PDA

View Full Version : Safety Course

blue02celi
Sat Aug 25th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Hi

I just moved out to CO from NY, I've ridden before, used to have an 03 GSXR 600 for a few months but just had a permit, sold the bike when I moved out here and now looking to take a class so I can skip the hassle with DMV. Was wondering what schools you guys reccomend as far as beginner safety courses. I've been looking around and T3RG seems good as they run about every day so easy to squeeze in when I have days off, also looked at ABATE, both are about the same price, just wanted to see if others had any experience with them, or other schools that you guys reccomend. I did a search for schools and safety courses but nothing really popped up.

Bueller
Sat Aug 25th, 2007, 09:57 PM
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14098&highlight=motorcycle+license

Bueller
Sat Aug 25th, 2007, 09:59 PM
And then,
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2698

Welcome :doublefinger:

pilot
Sat Aug 25th, 2007, 10:32 PM
One of the biggest items that T3RG offers is customer service. They firmly believe in their instructors and the instructors have their best foot forward for the students. Recently, at the RIO (CSC social dinner) two members mentioned their positive experiences with T3RG's Basic Rider Course.

Glad to hear your keeping your training up.

Ride safe,

Ricky
Sat Sep 22nd, 2007, 03:36 PM
One of the biggest items that T3RG offers is customer service. They firmly believe in their instructors and the instructors have their best foot forward for the students. Recently, at the RIO (CSC social dinner) two members mentioned their positive experiences with T3RG's Basic Rider Course.

Glad to hear your keeping your training up.

Ride safe,

I took my MSF class with T3RG at Colorado Power Sports, and it was freaking awesome. Walked in to the DMV the next day and had my endorsement.

pilot
Sat Sep 22nd, 2007, 03:45 PM
That's great news. I'm glad T3RG did a great job! As you get more experience in Colorado riding in the city and the back roads, you can look at taking other courses to enhance your training.

Looking forward to seeing you out riding,
Pilot

Hi11Zone
Sun Sep 23rd, 2007, 08:48 PM
I took the Mfs Abate course and it ruled!

gsxrscott
Mon Sep 24th, 2007, 09:02 AM
5 year AMA member, motorcycle endorsement since 1988, ALWAYS have insurance, been riding for 33 years, 2 wheels ONLY for the last ten years(no cage) Pilot, I was wondering what all your class entails. (heard that it ran about $250) interested in more and better training and from what other CSCers say you are good!!:) Any info would be helpful. Thanks

pilot
Mon Sep 24th, 2007, 10:42 AM
5 year AMA member, motorcycle endorsement since 1988, ALWAYS have insurance, been riding for 33 years, 2 wheels ONLY for the last ten years(no cage) Pilot, I was wondering what all your class entails. (heard that it ran about $250) interested in more and better training and from what other CSCers say you are good!!:) Any info would be helpful. ThanksWell, I don't want to start any rumors, and I'm no expert, but I'd more than willing to help in any way that I can.:)

I'll start off by saying that there a bunch of classes one can take out there on the market. Locally, you have the track race training systems at Pueblo and they can speak best for that. There are several trainers, I believe, that are certified for that instruction. Vanmar/JPL, Orlando. I have spoken with several people that have enjoyed both systems and found them beneficial. Especially when it comes getting the required training for track days/MRA pre-certs for riding on the track Pueblo or getting set to become an active racer within the MRA.

Nationally, there are several "track based" systems: Code's Superbike School, Schwantz--KSSS, Pridmore---Star School, Spencer--FSRS. These courses are also track-based training systems and geared toward racing. These are but a few of the available national systems and you would need to travel to them (Star taught in Pueblo--at least once this past year).

As for myself, I am a Internationally Certified Instructor in the Total Control Advanced Rider Clinic. This program, created by Lee Parks, author of Total Control, High Performance Street Riding Techniques, is a range-based system. Here are a few of links that do a great job at talking about the technology we use to train our students.

http://www.totalcontroltraining.net/

http://www.webbikeworld.com/books/total-control.htm

http://www.frederick.edu/programCourses/Motorcycle/index.cfm?documentid=440

http://www.motorcycle.com/products/better-living-through-motorcycling-12749.html

The site is Total Control site is currently being updated to include the instructors here in Colorado.

