PDA

View Full Version : Can't get screws out...

Anonymous
Tue Jul 13th, 2004, 06:00 PM
The heads on two of these screws stripped nicely last night trying to get the signal generator out of my motor so I can continue with the disassembly.

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0321/signal_generator/signal_generator.cfm
(parts 5&6)

I tried slotting them with a dremel and using a flat blade, but it stripped then too. Not much working room to hex-ify the damn things... Any ideas on getting them out without damaging (1) the sensor or more importantly (2) the engine case it's bolted onto?

I dripped some penetrating oil in there last night, didn't help. Can't torch 'em, aluminum case is behind them. :guns:

macktastic brake grabber
Tue Jul 13th, 2004, 06:09 PM
hey ralph , you can(1) . go to sears and get a tool made just for the situation or (2) drill the head off the screw and then drill a small hole into the screw and use an easy out that you can purchase at almost any auto parts store or ace hardware . it is very easy. dont be afraid!!!
bill

zPurpleRoom
Tue Jul 13th, 2004, 06:09 PM
I had the same problem on a Trail 90 that I started to rebuild. I used a manuel impact tool. Even though the screws were stripped...the sudden impact overcame the strippage and loosed them nicely. Not exactly sure how bad your screws are but I'm sure it is worth a try.

macktastic brake grabber
Tue Jul 13th, 2004, 06:10 PM
a hand impact may solve the problem. i have had success thAt way too.
bill

Anonymous
Tue Jul 13th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Didn't think of the easy outs... That might work.

How much are those hand impact tools?

zPurpleRoom
Tue Jul 13th, 2004, 06:24 PM
I have a sears model....they won't break the bank which is always good.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?vertical=TOOL&pid=00947641000&bidsite=&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Just a little tappy...tappy tap tap :D

Toe Dragger
Tue Jul 13th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Put a small bit in your dremel and drill a little divit in the screw head.

Then use a mallet and punch in the hole to tap the screw loose.