PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or.....

Ricky
Fri Sep 7th, 2007, 03:50 PM
So, I've been running a message board for the last 9 years, and we've been using vbulletin for the last 3+ years. However I've never had the same login issue that I've had here since I joined.

Today I've had to log in 7 different times, even though it's forced to remember me... Just now, I logged in, got the success message, came to the next screen, and I was logged out again already. Had to log in twice in less than 30 seconds.

I can be browsing a forum, reading, reading, then I click to read another thread, and I'm logged out all of a sudden.

This doesn't just happen on my computer here at work, but has also happened at home, and on both my laptops. What's crazy is that here VB 3.6.7 is running and on our site we are running only 3.6.4, so that makes me wonder if there's some sort of bug in 3.6.7.

But of course, I have to mention it because other people have gotta be having the same problem if I'm having it on multiple computers. I've never been logged out of my board as long as I'm there every day, and I don't clear cookies of course.

So, is it just me??

rforsythe
Fri Sep 7th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Hm, doesn't happen to me, you're the only one I've heard of it happening to.

I wonder if maybe there's a cookie conflict with some other site going on?

In any event, 3.6.8 is out and we'll be upgrading in the next few weeks, so perhaps that will help. :dunno:

Canuck
Fri Sep 7th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Ralph, I have had similar issues from time to time on the exact same thing. It would happen to both my M$ windoze work computer and the MAC at home.

Scribbler
Fri Sep 7th, 2007, 04:26 PM
This has happened to me before in the past. With various forums...be it vBulletin, phpBB, Invision etc...

I found that it was a result of the bookmark I saved. Make sure your bookmark is to http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/ and make sure it doesn't have anything else in the URL, like a session id number, etc... Sometimes, depending on when you bookmarked it, there can be extra information in the bookmarked URL (or the url changed slightly after an upgrade), so your cookies and base url don't match quite like they should.

dchd1130
Fri Sep 7th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Ive had the same problems I will try the new bookmark

Ricky
Mon Sep 10th, 2007, 09:30 AM
See, I don't use favorites. I always just type the full url. I guess I'll wait for the upgrade and see if it still happens after that.

Came here just now, was logged in, reading this thread, I clicked post reply, and suddenly I'm logged out :)

PhL0aTeR
Mon Sep 10th, 2007, 09:59 AM
hmmmm doesnt happen for me either....

Ricky
Mon Sep 10th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Phloater, what browser/OS are you using?

Ricky
Mon Sep 10th, 2007, 02:11 PM
AH HA! I figured it out. Everything works great when you don't have the www there, but it works correctly if you do. I guess the way vbulletin works is when you log in, it uses the url used in the settings, and doesn't auto redirect to the www. therefore, the site is setting a cookie, that for some reason works without the www for a short period. However, add the www and all is well.

Ryan, if you wanted to fix this, in the vbulletin options under "Cookies and HTTP header options" the cookie domain should be ".cosportbikeclub.org". This way the cookie for users gets set to the root of the domain. However beware, as if you do this, I think it will kill everyone's cookies.

Anyway, now that I know the way to get it to work right, I can deal :)

Dysco
Mon Sep 17th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Ahhh man, I thought it was using mozilla that feexed it. I was just gonna post about how sweet mozilla is.

Yes, I'm late for the bus....

Dank
Mon Sep 17th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Ah, I'm glad you figured it out! Same thing was happening to me!