PDA

View Full Version : Close Call Thread

dm_gsxr
Wed Sep 12th, 2007, 08:00 AM
I've been thinking about this for a little while and the recent Alice thing along with starting a new job brought it forward again.

This would be just a list of the daily incidents where something you did prevented an accident. It would have a description of the potential incident and what you did, if anything, to prevent the accident from occurring.

An example from this mornings ride to work.

Date: 9/12/07
Time: About 7:15am
Conditions: Clear, sun at my back and bright in my mirrors.

The two vehicles in front of me were making a right turn, the front one being an SUV. An SUV waiting to make a left onto 7 pulled out. I could see the front end of that SUV (from bumper to just past the front wheel). Since I could just see the front end, I was already slowing down as he pulled out onto 7. When he got out enough to actually see me in the glare of the sun, he accelerated and ended up facing east on the shoulder with the :shocked: look.

My actions: I couldn't see the driver so I figured he couldn't see me, especially with the sun at my back. I slowed down about 10 to 15mph and covered the front brake so when he pulled out, I was already safely slowed and able to stop if necessary. I believe that had I been doing the speed limit or had I not been prepared, I might be having an entirely different conversation this morning.

Of course I'm Mr detail :) so whatever info you care to share is good. I'm thinking that the preventative actions might be informative to other riders for things to be aware of. And it should be current information as in what happened yesterday or today.

Oh and I'd suggest maybe one incident per post.

Carl

dm_gsxr
Wed Sep 12th, 2007, 08:04 AM
And from yesterday morning:

Date: 9/11/07
Conditions: Clear, sun at my back and bright in my mirrors.

I'm making a right on 287 to head north. As I change into the right turn lane, I maintain speed while the straight and left turners slow for the light. Suddenly a pickup with a cap in the right lane pulls into the turn lane and makes a right.

What I did: Basically I try to maintain surrounding vehicle speeds vs hitting it when this type of situation opens up. Had I zipped up to make the right turn, I might have been hit by the truck when he suddenly decided to make a right instead of going straight.

As you can see, some of these are relatively subjective. The guy in the truck might have seen me and wouldn't have made the turn if I were closer but experience and reading shows the folks constantly misjudge the speed of an approaching bike. Add the sun at my back and I think I in fact did avoid an accident or at least a much closer call.

Carl

Ricky
Wed Sep 12th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Seems to be a daily thing for me, although nothing this morning. It happens so often that I forget what happened.

However, in my normal route to and from work, I have found those spots where people will regularly cut over. 84th Ave seems to be the most dangerous. I've almost been hit 3 or 4 times by people coming on to 84th East from I25N. They've got a yield, and people tend to rush across to the left lane of 84th to turn left immediately onto grant, or later onto Washington. It's a guarantee that the majority of cars coming off I25 are going to cross all the way over 84th. So, I just take it more easily than I would in the cage. Had this happen the other day headed home for lunch, except I was the only bike, and there was a minivan coming off I25, I was in the left lane, and she came flying over like a bat out of hell. Luckily I was at her back bumper, or I would have been hit.

Also getting on I25 North in the morning from 84th... there's a dedicated right turn lane starting from grant street all the way to the I25 onramp, and people tend to jump over to get on I25 at the last second, so I am always on the lookout for that.

Last, every car I approach to pass on the freeway, I make sure I can see that person in their mirror to watch for movement. Makes for safer passing. Or at least, I feel safer :)

dm_gsxr
Sun Sep 16th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Date: 9/16/07
Time: About 1:30pm
Conditions: Overcast, little rain in the mountains

Coming home from Nederland I came over 72 to 93 and headed north to Rt 128. I was a mile or so from the bar (just to get an approximate location) with a truck a couple of miles up.

With a long line of cars approaching, I generally like to move to the right of the lane so that folks will see that there's a bike coming. Since I was on the SV vs the Hayabusa which has the head light modulator, I was a little more fearful.

So what do I see? A guy with a passenger (on a yellow bike) making a pass. I didn't really see him until I was just a few car lengths away but when I did, I stuck to the right side of the lane and gave him a wave as he went by passing the line of slower cars.

It wasn't a close call really but we were lucky that I did hang to the right instead of moving back over (I do move around in the lane to increase visibility).

Carl

dm_gsxr
Mon Sep 17th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Date: 9/17/07
Time: 5:15pm
Conditions: Partly cloudy.

I was on Lowell behind a big SUV and a pickup with a cap. I passed over 144th behind the truck. The SUV kept going straight and the truck is making a right into the Safeway parking lot. A blue SUV is waiting to make a right from the parking lot and oncoming traffic waiting to make a left into the parking lot.

The truck was 3/4's into the turn, I could see the woman in the SUV look through the truck cap and then look to the right as she made the turn. I saw her not see me and move out onto Lowell. I slowed and hit the big horn on the bike shocking her. She moved to the right to avoid hitting the big-assed truck :) As she shifted back into the center of the lane and was watching me in the mirror as I shook my finger at her.

Carl

crunch
Mon Sep 17th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Date: 9/17/07
Time: 5:15pm
Conditions: Partly cloudy.

I was on Lowell behind a big SUV and a pickup with a cap. I passed over 144th behind the truck. The SUV kept going straight and the truck is making a right into the Safeway parking lot. A blue SUV is waiting to make a right from the parking lot and oncoming traffic waiting to make a left into the parking lot.

The truck was 3/4's into the turn, I could see the woman in the SUV look through the truck cap and then look to the right as she made the turn. I saw her not see me and move out onto Lowell. I slowed and hit the big horn on the bike shocking her. She moved to the right to avoid hitting the big-assed truck :) As she shifted back into the center of the lane and was watching me in the mirror as I shook my finger at her.

Carl

Sounds like you are lucky. Maybe take a little time off the bike so as not to use up all your luck.:hump:

dm_gsxr
Wed Sep 19th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Date: 9/19/07
Time: 7:22am
Location: Rt 7 approaching Erie from the east at the light just before the city limits
Conditions: Clear, sun just at the top of my mirrors

Behind a copper pickup with the big matching hump caps on the back. A white utility van in front of him. The van's going straight and the truck's turning right at the light so he's half-way on the shoulder. I'm behind him and about 3 car lengths behind the white van.

As I enter the intersection, I see a woman in a red van to my right. She's looking towards Erie and not at me or in the intersection. She's accelerating and beginning to occupy my lane. I let loose with the 132db air horn and she jumps and about pees herself. I see her stop briefly on the shoulder and then start out again pulling out in front of a large white panel truck.

Even though it was sudden, I did see her in time. I'd already scoped out an escape route (no one was coming so I could move to the left and accelerate without a problem). The horn certainly removed her need for coffee this morning though.

Carl

pilot
Wed Sep 19th, 2007, 08:53 AM
I think you are on the right path here. Of course, there are no shots of female torsos and that would increase participation- on the whole.

Perhaps a beer sponsor to support the cause? Sure, that's it, for every 12 posts we get 20% off a sixer.

Seriously though, Carl, I think you have a good idea here. One that if read and added to by the general riding populace will help others "think-visualize" about what to do. That's the first step in doing it.

dm_gsxr
Wed Sep 19th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks. I think it's a good idea, having just a listing of things that happen and maybe a dissection of how you avoided the accident. Heck, after a few months, we'll have a good sampling of places to be extra careful at and even things to be more aware of.

Even if no one else contributes, I'll keep inputting mine. Someone might glean something from it.

Carl

pilot
Wed Sep 19th, 2007, 10:06 AM
I'll toss in my occasional issues with other drivers.

Here's one, but it happened last year and taught me a lesson. I was riding down C-470 in the right hand lane when I decided to shift over to the left. I checked my mirror and didn't see anyone coming, so I started to move into the other lane.

Bad move on my part. There was a car in my blind-spot. I saw it with only inches to spare. To this day I'm double checking by turning my head to look for someone in that place. That, and I've added wide-angle viewing mirrors.

Ricky
Wed Sep 19th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Date: 9/18/07
Time: ~7:30pm
Conditions: Sun down, getting dark.

York street at this point is a two lane road, with ditches on both sides. As I was coming home last night, I pulled up behind this guy in a beat up old honda civic. We turned left (N) onto York. He was going all ass slow, then suddenly started speeding up, went well past the speedlimit. I almost didn't notice, as I was just speeding a little bit. Suddenly, the honda starts slowly veering off into the other lane into 4 oncoming cars. All 4 cars quickly react to the car in the other lane, and I had to come to a near stop for fear he was going to smash into one of em, and I'd get caught in it. Suddenly, you see this guy react and jerk the wheel back over to the right lane. He overcorrects, and almost loses it on the pavement, then barely fixes his fishtail, and then is like normal again. I speed up to grab his license plate, cause at this point, I'm positive he's either drunk or falling asleep.

Had I not been paying attention, there's a good chance I could have been involved in something with this fuckin guy. He was all over the place.

jollyman78
Wed Sep 19th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Date: 09/14/2007
Time: About 7:15pm
Location: Old Stage, about 3 miles south of Lefthand, going southbound.
Conditions: Light rain, patchy wetness on the roads.

Coming around a nice blink left where I couldn't see up the road going into it, I see a minivan coming around the corresponding right WAY too fast and crossing the yellow line into my lane!

I was in a bit of a lean with my head turned toward his left headlight... I hit the brakes and shot straight out of the curve, up an adjacent driveway.

It wasn't as close as it sounds, but MUCH too close for comfort. The minivan never stopped.

Oldgreen
Thu Sep 20th, 2007, 12:18 AM
dm_gxsr, I would like to know where to get that loud horn and modulating headlight you were talking about.

madvlad
Thu Sep 20th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Date: 09/18/2007
Time: About midnight
Conditions: Dry, night time, very light traffic.

I'm heading home from my friend's house and the light turns green for me but little did I know some lady in a Honda Accord (Heading westbound on Quincy) runs the light like way obvious, I'm not sure if she was on the phone or something of that sort but if I wouldn't have been paying attention I would've probably been dead because she crossed that light within a few inches of just plowing me at least doing 50 mph..... I was pretty pissed for a few mins but after that I just got home and relaxed and just thanked God I didn't die.

dm_gsxr
Thu Sep 20th, 2007, 06:28 AM
dm_gxsr, I would like to know where to get that loud horn and modulating headlight you were talking about.

Check the pocketbook thread Pilot created for the modulating headlight and taillight (I'm going for the taillight addition). I can't find the thread offhand but it's here somewhere :)

I have the "stebel" horn. Just google it. There's a smaller pair of horns that might be better for sportbikes that I might have gotten if I'd have known about it. With the limited space behind the plastic, you have to be somewhat imaginative in its placement.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137/

Carl

dm_gsxr
Thu Sep 20th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Date: 09/19/2007
Time: 5:40pm
Conditions: Clear, moderate traffic

I'm heading south and am in the right lane behind 2 or 3 cars. In the left lane there is a car and a red mini-van. At the beginning of the block, an old beat-up van pulls out into the left lane and chugs on south. Now the two cars in the left lane are slowing down. I can see that the guy in the mini-van is a little impatient so I'm a bit cautious as I begin to pass him on his right so I keep a wary eye on his right mirror where I can see him.

Suddenly I see a quick look in the mirror and he starts to swerve into the right lane. I hit my horn and he jerks back into the left lane. It wasn't more than a quick swerve and swerve back and lasted about a second. He gave me an apologetic wave I could see in his right mirror. I waved back on my way past.

Carl

ihavealegohead
Thu Sep 20th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Anyone go up I25 north bound from 470 during rush hour yesterday? I kept my distance from the cars in front (slowing up some traffic behind me). There was a latter on the road, and a truck apparently lost it's wheel as there was rubber all over the place. I couldn't' believe how much STUFF I had to work around last night!

Joecycle
Thu Sep 20th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Date: 9/19/07
Time: 9:10ish

I'm coming home last night from Hooters. Go out 120th to Sheridan and turn south. I'm in the left lane of a 2 lane road. Nobody in front of me, behind me, or to my right. This A$$hole in a shopping center on the right decides to pull out on Sheridan southbound too. Instead of waiting for me, or just pulling out onto the right lane, they pull all the way RIGHT in front of me. I mean I had no clue someone would do that. I have to slam on brakes, lock 'em up and get all squirrlly (sp?). I blew the horn and went around them.

Honestly, There was NO excuse they didn't see me.

pilot
Thu Sep 20th, 2007, 07:29 AM
When: The other day
Where: I-25 Vail to Denver
What: Tired as hell from a long day's ride

When I got to the point that I was seeing things that weren't there:shocked:, I was way past the point I should have been. I should have pulled over for a rest stop and a road nap. Did I? Sure, but only after a couple of moments when I was telling myself, "Hey, I know there not a turn there, but it sure looks like it...:crazy:"

As for yourself, ever been there on the road? This, to me, very much simulated having had a few, say a few too many to drink.

Funny thing though, unlike booze that takes an hour for each drink to clear your body, this only took a 20 minute nap to clear my head. After that, I felt much more confident on the way home. I'm glad I didn't push it any farther.

Oldgreen
Thu Sep 20th, 2007, 10:17 AM
When: January 1985!
Where: Hampden Westbound north of Cherry Creek Reservoir
What: Me Hiding

Hampden is a four lane with a turn lane in the middle. I am heading westbound in the right lane with a full size van ahead and to my right. Essentially I am hidden from eastbound traffic because they can't see me behind the van. Well, a left turner waits for the van and then hangs her left in front of me!! She sees me and hits the brakes in my lane, I lock 'em up and get sideways. I am now thinking how I am gonna hit this lady, you know, try to jump, lift my leg whatever. She sees what is going on and punches it and I miss her! Well now I am sideways locked up, but I save it, thanks to three years of moto cross.
I take complete responsiblity for this one, I have been very careful since not to "hide" from oncoming traffic. I move alot in my lane trying to show myself to everybody. My son says when I follow him I am always in one of his mirrors or otherwise visible. So after every close call you need to evaluate what you could have done better to be seen or be safe. Always plan for the worst and cover that brake!!!

Ricky
Sat Sep 22nd, 2007, 03:31 PM
Date: 9/22/07
Time: ~2:30pm
Conditions: Warm & sunny with a little wind.

I just got back from a ride and had to share this cause it scared the living SHIT outta me. I was going up lookout mountain for my second time today, just to get some curve practice in, and as I came around a corner on the outside I see this silver honda coming at me, losing control around the corner. I watched as his rear tires came loose from the road, and the ass end of his car started coming right at me. I quickly corrected and got to the outside, and narrowly missed the corner of his back bumper. I got control quick and was going slowly enough to come to a stop quickly. I watched him regain control and keep driving.

Had I been in my cage, he would have smashed into me. Had I been going any faster, in control, around that corner, I probably would have been going too fast to correct and get out of the way. I was VERY lucky today :)

dm_gsxr
Tue Sep 25th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Date: 9/24/07
Time: About 5pm
Conditions: Rainy, roads wet, moderate to heavy traffic.

Where Arapahoe goes from 2 lanes to 1 lane, traffic stopped. I going about 15mph or so and was almost too close. When I stopped, the bike started sliding on the slick road surface. I even put my left foot down. I stopped about a foot away from the truck but it was scary for a moment.

Pay attention to the roads. A lot of the roads provide plenty of traction but Arapahoe specifically (and others I'm sure) has the slicker, almost tar snake like road surface. Allow for more space in the rain.

Carl

dm_gsxr
Tue Sep 25th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Date: 9/25/07
Conditions: Partly cloudy, chilly. Sun not showing from behind the clouds.

I was following a large electrical or utility truck. Before the road, I had counted and was three seconds from the back of the truck. As we approached the road, the truck in front of him and he moved to the right to take that right turn.

Again, cautious as always, I was watching for traffic that couldn't see but that was taking a chance with my life.

Sure enough, a white or silver minivan made a right turn but I was ready and had slowed a little however a gold Taurus like car driven by a swarthy looking man was looking to the right instead of in my direction and he pulled out. Only my hitting the 132db horn caused him to suddenly look in my direction and turn farther so he could come out behind me. If he hadn't heard the horn, he would have run into the side of the bike, possibly pinning my right leg.

This road and the next one up are both pretty dangerous in that folks aren't looking before they pull out betting folks will stop rather than hit them. If I continue taking this route to work, I _will_ be in an accident. I'll be looking for a different route tomorrow.

Carl

Devaclis
Tue Sep 25th, 2007, 08:17 AM
9/25/07
Time: 6:18 a.m.
Conditions, dry, cool, moderate traffic

Passing under I25 headed east on Belleview in the left through lane. White Toyota Camry exiting I25 North blew red light at intersection to Belleview and made illegal right turn in front of me. I was slowed since I know that is a wicked intersection. As soon as the person was in front of me, and saw my high beams, they waved to me. Pulled up next to them at DTC and Belleview and they rolled down their window and apologized. I let them know I have a wife and two kids and they would love it if I made it home alive today. They said "I know, sorry man, my bad" Good call, that makes me feel a lot better.

Called tag into *CSP

Centrios
Tue Sep 25th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Date: A month ago (from 9-25-07)
Time: about 8:00am
Conditions: Sun relatively high, warm and dry.

IM headed north on Wadsworth. Im getting on west bound 36. There’s two turn lanes, left and right. Im in the right lane and Speedy Gonzales is in the left. (This turn is a semi hair-pin to the left). The Arrow turns green, Speedy and I start to turn. When im in the center of south bound traffics lane I see this lady turning right (from south bound traffic) onto the on-ramp. Never F**king LOOKED!!! I back off the throttle a little but im leaned over pretty good and was nervous about grabbing to much break. Plus I was worried about getting hit from behind. Speedy G has already hammered it and is a car length in front of me. She was along side me moving closer. Once I saw she wasn’t going to stop or look, I punched it hard. I must have scared her (D&D pipe 2 feet from her door). I look back and she has STOPED along with all the other turning traffic.

