PDA

View Full Version : Master Links

FZRguy
Tue Jul 13th, 2004, 03:50 PM
I’m planning on converting stock 530 chain and sprockets to 520. Does anyone run a master link on the street or the track? Are they even allowed on the track? Is it possible to safety wire a master link…or is this a bad idea on a sport bike?

Anonymous
Tue Jul 13th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Umm...

Well...

All chains have master links. What else you planning on using to connect the two ends together? :idea:

I think what you mean is clip vs rivet link, right? A lot of people refuse to ever use clip links, glenn can post up a pic of why they suck. Even safety wired, they come off. Save yourself the cost of replacing engine parts (and possibly your leg), and go with a rivet link. Someone here can probably help you with the tool to get it on.

FZRguy
Tue Jul 13th, 2004, 07:43 PM
I think what you mean is clip vs rivet link, right?

That would be correct, Captain... :roll:

kevplus2
Tue Jul 13th, 2004, 09:31 PM
if you dont have a chain tool to pin the rivet master link, get both a rivet and clip style. install the chain with the clip master link and ride it to a shop. they will install and pin the rivet link for next to nothing and then you will have the clip style leftover for the next time you need it

FZRguy
Wed Jul 14th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Since the rivet tool runs around $60, that’s a good alternative.

GSXR-ATW
Thu Aug 5th, 2004, 03:24 PM
I took my bike to Colorado Powersports up north to get my chain riveted and the manager just told me to tip the guy when he got done, it only cost me $10.00 and it took him about five minutes, just make sure you have the chain already on the bike, if they have to do that it will cost you alot more.