PDA

View Full Version : Let's play "Dodge the Cagers!"

Stitches
Tue Aug 28th, 2007, 09:23 PM
So I got my first experiance dodging someone today on the way home from work. I was on a familar strret, almost home, in third gear, when a buick makes a right onto the street right in front of me. Fortunatly I had been looking, and gave the old guy driving the finger as I passed him, but a close call nontheless. Anybody have experiance making quick course changes, and any advice on how best to do it? Whne you're no shitting your pants, and such...

Clovis
Tue Aug 28th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of riding motorcycles!

This happens at least three times a day when I take the bike to work.

When I see people talking on the cell phone, yelling at their kids or otherwise distracted I get the hell away from them! Same goes for old drivers.

Bassil Duwaik
Tue Aug 28th, 2007, 09:42 PM
happens so much that I stopped counting. Thought I was going to be taken out when I was splitting lanes...clown didn't signal, thankfully he didn't jump across but made a semi slow change.

Ricky
Wed Aug 29th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Had a guy on I25 today going 40 in the middle lane, talking on his cell phone, looking in his center console, weaving in the lane, etc. I finally pulled along side him, looked straight at him, honked quickly, and motioned that he should hang up the phone. Then he looked at me, got all pissed off, and took his driving hand off the wheel just to flip me off. That's when I gassed it, afraid his cage might slam into me with nothing controlling the wheel. lol

I have one for almost every day I've been riding, and I've only been riding for the last 2.5 months.

Aracheon
Wed Aug 29th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Had a guy on I25 today going 40 in the middle lane, talking on his cell phone, looking in his center console, weaving in the lane, etc. I finally pulled along side him, looked straight at him, honked quickly, and motioned that he should hang up the phone. Then he looked at me, got all pissed off, and took his driving hand off the wheel just to flip me off. That's when I gassed it, afraid his cage might slam into me with nothing controlling the wheel. lol

I have one for almost every day I've been riding, and I've only been riding for the last 2.5 months.

I've done that probably 15 times this year... motioning for some idiot cager (typically women) to hang up their fucking cell phones.

Dysco
Wed Aug 29th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Sooner or later you stop counting your close calls. Then you stop talking about them. Eventually you even forget the boring wrecks you have and only remember the times when you break bones or the ones your buddy won't let you forget.

The best fix is to ride more.

Bassil Duwaik
Wed Aug 29th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Sooner or later you stop counting your close calls. Then you stop talking about them. Eventually you even forget the boring wrecks you have and only remember the times when you break bones or the ones your buddy won't let you forget.

The best fix is to ride more.

I can see that happening:drink:

Vic
Fri Sep 14th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I was driving my cage and talk on cell phone the other day. I was so distracted I run solid red light. Nothing happened, nobody was hurt or honked at me or flipped me.. I was so pissed at myself that I stop the car and smashed my cell on the ground. I don`t have cell phone anymore.:drink:

Ricky
Sat Sep 22nd, 2007, 03:34 PM
I almost got smashed into by an out of control car coming at me on Lookout mountain about an hour ago. Fucker was going WAY too fast for the turn. Had I been in my truck, there would have been an accident because his ass end fish tailed into my lane. Because I was on the bike, and in control, it was a quick swerve to the right side of the lane to avoid him.

I think that's like, my 100th close call since I started riding back in June.

Aracheon
Sat Sep 22nd, 2007, 03:35 PM
Holy shit. Glad nothing happened to you.

Did you poo your pants?

Jadam
Thu Jun 26th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I was driving my cage and talk on cell phone the other day. I was so distracted I run solid red light. Nothing happened, nobody was hurt or honked at me or flipped me.. I was so pissed at myself that I stop the car and smashed my cell on the ground. I don`t have cell phone anymore.:drink:

hahaha. I did that a month back. Got half way though the red light before I realized. I was so ashamed of my self :( didn't even bother saying goodbye to who i was talking to, just threw it in the back and continued to scream and chew my self out for the rest of the ride home. "YOUR SUCH A F***ING IDIOT!, YOU STUPID F***ING PIECE OF S**T HYPOCRITE!" ext. ext. I no longer talk on my phone in the car. I really hope they do decide to pass the bill to make it illegal to be on the phone while driving soon.

we're all guilty of it. and you know you'll sit there on the road looking at some fool on the phone thinking "look at that dump mother f***er talki... *ring:music: *ring:music: oh, oh yea hey what's going on" :)

IT WASN'T ME!
Fri Jun 27th, 2008, 06:58 AM
So I got my first experiance dodging someone today on the way home from work. I was on a familar strret, almost home, in third gear, when a buick makes a right onto the street right in front of me. Fortunatly I had been looking, and gave the old guy driving the finger as I passed him, but a close call nontheless. Anybody have experiance making quick course changes, and any advice on how best to do it? Whne you're no shitting your pants, and such...

The only way to make quick course changes on a bike is what I have always known as reverse lock pressure. Reverse lock pressure is simply pushing with your left hand to initiate a quick course correction to the left and vise versa. Obviously you have to lean with the bike when do this. If you pratice this simple technique you will be able to snap your bike to the left or right as quick as snapping your fingers. It has saved me many a time over the years. If you don't know how, you aren't really riding a bike, you're just sitting on one looking for a place to fall off.

Raptor
Fri Jun 27th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Like most have already said, pretty much everyday. I did get a pretty satisfying rant off on some indignant, cell-phone jockey, bitch driving a pearl white Mercedes SUV the other day. I was heading up Colorado and a quick glance in my mirror showed this bitch about 2 fucking feet from my rear tire. I gave a little throttle to make some room and the ding-bat sucks up the room I made without a second thought. Still gabbing on teh phone too. After I was out of front space, and her taxing every inch of room between her and I, I slowed down, looked over my shoulder and pointed right at her head. She was still on the gas! Augh! Fucking dumb bitch! So, I finally get a shot to switch lanes and lo, we catch a light, side-by-side. I fliped my visor up so damn fast and tore into her ass. She pulled the phone away from her face and just sat there staring at me like i was wearing a shriner's hat or something. After a 30 second gripe fest, she continues to glare at me and indignantly mouths a quick "fuck you". I got the feeling that she could have bumped me off and not looked back...and been just fine with it. Light turned green and I was the fuck outta there.

Stay sharp, front, sides and behind!

G.

64BonnieLass
Fri Jun 27th, 2008, 09:50 AM
hahaha. I did that a month back. Got half way though the red light before I realized. I was so ashamed of my self :(... I no longer talk on my phone in the car.
we're all guilty of it. and you know you'll sit there on the road looking at some fool on the phone thinking "look at that dump mother f***er talki... *ring:music: *ring:music: oh, oh yea hey what's going on" :)

Honesty at it's finest! I think a lot of us are guilty of the same thing while we are in the car, that scares us with others when we are on the bike. Scares the heck out of me either way.

We think we can multi-task (I am very guilty of this), and there is really no such thing.

Stay safe everyone. :)

ghostrider_9
Fri Jun 27th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I use an earpiece when I'm rockin the cage. At least I have both hands free and I'm paying attention to the road. That is all I ask of others.