PDA

View Full Version : Any Carb Gurus? 87 FZ600 idles but won't run!!

Xtremjeepn
Fri Aug 31st, 2007, 07:00 PM
Have an old FZ600 that starts, sort of idles but will not rev up or run. Pretty sure the carbs need some love. I put new plugs, new battery, new fuel/fuel filter, air filter on the bike but I have never been great with carbs.

Anyone here good with them? Anyone do some side work? (my truck also does not run right now so it would be hard for me to take the bike somewhere. Not opposed to it though).

What is the most reasonable shop to take this to? I don't want to spend a fortune to get this old bike running. But do need it running ASAP so a new rider can get some time on it.

Thanks.

Cole
303-359-7469

64BonnieLass
Fri Aug 31st, 2007, 07:26 PM
Cole,
I'm not sure who the Carb masters are here on the board, but I had TK/Faster do my carbs when I had the Ninjette. CSC discount also applies there I'm pretty sure.

Xtremjeepn
Sat Sep 1st, 2007, 08:13 PM
So I found "Faster Motorsports" under the sponsors link. Found TK listed too but their site does not work!

Now if I would only get that old beater truck running so I could haul it down there. :cry:

Thanks for the tip.

Xtremjeepn
Sat Sep 1st, 2007, 08:30 PM
Just for the fun of it here is a quick picture I snapped of the FZ today. Look at how retro and cute it is:)

http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo27/78/9f/2b26d2d93bc5.jpg

fe911
Sun Sep 2nd, 2007, 11:17 AM
What's the history on the bike? Has it been sitting long? Is it a colorado bike(previously set up for altitude)? Sounds like a good cleaning is in order. Yamaha's are usually pretty easy to work on. The first thing anyone usually says about yamaha carb problems is-take them out, clean them out 3 times before you start fiddling with them. I've done a few like that, and usually the problems are gone! I'm in NorthWest Denver, if you need someone to look at it. Ed

Xtremjeepn
Sun Sep 2nd, 2007, 06:09 PM
So I got up early and took the carbs off. Spent about 4 hours taking them apart, cleaning with carb cleaner and the air compressor. They looked pretty clean put some of the passages and jets were clogged shut.

Put it back together and the thing purrrrrrrrrrrsssss:headbang:. Runs like new.

Bike only has 7K on it. Couple of scratches but otherwise in great shape. Just need a good left side lower fairing and it will be totally complete. (the one I have is cracked and the mounting tabs are broken.

Kind of a fun bike. I love watching it go down the road. So classic. So retro.

luniz7
Mon Sep 3rd, 2007, 03:03 PM
ha my 1st bike was an 86FZR, looked nothing like yours tho lol