PDA

View Full Version : Fresh, wet oil on plugs 2 and 3

Toe Dragger
Tue Jul 13th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Was having a look at the plugs for the first time since I bought this bike; found oil on number 2 and 3. Not good. :|

Other than that the plugs looked healthy and fine.

Besides a rebuild, are there any other problems indicated by this symptom?

I planned on rebuilding this winter anyway since the bike has 13K on it, but are there any immedate concerns or issues I should be aware of before finishing the summer with this problem?

Thanks for any input.

Bueller
Tue Jul 13th, 2004, 08:25 PM
You sure it's oil? Is it smoking? 13K isn't that many miles unless you rail the shit out of it all the time. And I mean like at the track railing it.:?

Toe Dragger
Tue Jul 13th, 2004, 08:35 PM
No smoke at all.

I am positive it was oil. No doubt about it.

The funny thing it wasn't on any of the threads...it was on the part that sits just OUTSIDE the chamber between the plug and the head. Some was on the threaded part that is actually IN the threads of the head, but none extended below that.

My guess is that anything inside is burned off and the oil slowly was able to work its way up through the threads???? :?

Kinda perplexing.

I'm going to look again in a few weeks to see if its back.

As far as the rebuild at 13K.....I want to seat the rings the correct way...on a dyno. :headbang:

Mr. Turbo
Tue Jul 13th, 2004, 09:17 PM
My #2 and #3 plugs always looked a little different than #1 or #4, and then i found out the inside 2 cylinders run rich for cooling purposes. I wouldn't think you'd have to do this on a water cooled engine (mine is air/oil cooled), but anything is possible.

Anonymous
Wed Jul 14th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Hard to say. The bike does run each cylinder on it's own FI map so it could be running those rich, but rich doesn't mean oily.

Or just chalk it up to being a suzuki... :lol: