PDA

View Full Version : Vitange Motard?

merlin
Mon Sep 3rd, 2007, 08:34 PM
And it's off to the dark side I go- Sideways!

So I have gotten it into my head that I need a dirtbike for a "Studded tires, bedlinered plastics, doen't matter much if I throw it down the road" winter ride. With that thought in mind I started looking on craigslist for a cheap dirtbike/enduro. While looking at this and that, it further occurred to me that until the roads start getting bad, a spare set of wheels and street tires could be a LOT of fun here and there.

Since anything in my price range is going to be old enough to have been the bike Jesus learned to ride on, that leaves me at.... Vintage Motard.

So- anyone here running the old stuff? I am looking (as always) for a bit of advice.

So far, my choices are:
1. DT400
2. IT400
3. Husky 360
4. PE 250
5. XR500 4 stroke (long shot)

Which, if any, of these would be the best bet for a street conversion? The only one I have ever had any experience with is the Husky- I've at least sat on one.

Alternately, anyone got an old dirtbike in the barn/shed/garage/back pasture they'd part with cheap/free/barter?

Thanks!
Merlyn
Would-be moTard

Bueller
Mon Sep 3rd, 2007, 08:48 PM
Are you talking about putting dualsport tires on stock size wheels or getting actual motard wheels?
If you are just dualsporting it I would get whatever you want for your winter riding, 2 strokes are not your best choice for street but people do them.
If you want a true tard you will have to be creative with wheel fitment, the XR's would be your best bet to find bolt on conversions depending on age.

merlin
Mon Sep 3rd, 2007, 09:32 PM
Are you talking about putting dualsport tires on stock size wheels or getting actual motard wheels?
If you are just dualsporting it I would get whatever you want for your winter riding, 2 strokes are not your best choice for street but people do them.
If you want a true tard you will have to be creative with wheel fitment, the XR's would be your best bet to find bolt on conversions depending on age.

Actually planning to do both- Motard setup in the summer, dualsport in the winter. The motard is probably going to involve a new front end, depending on how much of a PITA that turns out to be, and a hybrid rear wheel of some sort.

I've got an e-mail in on the XR, even if it is a touch out of my price range. We'll see what happens. I am a big 2 stroke fan personally, so it won't break my heart if I wind up on one. My neck possibly, but not my heart :: grin ::

Still kinda hoping I get the good word back on the Husky, in all honesty.

Merlyn

merlin
Fri Sep 7th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Well, I did the easy part- I bought an old beater.

I am now the proud owner of most of a 1976 Husqvarna 360CR. Good news is it (supposedly) has a new top end, the carb is clean (ish) and it'll probably start up if I can get a spark.

Needs tires, the kickstand re-mounted/relocated, a seat and a petcock.

Not bad for $140, says I. I'll post some photos later today.

Merlyn

Sortarican
Fri Sep 7th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Love those old Huskys, had a DT400, and always wanted a Bultaco.
I'm thinking of doing a little more modern project along the same lines
so definitely post up the project as it progresses.

Would love to see it as an ice-racer.

merlin
Mon Sep 10th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Here's the start. Checked a few things today, and it looks like the electrical and ignition are in good enough shape to work, just needs some wires replaced - and then I'll have spark and lights, in all their 6 Volt glory :slappers:

Here's a few pics:

Bueller
Mon Sep 10th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Good luck :lol: