PDA

View Full Version : New bike question

ScottZ
Sun Sep 9th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, I wasn't sure about the best place to ask this. I'm a fairly new rider (1 year, 1k miles) and currently ride an 82 KZ750 4 cyl. I may be able to get something new in the near future, but funds are limited. At the moment I like the looks of either a YZF600R or a ZZR600. Of these 2, any thoughts on which might be a better choice and why? I am getting closer to 40, so it would be good to know which might be more comfortable, less extreme of a riding position. Any info on these 2 would be a great help for me.

Thanks!

pilot
Sun Sep 9th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Your best bet may be to go to a dealer that has both bikes in stock and sit on them, for a while. Grand Prix has both brands. Ask them to place the bikes on a stand so that they will not be leaning over. Then you can comfortably place both feet up on the pegs. You should also be wearing what you are going to wear to ride--be that ballistic jeans, riding pants or racing leathers.

Get into the riding position and hold it for a while. Think about the time length of riding that you want to do.

Sure, you can get ideas on all sorts of after market stuff to do this and that to the bike's seat, suspension, steering, tires, etc. But, it would be nice if you felt comfortable on the bike from the get-go.

What fits you, may not fit me, and might be so-so for someone else.

ScottZ
Sun Sep 9th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I had a feeling that was coming, and you're right. I was also hoping for some info from owners, things they found out after having the bike for awhile that might not be obvious to someone looking at one in a showroom. Basically their personal observations.

Bueller
Sun Sep 9th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I am getting closer to 40, so it would be good to know which might be more comfortable, less extreme of a riding position.

:lol: Get a Supermoto, very upright riding position and it'll shave 15 years off yer oldness :siesta:

http://home.comcast.net/~mra999/filo.jpg

This fool is right around your age

King Nothing
Sun Sep 9th, 2007, 04:23 PM
May I suggest the nekkid sv650?

ScottZ
Sun Sep 9th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Good suggestions, but I'm really looking for info on the 2 bikes I've listed. A Supermoto is a little to specialized for what I want.

Bueller
Sun Sep 9th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Those are both sport tour type bikes that are more comfortable than fast. Not too many people on here ride those, so you might not get much response. The Honda F4i is another choice you might consider, much more prolific in these parts, and it is fuel injected.

King Nothing
Sun Sep 9th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Geez, Dave! are you deaf? Hard of READING?!?! He's made his mind up. He's not open to suggestions. Although, our suggestions are quite good.

Bueller
Sun Sep 9th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Geez, Dave! are you deaf? Hard of READING?!?! He's made his mind up. He's not open to suggestions. Although, our suggestions are quite good.
I seen that, and will limit my interjection to that previously posted.:oops:

BTW I hate you!

King Nothing
Sun Sep 9th, 2007, 05:24 PM
The feeling's mutual.

dirkterrell
Sun Sep 9th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Good suggestions, but I'm really looking for info on the 2 bikes I've listed. A Supermoto is a little to specialized for what I want.

Don't overlook the Honda VFR Interceptor. Here's mine:

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/bikes/vfr.jpg

Dirk

ScottZ
Sun Sep 9th, 2007, 07:08 PM
The reason that I mentioned those 2 bikes is because those are the 2 in my price range, new, that I thought might be good choices. The SV650 is interesting, but unless I happen to find an '07 still on the floor, it's no longer available. I could go with a used bike, but would rather get something new if possible.

King Nothing
Sun Sep 9th, 2007, 07:59 PM
07 sv650's seem to be everywhere. there were 2 red ones and one blue at Fey about 2 weeks ago....

ScottZ
Mon Sep 10th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Sounds good, hopefully I can hook up with one of those!