PDA

View Full Version : Sprocket nut?!?

Quick636
Mon Jul 5th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Any ideas on how to get a super tight sprocket nut off? I want to change front sprockets and I've tried a breaker bar and a air gun to get that sucker off. I had it off before and torqued it down to spec. I don't know if vibration has made that sucker tight or what.

Any brilliant ideas?

The GECCO
Mon Jul 5th, 2004, 06:54 PM
By "air gun" I assume you mean an impact wrench? If so, do you have access to a stronger one?

Dumb question --> You DID remove any jamnut type things that are on there, right?

Beyond that, I would say soak it with some penetrating oil and try again tomorrow...

Quick636
Mon Jul 5th, 2004, 06:58 PM
yeah, 1/2" drive impact wrench, 380 ft. lbs of tq. I don't have a bigger one. I tried soaking it in penetrating oil, I tried heating it, I tried a short air hose. The washer is out of the way, I am at a total loss. I can't imagine how anything could get that tight.

Bueller
Mon Jul 5th, 2004, 07:16 PM
It wouldn't be a left hand thread? prolly not :?

Quick636
Mon Jul 5th, 2004, 07:30 PM
nope.

I'm considering taking the bike in to have the sprocket changed out. It has to come off sooner or later...

Wahooman
Thu Jul 8th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Come get some PB Blaster from me...that stuff is amazing. Or bring the bike by and we can use a big breaker bar. Mine was very tight but two guys holding the bike I was able to crank it loose. If you want to take it to a shop you can, but for as easy as it is to swap it you can save the money I am sure. You can try one of the techs impacts too if you want they ahve some crazy strong ones.

Quick636
Sun Jul 11th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Thanks wahoo for the help getting that sucker off.