabled for over 24 hours due to a collision, AAA will reimburse you up to $700 for lodging and meals or 7 days of car rental or alternate transportation.
6 RV extends the benefits of AAA Plus membership to cover licensed motorhomes, pickup trucks with campers, travel trailers and motorcycles. Excludes boat trailers, animal trailers, etc.
7Primary members can extend their AAA Colorado membership to include Associate members. Associate members may be a spouse or one other resident adult, and/or children, under the age of 25 who reside in the household or are away at school as a student.

You must have got a deal.

denverbusa
Wed Aug 15th, 2007, 08:02 PM
I got a flat on Black Canyon and found two cowboys willing to make 30 buck the easy way. i hate to think what it may have cost to be towed all the way back to gunnison. 4 years I carried an emergency plug kit and forgot to put it back in after our recent track day. Figures.

Might just have to look into AAA.

kixx
Wed Aug 15th, 2007, 09:37 PM
07Gix750 -
Yep, understood and take it easy.

07gixxer750
Thu Aug 16th, 2007, 03:44 PM
sprtbkbabe,

I appreciate the offer but we rescued the bike from the canyon with a couple trucks, a winch, tow straps, and some muscle. It only took about 30 minutes and really couldn't have done much more damage than had already been done. The forks are still straight but it won't start or even prime the fuel pump, the subframe is cracked in 2 places, the guage cluster is missin along with the front cowl where the headlight goes, and all the plastic is pretty much f'ed and broken.

kixx,

When we went to rescue the bike, I climbed down the canyon to get a birds eye view of just how far and rocky it was. I can honestly say that it got to me and had my hands shaking. I am not going to rush this decision and will take all the time in the world to make sure that I am making the best possible choice for the present and the future.

I also want to say thanks for all the support and get well wishes. Even though I haven't met too many people from the boards, it means alot. I have always felt that I was part of something bigger when I joined (and that is the biggest reason why I joined) and after this it makes me a true believer that riders are like family. Thanks again and hope to see you guys and gals around soon.

ZOSO
Tue Aug 21st, 2007, 05:14 PM
Well a little update on the bike. We got it to start. There is a short in the wiring by the handle bars. to start the bike you have to turn the bike to the right then it will start. Cant turn left or the fuel pump shuts off.