PDA

View Full Version : Setup Fees

CSUAdam
Fri Feb 28th, 2003, 04:20 PM
I read a post on some other board (Can't remember which one) about how Japanese bike makers reimburse dealers for the setup costs on their new bikes, and that when you buy a new bike you shouldn't have to pay for these costs like most dealers try charging because it has already been paid for. Does anyone else know anything about this? If it's true you could be saving a pretty penny! Any info is greatly appreciated.

Fri Apr 11th, 2003, 09:25 AM
I spoke to a friend of mine who used to work at Stamford Motorsports in CT. He said that the mfrs pay 100+ bucks to a dealer for setting up the bike. The dealer charges the buyer the setup fee to make more money. I checked my invoice and the SOB charged me $130 set up fee back in '99. Thanks pal and thanks for the crummy wedding gift!

Hoopty
Fri Apr 11th, 2003, 09:39 AM
Never pay what they're asking for a bike, tell them what YOU are gonna pay for the bike OTD. They CAN waive the set up fee and delivery BS. I paid $6200 for my 01 SV650S back in May 2001 and the MSRP was $6200. You just have to find the right dealer. I suggest Fay Meyers for that, just go in a tell them you will pay X amount of money for the bike you want. If it's a hot seller, you prolly won't get away with anything less than MSRP out the door, but if it's not that hot of a seller you should be able to get less than MSRP. 8) Lemme know if you need a name of someone to talk to over there.
PS- If you do buy from Fay's, I would suggest NOT getting their in house post warranty contract- their service dept is worthless, IMO. :321:

Anonymous
Fri Apr 11th, 2003, 11:01 AM
I just checked my invoice... :oops:

Vickery charges a standard $389.50 for "SET UP & SERVICE" and another $99.50 for "DELIVERY & HANDLING", for a Grand Total of $489 :shock:

I didin't think to even try and talk those amounts down (me -> :slap: <- me). I did work a bit of a deal on the Yamaha Extended Service contract, but not $489 worth! :lol:

I ordered my '02 R1 well in advance (Nov. 6, 2001), and received it on March 23, 2002. They weren't going to budge on the price of the bike. I paid full retail for the it ($10,299) - they knew it would sell, if not to me, then to someone else.

Although $489 does sound like a lot, I'm not complaining - Blake, my salesrep at Vickery, has hooked my up a couple of times when I needed parts :up: 8)

Hoopty
Fri Apr 11th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Yup, they will try and rape you on all that BS if you don't know any better. Knowledge is power my friends! :D

CSUAdam
Fri Apr 11th, 2003, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I wa just looking for some insight even though I didn't end up using it. I bought my "new" bike used, so I pretty much didn't have to deal with setup fees and stuff. I bought an 02 R6 from Vickery for $6200 +tax (about $240) for me. The bike only had 2100 miles on it, so I figured I got a great deal on last years model. It is scratched on the left mid panel and left case cover, but who cares, it rides perfect and that's all I care about.

Thanks again.

Ripper
Mon Jul 21st, 2003, 10:10 PM
I worked in the motorcycle industry for eight years, I started as a set-up mechanic back in 1990. It is ture that the manufactures do reimburse the dealer, and that price is not a standard price, it depends on the unit, because all makes and models require different amounts of assembly, most sportbikes, all thats needed is to put on the front wheel, clip-on, and the windsheild.

I eventually moved into sales, and the set-up and pre-delievry charges are bullsh*t, I was selling R6's out the door @ colorado powersports for $9200 to $9500 (depending on your county) Non negotable, I bought mine in MN. for $7999 o.t.d. everything is negotable even if they say it's not. you just gotta go in with your gloves on!! Beat up the sales manager, because that's what they do to you.

Good luck,

jeaven
Tue Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:53 PM
Aside from their prices being 20% higher for everything than any other MC shop in Colorado. Another reason I will never buy anything from CPS is I was looking for a specific part number to finish my headlight mod, went to them (since it was the closest at the time) and instead of ordering it, they said they'd need to have a tech take a bike of the floor and go to Napa to pick up the parts (since the part number I wanted was no longer in production) price it out then qoate me for the install + parts + some other charge after they tried it on one of their bikes... I pretty much said how the hell are you trying to sell me service which I'm perfectly capable, know what I'm doing, and just need to order a $5.00 part. :321: Thank God for on-line shopping, Cycle Performance for Accessories, and TFOG for parts and a shop...