PDA

View Full Version : Fay Meyers....my imagination or?

Warspite
Fri Aug 31st, 2007, 09:50 PM
I have purchased several motorcycles through this dealership over the last 12 yrs. 2 VFR's and a XR250R. I have been happy with the dirt bike and the first VFR, however, my recent purchase of a 2006 VFR has been anything but satisfactory! When I first purchased the VFR I noticed that after a 3-4 hour ride my right hand was getting a slight tingling sensation in it..I just thought it was me white knuckling it and didnt think anything more of it. As the summer has progressed and I have been on fewer and fewer long distance rides and more just commuter riding, I have noticed that now after riding for a period of 30-40 minutes my right hand will start to go completely numb...specifically my pointing finger and middle finger.
I told this to Steve at the service counter and he said he would repair it. I returned the next day after getting a call saying it was fixed, only to find that it was indeed NOT fixed, but slightly worse then before. I returned the bike on Monday and talked to Josh, who assured me he would get to the bottom of the problem. After having the bike for two weeks now, I call Josh today only to have him say, "well I have to call Honda because I have had a couple guys here ride it and they dont notice the problem at all", never mind the fact Josh had told me last friday he was going to call Honda to get an answer. Josh called me back two hours later to tell me Honda has heard nothing of such problems on the VFR and that my bike is just fine and has no problems whatsoever...I guess my numb hand is all my imagination.... Anybody know of some real Honda mechanics out there with some experience that might be able to get to the root of my problem?

pilot
Fri Aug 31st, 2007, 10:05 PM
It might be hard to get a hold of one, but if you could ride another VFR that might answer a lot of questions.

luniz7
Fri Aug 31st, 2007, 11:41 PM
uhh your probably just griping the handle bar to tight. i had that problem for a little while, dont squeeze the shit out of it and you'll be good:)

DeeStylez
Fri Aug 31st, 2007, 11:58 PM
Does seem a lil odd that your having this issue.....seems like I had that problem when I first started riding a sport bike shaky hands and all.

dirkterrell
Sat Sep 1st, 2007, 12:21 AM
I have an '07 VFR that I ride daily and I've taken it on some longer trips (250 mile ride last Sunday). I haven't gotten any tingling in my hands. I tend to have a very loose grip on the bars and I put essentially zero weight on my arms. If you want to go on a ride sometime and switch bikes, we can see if it makes any difference.

Dirk

BigE
Sat Sep 1st, 2007, 10:57 AM
Honestly, this sounds like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Your positioning on the new bike may be enough to aggravate the problem. The solution could be as easy as loosening up your grip or swapping the bike's grips to something else. Or look into bar swaps???

If you can meet up with someone to try a different VFR and don't have the same problem then look at your bike for the problem, otherwise check with your doc about having CPS test done.

xxuxx
Sat Sep 1st, 2007, 01:18 PM
Or you could try some KY jes to loosin it up a little

Jenny
Sat Sep 1st, 2007, 01:19 PM
That sounds like ergonomics; not a problem with the bike. Try adjusting the front brake lever down. When you're grabbing it, you want there to be a straight line from your elbow to your fingertips.

dapper
Sun Sep 2nd, 2007, 06:20 PM
Honestly, this sounds like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Your positioning on the new bike may be enough to aggravate the problem. The solution could be as easy as loosening up your grip or swapping the bike's grips to something else. Or look into bar swaps???

If you can meet up with someone to try a different VFR and don't have the same problem then look at your bike for the problem, otherwise check with your doc about having CPS test done.
:|
PM your email addy to me and I can send ya some diagrams with instructions for proper stretching prior to riding.

Or...spend countless hours chasing the white rabbit while having different doctors put you through the medical hoops. :dunno:

phoenixr2
Sun Sep 2nd, 2007, 08:31 PM
I've had this problem since I bought my bike. I dont have an vfr. I have an rvt, but I figured with my bike is was the nature of the beast. the bike vibrates like hell. I keep a tight grip, which does not help, and I dont have perfect posture so I know that does not help, plus the normal ergonomics of the bike dont help anything. I guess I am not offering any useful information to you though, sorry.

maybe try a little bigger(thicker) grip, might absorb some of the vibrations and make you loosen up your grip some.

good luck

Nick_Ninja
Sun Sep 2nd, 2007, 10:00 PM
Just up the dose of your Tuinal :twisted:

CBRChick
Tue Sep 4th, 2007, 09:38 AM
You can also try some heavier bar ends... tends to help minimize the vibrations and keep your hand from not going numb as quickly (or not at all)... there's nothing wrong with your bike :)

UnoMOTO
Tue Sep 4th, 2007, 11:14 AM
I don't think its the bike either. My hand goes numb on all three of my bikes. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is my likely problem. Do you work on a computer for a living? I believe that is the root of my problem.

Jason ON
Tue Sep 4th, 2007, 05:14 PM
I have that problem on the SV but not on any other bike -- or at least not as bad on other bikes. I went to the SV website that I frequent and as it turns out a lot of people are having the same issues. The collective minds over there think it has to do with the vibration of the VTwin engine.

I don't have a fix for ya ... sorry.

wulf
Tue Sep 4th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Obviously you need to give your fingers a break from the riding position:doublefinger:

It happens to me if i'm doin alot of stop and go, i just pop it into nuetral and give my hands a break.

rforsythe
Tue Sep 4th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I have Carpal Tunnel and get similar symptoms from time to time, some bikes are worse than others. Can't really blame the dealer for it.

One thing that helped me was installing a throttle rocker. I was so bad that 100 miles would have my hand numb and wrist in sharp pain, but after putting that on I did a 1000 mile ride and felt great. If you don't adjust it right it will annoy the hell out of you though.