I would like to add that we are reviewing a "track based" implementation of the Total Control system. However, one of the best benefits, as pointed out by a recent instructor from the http://www.schwantzschool.com/ was that the Total Control technology was able to recognize, in an instant, a student's need for correction while looking "through" the turn. This is because the instructors can actually see the where the student's eyes are looking during the exercises. This is very difficult, if not impossible, on a track, at speed. It may appear that the student is looking through the turn (their helmet pointed that way) but there eyes are focusing in front of the bike and issues related to target fixation and "things happening too fast" come into play.

Conversely, the student may be looking with their eyes but their head is not turned in the general direction of the turn. This can create eyestrain and fatigue over long periods of riding or racing. Just try and stare out the corner of your eye looking at your computer screen and you'll get the picture pretty fast.

I recommend picking up the book Total Control. If you wish, I have copies for sale and can offer them at competitive prices.

Best regards,
Pilot

P.S. T3RG, motorcycle training school, offers several courses in rider training. Total Control is but one of them

TopTier
Mon Sep 24th, 2007, 01:36 PM
can't go wrong with ABATE

gsxrscott
Mon Sep 24th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Kool Pilot!! Thanks for the info. I will have to give "total control" a read! Sounds like the course might be something I would be interested in. Again Thanks
Scott

Hi11Zone
Mon Sep 24th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Kool Pilot!! Thanks for the info. I will have to give "total control" a read! Sounds like the course might be something I would be interested in. Again Thanks
Scott
Ya i might just do that ...you should join me! Haven't decided when , and i still need boots!

blue02celi
Sun Nov 18th, 2007, 04:09 PM
just wanted to say I took the BRC class with T3RG, loved it, was simple. a few hours of class but way more time out on the bikes. Definitely makes me want to take the other courses that they offer

N1KSS1KS1x
Mon Nov 19th, 2007, 03:37 PM
+1 on t3rg it was a good class for sure. Check Ricky Orlando's school to. I took his race class and He is a great teacher. He offers the basic class with the use of his bikes and helmets.

rottenbiker
Tue Nov 20th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Abate offers more then just the basic class as well. They are not for profit and pay for the best ridercoach on the market so have a great deal of experience to offer students coming in for a class.

bikerfish1100
Tue Nov 20th, 2007, 07:28 PM
It should be that "an MSF course is an MSF course is an MSF course." meaning- T3RG and ABATE both teach the same BRC (Basic Rider Course) program, and the same ERC (Experienced RC). ABATE offers an ERC LW (License Waiver) that is designed for experienced riders who have, for one reason or another, never gotten their M endorsement. Depending upon your experience level, that might be an appropriate course for you. It's about 8 hours instead of closer to 17 or 18 (1 night & 2 days) for the regular BRC, and about 1/2 the price. Don't suspect that any ERCLWs will be offered until spring, as the demand is somewhat light compared to those wanting a BRC.
One difference you might experience between T3RG and ABATE is that ABATE offers their classes in a 11:2 or 12:2 standard format (11 or 12 students, 2 coaches), whereas (IIRC) T3RG does theirs in a 8:1 format. ABATE is also beginning to offer some 2 day classes, in which case the 3 hours of evening class are squeezed into the 2 days (if T3RG offers a 2 day class, they are doing it that way as well). Personally, I think having 2 Coaches running a class can make for a better learning experience, as it's an additional perspective and viewpoint- we don't all learn exactly the same way, and coaches don't all teach exactly the same way. The curriculum should be consistent (the "what"), but the methodology may vary somewhat (the "how")- and this will be true between any 2 coaches, not just between programs.
And to keep it "on the square and upfront"- yes, I'm a RiderCoach for ABATE, 6 years experience. I like that I teach for a non-profit, and am proud that ABATE teaches more beginning riders than all other programs in CO combined.

pilot
Tue Nov 20th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Bikerfish1100,
Glad to see you out there training the MSF through your organization. Perhaps more and more riders will enjoy taking the MSF courses and other Advanced courses as well. I heard that on a recent ride that two riders out of ten did not have endorsements. That isn't a good thing.

It brings a smile to me to hear such good news on the training programs.

Oh, and btw a hardy welcome to two new members: Bikerfish1100 and rottenbiker.

James
Sun Dec 2nd, 2007, 05:14 PM
Honestly, I think all the schools are the same. They all have to follow the same format. Usually you attend a Friday night, all day Saturday, and then most of the day on Sunday. I would check some local community colleges. I believe Front Range and Red Rocks.