PDA

View Full Version : Engine lugs after bike washed

The Rocketeer
Fri Aug 31st, 2007, 06:17 PM
I know this has been posted before but I have had no luck finding it using the Search function.

So my problem is this - after a long (2 month) hiatus, I gave my bike a good wash and wax and decided to take her out for a spin. Not even a mile away from home, the engine started lugging really hard and quit on me. I had it towed home and now I'm kind of wondering what might be the problem.

I'm thinking I got water somewhere it shouldn't be, but after such a long time not riding could the gas be stale? I'm just not sure, and any help would be great.

The_Jackel
Fri Aug 31st, 2007, 06:46 PM
What kind of bike? It would be helpful... certain bikes have problems with the ignition switch harness. They get corrosion built up and the voltage transfers to ground, if its a Honda I am almost positive its this problem. Follow your harness coming out of the ign. switch and unplug connector, any discoloration at all clean properly and then problem fixed(make sure clean well enough!). On some Hondas it can cause the ign switch to fry... due to a very stupid resistor setup.

InlineSIX24
Fri Aug 31st, 2007, 08:44 PM
The Rocketeer (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=2890)

Bike: GS500F

Bassil Duwaik
Fri Aug 31st, 2007, 09:17 PM
give it a couple of days to dry out. May have gotten water in the carb or throttle body. Even if it's not I'd still drain the gas and put new. If that's not the problem check and see if it's firing. If it is then the problem goes back to the fuel delivery. Always try the easy stuff first before you start pulling the engine apart. Also check the fuses.

pilot
Fri Aug 31st, 2007, 10:10 PM
You may want to try fuel dryers, also. Available at you car store.

The Rocketeer
Sat Sep 1st, 2007, 12:06 AM
I'll definitely try siphoning the tank and putting new gas in - also is the fuel dryer a tank additive?

wulf
Sun Sep 2nd, 2007, 06:51 PM
Yes fuel dryer is an additive

For what it's worth when riding in heavy rain the spray that a car generates bogs the hell outa my sv. I have to stay way back.

Also pull the plugs and see how they look, if you have time.

pf702
Mon Sep 17th, 2007, 02:07 PM
check your kickstand switch