PDA

View Full Version : Throttle in a turn- theory and real world practice

adjunkie
Mon Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:22 PM
Theory- throttle helps the rear wheel slightly "drift" around turns, creating a tighter turn.

real world practice- on most turns, throttle is good and I have no problem giving it.

A few questions-

are racers using wot around turns?

second, on sharp turns (marked 15mph or so) i have the most trouble. I tend to brake too much and go through them barely holding on to the throttle. It's scary to give it gas when I already feel like i'm going too fast! On these sharp turns, will gas help me to get around better?

Mista Black
Mon Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:41 PM
The throttle helps to settle the back end and doesn't help it "drift" unless you are seriously on the throttle. Giving it a little gas will keep the back end from jumping around (keeping it from "drifting"). So, yeah, a little throttle will help. I'm not talking about grabbing a handful, redlining the bike and spinning the tire; just enough to keep the slack off the rear end.

I am usually on the throttle and have the rear brake lightly applied around curves.... and I haven't taken a curve at it's marked speed in years.

Bassil Duwaik
Mon Sep 3rd, 2007, 11:15 PM
The diameter of the rear wheel is smaller when your leaning into a turn then when your riding straight, because your riding on the outside of the rear tire. Hence, the rear tire spins a little faster when in a turn then when your riding upright. To counter that I give it a little bit of throttle. I try to do all the breaking I can before I go into a turn. If in a turn you can apply a little bit of brake but it depends on how hard your leaning vs verse with the throttle.

Let's say you have 100% traction with warm tires and the likes. When you've got the pegs grinding you're using about 95% traction hence you only have 5% for braking or throttle. But chances are your not grinding the pegs so your prolly using about 75% traction so you've got another 25% for braking or throttle. Be careful because when you find out where the limits are it could be too late. Go into a full lean and use more traction then you've got and the tire(s) well brake louse.

pilot
Mon Sep 3rd, 2007, 11:16 PM
Standard technique for all BMW riders! Backin' it in!

Mista Black
Mon Sep 3rd, 2007, 11:30 PM
But of course!! :D

pilot
Tue Sep 4th, 2007, 08:50 AM
This is a great question for general knowledge and all around "that's interesting" information. Of course, this is something that only very experienced riders should attempt. And then, only in very controlled conditions.

Are you asking because you are curious or you want to start doing this? I hope you don't mind the inquiry.

tarded400
Tue Sep 4th, 2007, 10:43 AM
I try to do all the breaking I can before I go into a turn.

Huh. I do all my breaking while sliding down the asphalt. To each their own. On the street, I usually just hold constant throttle around the first half of the corner, then if it looks like I can go faster as I see the exit, I'll get on the throttle (slowly if on my old 929, on the motard I slam it open :hump:). Also, if you get on the gas, that unloads the front, lengthening the wheelbase, which can make you run wide.

adjunkie
Wed Sep 5th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Mista- You are on the throttle while on the back brake? or do you do one then the other?

Bassil- Good stuff, but what happens when it breaks loose? have you been in this situation and ridden it out?

Pilot- I'm always trying to progress my skills. For me, knowledge of what is really going on is the first step.

Tarded- That's a good safe way for the street, do you do the same thing at the track?

tarded400
Wed Sep 5th, 2007, 10:09 PM
I pretty much ride to where I feel my limits are at the track- with my current tires I think my limits will exceed the tire's grip, so they will be the limiting factor. I try to trail brake right up to the apex and then slowly let off the brakes and roll on the throttle easily. Track days for me are all about fun. If I want to go fast, I try and get the best drive off the corner and brake super late, even if it makes me go into a worse line. If I want to corner fast, I'll go slower on the straights to get a better line or get set up for the corner.

Bassil Duwaik
Wed Sep 5th, 2007, 10:23 PM
I've had the rear break lose on me and it gave me a little bit of a tank slap. Not sure how I did this but SOMEHOW I managed to push the bike back up with my knee. Or atleast that is how it felt when the back broke lose. Break the front lose and there is almost no recovering from that when leaning. However, I've noticed that sometimes the front will break lose just for a sec but that's when I hit a crack or something while leaning.

adjunkie
Sun Sep 9th, 2007, 02:02 PM
SOMEHOW I managed to push the bike back up with my knee.

Wow, that's crazy. You're the man!

pauliep
Sun Sep 9th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Yeah, my front broke loose over uneven track this weekend. Thankfully I wasn't pushing hard through that turn, but it's scarey shit when it happens. Ass hole pucker moment.

tarded400
Sun Sep 9th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I kinda like sliding over the white crosswalk paint when its a little damp outside... Theres a video in the video section with some guys sliding scooters and 2 smokes around and several really use their knee to save a slide.

CoronaKOK
Wed Sep 19th, 2007, 09:07 PM
The diameter of the rear wheel is smaller when your leaning into a turn then when your riding straight, because your riding on the outside of the rear tire. Hence, the rear tire spins a little faster when in a turn then when your riding upright. To counter that I give it a little bit of throttle. I try to do all the breaking I can before I go into a turn. If in a turn you can apply a little bit of brake but it depends on how hard your leaning vs verse with the throttle.