Not my closet call just most recent.

How could this have been avoided: Not sure, I didn’t do much wrong? Although a better scan of the intersection may have prevented this.

While im babaling… Ill make the point that I try not to flip ppl the bird when they do something stupid. Yes they almost hit you but if you flip them off it just makes them angry rather than feeling guilty/scared.

CanAm
Sat Sep 29th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Carl,
I just came across this thread and read every message in it. Kudos to you for creating such a valuable tool for the CSC. It reminds me of the accident and near-miss reports that the aviation industry puts out (my father was a private pilot and I used to read the ones he received). This is a forum for sharing lessons learned rather than just bitch sessions about cage drivers.
One person had responded saying that you were lucky and should maybe give it a rest to save your luck. I give you more credit; I think you make your luck by riding defensively and being constantly aware of the traffic around you.
I also like your taking the high road and not giving the finger to everyone that makes a mistake. Don't we all respond better to someone who can calmly tell us we screwed up as opposed to someone who hurls obscenities at us?
I have subscribed to this thread now and don't feel that even daily reminders are too much. Riding a sport bike is as much fun as a person can have with their clothes on, but it should be treated as seriously as flying a plane. Ride safe and have fun. We can do both.
Don

dm_gsxr
Sat Sep 29th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks. Since it's a local thread, I think it has even more value. Many of the locations are familiar to us and perhaps, if one person can remember a situation detailed here and do the right thing, we'll read about a successful avoidance instead of a headline.

A followup to my last note, I did change routes and I believe that has made the commute a bit safer if a little longer. Better a few extra minutes in the saddle :)

Carl

dirkterrell
Wed Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:04 AM
I've been following this thread. Good idea, Carl.

Today I experienced a first in nearly 25 years on the street. I turned left from Folsom onto Canyon in Boulder and accelerated. Down the road I saw an RTD bus in the left lane and it went into a left turn lane. I was also in the left lane. My reaction was what I always do: move to the right of the lane to see if anyone coming the other direction is going to turn left. I also check the right mirror to be sure that I can move into that lane quickly if necessary.

I also noted a bicyclist on the ride side of the road waiting to cross. He was very obviously looking at the bus but I didn't immediately register him as a threat, as he was off the seat and standing. When I saw that no one was poised to turn left in front of me, I went back to my normal scanning mode and I see the bicyclist getting on the pedals to take off. I roll off the throttle and begin squeezing the front brake to get the bike settled for hard braking but I'm still thinking there's no way this guy is stupid enough to ride across my path. He takes off, still looking at the bus and obviously has no idea that I'm there. I increase the pressure on the front to full brake and add a little pressure to the rear pedal. He goes right in front of me and I honestly don't think he ever knew I was there. Those are times when I wish I had a Strebel. He was so oblivious that it probably would have startled him so bad that he would have fallen off the bike.

I couldn't believe a bicyclist would be that careless. But, this is Boulder after all. I see people cross the street all the time and they never give the slightest look for oncoming traffic. Y'all ride safe out there.

Dirk

Bueller
Wed Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:17 AM
Date: 10/2/07
Time: About 6:30 pm-ish
Location: Checker Auto Parking lot at Broadway and Arapahoe (approx)
Conditions: Clear, sun setting lotsa glare
I bought some oil and talked to a guy for 1/2 hr about Motards. I was leaving the parking lot, exiting onto the side street from the parking lot, with the sun glare didn't see the car approaching the intersection right away, at the last second I see the car and skid to a stop before entering the street. The little ol'e lady in the car sees my blunder and comes to a stop well ahead of the potential crash site and allows me to proceed. I wave at her in appretiation for her alertness and continue on talking to myself in my helmet for not being more careful.

dm_gsxr
Wed Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:24 AM
Date: 9/30/07
Time: about 4:30pm
Conditions: Sun behind me but it's still bright.

Heading home after the game, I came upon one of the other players (he was on a Harley Sportster). I slipped in behind him and being a rider, I stayed to his right and behind (we were getting closer to the merge area). It's not a position I like to be in especially since we were in the center lane. To the left is a red beater. I'm staying behind his right rear quarterpanel since moving up to the standard distance would put me in his blind spot. I see his turn signal and he starts to move over, spots me and jerks the wheel back into the left lane and waving at me in apology. I backed off a bit more and waved him over in front of me. After a moment he used his turn signal again and moved over and then gave me a wave again in thanks.

