PDA

View Full Version : Need to upgrade and need yoour HELP...

PuR HART
Thu Feb 27th, 2003, 05:23 PM
OK I know that my face is not familiar around here but hopefully you peeps can help me out. Soon very soon I am wanting to upgrade my bike here is a list, (well first off its an '02 gixxer 750 FYI):

1.) NEW BRAKE PADS / possible rotors
2.) New brake lines
3.) Gearing -1 in back +2 in rear or what
4.) Cam vs. full exhaust which would increase HP
I think that is all I can think about 4 now, any help would rock like brands and places to do these mods at.
Thank you
PuR

Anonymous
Thu Feb 27th, 2003, 09:03 PM
Pads and lines for the brakes will do great things, rotors are nice but expensive. I'd save 'em for later unless you have a lot of spare cash.

I dropped a tooth on my front sprocket, and it was well worth it. Going up 2 in the back will have less effect, though up 3 would be about the same. Don't go any smaller that one down in the front though, it'll put a lot of stress on the chain.

Do the full exhaust before the cam, it makes a big difference too.

I'd also recommend a better air filter (BMC's are supposed to be better than K&N on gixxers), and especially after a cam you might consider a power commander to retune for the most power possible.

You might do some suspension work as well - new rear shock, and racetech the front forks....

Cap
Fri Feb 28th, 2003, 07:33 AM
If you are in the mood to throw money at your bike, you might want to consider getting a set of Marchesini wheels. Rocky Mtn Race Tire just got a deal on 350 Magnesium wheels (5 spoke), and is passing the saving to the customer. You'll save at least $150, and maybe upto $400, depending on the size you need.

Most of the horsepower increases you achieve will just make your bike harder to control. When you reduce wheel weight, it will actually give you a bike that is sweet to ride. Reduction in unsprung weight equals better acceleration, better braking, and extraordinary improvements in the way the bike turns due to reduced rotational (dynamic) inertia.

Check them out at http://www.rockymountainracetire.com

UglyDogRacing
Fri Feb 28th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Good rule of thumb; upgrade the brakes first and then suspension. Your never going to be able to use all the power your motor is putting out.

Brakes- steel braided lines and pads.
Suspension- Traxxion revalved forks, Penske shock

Put a pipe on before you change the cams. Get the thing on the dyno and mapped correctly with the PCIII,EMS, or YAFMS.

Magnesium wheels make a huge difference (i've got the March's) but costly.

Check out www.motoextreme.net when you plan on doing your upgrades.

ZRXChris
Thu Mar 6th, 2003, 10:03 PM
cheap guy go fast mod- gearing change

not so cheap- pipe, PC2

unload your wallet and loose the woman- pipe, PC2, yosh cams, custom map.

with all that who needs brakes.......?