PDA

View Full Version : speeding ticket advice...

d_mob
Sat Aug 25th, 2007, 02:43 PM
well, be glad that you guys didn't meet up with us for the early group ride posted yesterday... we had an amazing ride up until i got an 87 in a 55 right outside of winter park. frck!

so, we're riding through winter park going the posted speed and just as we're headed out of town and speeding up (towards 70 on 40), i get pulled over. it was in the 55 mph zone and the guy wrote me at 87.

here is the interesting part, as soon as i saw the officer, i immediately put on my blinker and started to get over to the right. when he got close behind me and i was going slow enough, i motioned to him to see if he wanted for me to pull over right there (the shoulder was very narrow) or go to the parking lot that was right up ahead. he motioned to pull over there, so i did...

i didn't even have time to turn off the bike and take my helmet off and he was out of his car and on me like stink on you know what... i got my gear off and he asked for the typical stuff (license, insurance, etc). i handed this to him and right after i did he asked me to place my hands on the bike. i was kind of in shock, but did as he asked. he then placed me "under arrest for suspicion of evading an officer". WHAT? i asked...

long story short, i sat in the back of his police truck for about 30 minutes while he wrote my ticket and called a tow truck. after expressing to him that i pulled over "as soon as i saw him behind me" (which is the absolute truth 100%) about 100 times, he finally said that he would cancel the tow truck. i ended up with only the speeding ticket, but he said that he was VERY close to arresting me and charging me with reckless driving, evading an officer, speeding and a few other things...

i'm not going to say that i wasn't speeding. in fact, while i was in the back of the police truck i noticed that his radar said "79 - locked". i'm not sure where he got the 87 if i was clocked at 79... anyway, sorry for the long story... just want to tell everyone to be safe and slow it down out there. those guys aren't playing around.

also, i apologize for airing my dirty laundry. i usually keep my troubles (not that there are many) to myself... i just wanted to put it on here to see if you guys had any advice. i'm due in fraser-winter park court late next month... do i try to contest the speed thing or do i just apologize and hope that they will drop the points? do they even drop points here in colorado?

again, sorry for the long story... any advice is appreciated --

Sully
Sat Aug 25th, 2007, 03:02 PM
You may want to talk to Sortarican about this.. he was busted in WP earlier this spring... in Winter Park, they don't mess around with those that speed... .. Best of luck tho..

Nick_Ninja
Sat Aug 25th, 2007, 03:38 PM
We'll be sure to buy you some soap-on-a-rope for when you go to the Hot Sulfur Springs Big House. Bummer meng. :cry:

Bueller
Sat Aug 25th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I think they throw that evading crap in to scare you, conditions you to think twice about running next time, they get a lot of runners and it pisses 'em off. They try to set examples, probably tired off scraping up road kill for the season. They will plea you down, you will probably talk to the DA first thing.

d_mob
Sat Aug 25th, 2007, 08:02 PM
thanks for the advice guys... i just looked up the thread by sortarican and that did nothing to soothe my nerves. i'm not the type that would fare so well in the slammer (even for one night)... :(

anyway, i'll keep you guys posted after the court date (sept. 20)...

guess i'll be "tracking" my bike for the remainder of the season...

talk to everyone soon --

Toner
Sun Aug 26th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Just based on my experience, I would suggest getting an attorney to help you. I have tried both with and without, and the attorney was able to get a much better plea bargain. Go figure, eh?

At the very least, you should file "discovery" (I think that’s what it’s called). It's basically a copy of the officer's side of the ticket, so you can view any of the officer’s comments about the incident. This is what the DA will be looking at as well when they are reviewing your case. The cost should be around $10 and it might give you some insight as to what exactly you’re up against. Best of Luck!

Warren
Sun Aug 26th, 2007, 01:47 AM
I got a ticket just past Mary Jane a week ago. Who pulled you over? Statie or local?

mushin_man39
Sun Aug 26th, 2007, 11:10 PM
FYI, "discovery" or the actual report, is only required in municipal or county court and higher. If you have a so-called "R" case, the officer is the prosecutor and is not required to give you anything. The "R" cases are considered traffic infractions, therefore not criminal so C.R.C.P Crim Rule 16 does not apply. All you can do in those cases is set the matter for trial and beg for mercy with the officer. Oh, yeah, shouldn't have to say it, but dress nice and act respectful--you represent us.

d_mob
Mon Aug 27th, 2007, 07:46 AM
again, thanks for all of the comments... i spoke with an attorney and he said that i should head to the first meeting on sept. 20th and see what kind of deal they give me. if fair, take it and suck it up... if not, file for continuance and then contact the attorney again at that point...

in terms of "dressing the part", thanks for the reminder but it shouldn't be a problem. i'm five days a week in a tie...

finally, in terms of being "respectable", this shouldn't be a problem. i handled myself and the officer with respect during the incident (even when handcuffed and thrown in the back of a police car)... anyway, i understand the importance of a good and respectful attitude and plan on taking this with me...

wish me luck... i'll keep everyone posted with the results as unfortunately, i'm certain that this won't be the last speeding ticket here on the board.

talk to everyone soon --

~ david

PS... for what it is worth, our pre-ticket ride was probably the best one i've had all season and maybe one of the better of my life. i guess bliss comes with a price!

tarded400
Mon Aug 27th, 2007, 08:16 AM
I don't know exactly if they had to or not, but both me and my wife were able to go and get 'officers notes' on our tickets. Wasn't very helpful. I hate it when you're nice to the police and they 'make an example'. Yeah, it really convinces me NOT to run next time... kinda has the opposite effect.

mushin_man39
Mon Aug 27th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Damn! Five days a week in a tie!?! I'd go crazy! Didn't mean to dis you about respect and dress, just putting out a gentle reminder to others.

Clovis
Mon Aug 27th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Everytime I've gone to court its been in a suit or at the very least slacks and a tie. Its to show respect for the court and to show you're taking this seriously.

I'm always amazed at the sheer number of people who show up in their street clothes or worse (Sweats, torn clothes, hell I've seen people in PJs and flip flops).

But I guess going to court in sloppy clothes in between then going to court in an blue or orange jump suit in a group field trip!