Let's say you have 100% traction with warm tires and the likes. When you've got the pegs grinding you're using about 95% traction hence you only have 5% for braking or throttle. But chances are your not grinding the pegs so your prolly using about 75% traction so you've got another 25% for braking or throttle. Be careful because when you find out where the limits are it could be too late. Go into a full lean and use more traction then you've got and the tire(s) well brake louse.

Very good! :) You read that in Keith's "twist of the wrist" book???

mushin_man39
Wed Sep 19th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Have any of you ever heard of throttle maintenance?

Bassil Duwaik
Wed Sep 19th, 2007, 09:54 PM
hmmm the part about the diameter of the wheel I did read that someplace, not sure where. As for the traction, it's almost common sense that the tires will only hold so much, that's why there are so many different types of tires, those for gripping in the rain, or gravel, track, street, X and Z rated. They all hold better or worse at different temperatures and psi. Those that are 16in and 18in tires all have a purpose.

Now the real problem I have is to fiendishly apply the diabolical concept of traction to one of the lackeys.

Bassil Duwaik
Wed Sep 19th, 2007, 09:58 PM

I saw some tool someplace that they actually inject the cables with grease. Not sure if I'd be willing to have grease inside my cable, maybe litheume grease or wax but not the stuff I'd seen in the picture. Don't think you have to worry about that if your bike is electric and not mechanical throttle. I did read that the GP circuit bikes are running on a fly-by-wire system. Don't think I really understood how it integrates into the bike but I know how it's suppose to work on planes.

tarded400
Thu Sep 20th, 2007, 08:09 AM
I've seen those, and I want one... I was thinking what that I would put maybe a graphite in there....

James
Sun Dec 2nd, 2007, 05:21 PM
I always brake the hardest just before the corner, and then accelerate through it, no matter what the speed of the corner. By the apex, I can usually hit WOT.

*KEN*
Sun Dec 2nd, 2007, 06:19 PM
I've never purposely tried to spin my rear tire - I've only spun my rear tire when trying to get a good drive out of a corner (on the racetrack). I would imagine that the mentioned technique is possible, however, you would be walking a fine line: between spinning the tire and highsiding. For me, the possible benefits are nowhere worth the risk. Also, up until the point where the tire is spinning, acceleration will actually cause the bike to oversteer.

I haven't heard of roadracers using this technique. The technique that is common to tighten turns is trail-braking. This is probably the technique that racers use in the vast majority of turns, though the primary intent may not be to cause understeer. Therefore, they are not WOT through the corner. In fact, I would think that the only turns that are ever taken WOT are long sweepers or turns that open up. Unless they are on a Ninja 250, then it's WOT all the time!

Slight throttle should help in the tight corners, but I definitely would not try drifing. I find that downshifting to a lower gear helps because there is more engine-braking and so the bike doesn't speed up as quickly after releasing the brake.

koru
Tue Jun 28th, 2011, 11:38 PM
old thread but throttle is everything in a turn never do anything else but slowly and smoothly roll on the the throttle through out a turn but how ever I am by far no expert and am learning all the time myself but from what i understand throttle is everything.

Vellos
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 12:17 AM
old thread but throttle is everything in a turn never do anything else but slowly and smoothly roll on the the throttle through out a turn but how ever I am by far no expert and am learning all the time myself but from what i understand throttle is everything.

Keith Code can haz cheeseburger?

Bueller
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 06:21 AM
2007 srsly?

rybo
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Bassil? srsly?

Ghost
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 01:31 PM
http://talktomejohnnie.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/zombie-attack-poster.jpeg

vort3xr6
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 04:26 PM
http://memecreator.net/the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world/showimage/909/I-don%27t-always-bump-4-year-old-threads-But-when-I-do-I-expect-a-goddamn-answer.jpg

Stank Juic3
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 06:05 PM
OWNED

Bueller
Wed Jun 29th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I take it back, I am glad this got bumped, with all the reminiscing today this made me laugh out fucking loud!

I've had the rear break lose on me and it gave me a little bit of a tank slap. Not sure how I did this but SOMEHOW I managed to push the bike back up with my knee. Or atleast that is how it felt when the back broke lose. Break the front lose and there is almost no recovering from that when leaning. However, I've noticed that sometimes the front will break lose just for a sec but that's when I hit a crack or something while leaning.

Wow, that's crazy. You're the man!

I saw some tool someplace that they actually inject the cables with grease. Not sure if I'd be willing to have grease inside my cable, maybe litheume grease or wax but not the stuff I'd seen in the picture. Don't think you have to worry about that if your bike is electric and not mechanical throttle. I did read that the GP circuit bikes are running on a fly-by-wire system. Don't think I really understood how it integrates into the bike but I know how it's suppose to work on planes.

Holy shit! :lol:

chronicboy
Thu Jun 30th, 2011, 07:20 AM
-on "throttle maintenance"

-thats fucking beautiful!:no:

BHeth
Thu Jun 30th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I take it back, I am glad this got bumped, with all the reminiscing today this made me laugh out fucking loud!

Holy shit! :lol:

A big ass +1!!!:lol:

koru
Thu Jun 30th, 2011, 08:36 PM
My bad didnt know id stir up all these hornets