There were a couple of things here. Riding behind another biker seems to put me into formation; staggered behind him. Generally when I'm in the center lane, I'll weave a little and try to get in the left or right drivers mirror. Being in the staggered formation somewhat limited that which made me a bit more nervous and careful. Eventually I got around him and then around the other cars and the biker to be in the clear which is where I always try to ride :)

Carl

dm_gsxr
Wed Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:42 AM
Date: 10/3/07
Time: 7:18am
Conditions: Bright morning, sun out.

Dirk,

I do exactly the same thing. This morning on my way to work I came upon a long line of cars waiting to make a left with a bus at the front. Since I can't see the oncoming left turn lane, I really hugged the right side of the lane (typically I'm in the right side of a left lane anyway) and kept an eye out for left turners. In this case I think my action prevented a close call as the first car made the left (plenty of space) but the one behind had to have seen me and waited.

Many times just the regular actions will prevent the closest of calls. Staying to the right while in the left lane and especially to the right when approaching a lot of left turn drivers might save your bike and ass :)

Carl

Oldgreen
Sat Oct 6th, 2007, 10:27 AM
I have always done a little weaving in traffic. I will take the left side of the lane to "show" myself to potential left turners and to see if there are any. I also try real hard not to 'hide" behind cars/vans/trucks. I usually increase my following distance for this. Also I will accerlate to get out of a blind spot in traffic and I try to make a lot of eye contact. My only bad habit is getting on it for a pass before oncoming traffic is clear. I gotta work on that. I live in Estes so I canyon carve up and down the canyons and pass a lot on two lane roads.

elbromisto
Sun Oct 7th, 2007, 03:01 PM
I commute from about March until November regularly, and in the winter I trade the gixxer for a mtn. bike depending on road conditions. It's short but I see a lot of oblivious drivers in my short ride.
Short story:
Cager tried to merge into my lane on an empty road. I assessed the threat before it occurred, I visualized a "solution line," and I was fully prepared to execute when the worst case scenario came true. I merged into the right lane, got on the horn, and merged into the bike lane/shoulder and began to brake when the minivan continued to push me off the road. I also anticipated her utter shock when she realized I was there, so I was ready to accelerate ahead when she slammed on the brakes as she heard my horn and looked in the window.
Long story:
Recently I got on a road in between lights so I was the only vehicle on four lanes for about a quarter mile. I was westbound in the left lane, nearing my turn, when I noticed a minivan about to leave a museum/pre-school parking lot. The driver pulled out right in front of me, also going west. I covered the brake, got off the gas, and merged into the right lane since she obviously didn't see me. Then she merged right, directly into me. The best part is that I wasn't even in her blind spot. I was looking in her passenger window as I laid on the horn. I simultaneously edged toward the bike lane while staying close to her van to maximize maneuverability within the lane. She slammed on the brakes (which put her in my path again since I was decelerating), I went ahead, pointing my finger "shame on you," and went home.

A few minutes later she came to my house (my bike was parked outside) a sobbed an apology. The van full of children distracted her (big surprise!) I told her if my son is distracting to me then I go nowhere until the car is again a safe environment to drive in. It's too bad that some stereotypes exist, but we have created them for millions of years because they really do increase our survival rate.

dattaway
Sun Oct 7th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Would you jump over a car or go around it? In the rain?

Two years ago I had a close call with mortality. I was on my way to work and the rain was very heavy on I70. Water didn't have a chance to drain from the highway and left up to an inch of water in the lanes. Visibility was very poor. My visor was fogged and I had it open so I could peek over the windscreen for a clear shot. My headlight wasn't all that great on this dark highway. Power was knocked out so there were no other lights.

And there it was, an image of a stalled compact car dead ahead of me with no lights or hazards in the middle of the highway. When I recognized it, I could have almost read the license plate of this blue Geo and I did notice its doors were closed with no people outside. I was traveling 60mph. How would have my bike handled this? I previously found the hydroplane point with this much water is 90mph. That's the point where the rear tire spools up and won't accelerate. I remembered from playing around many times earlier that braking under these conditions is fairly good and quickly recoverable. I might have been able to shave off perhaps 10-20mph, but using that acceleration to turn might have been better.

I had a choice. I had enough time to try and jump over this compact car or I could attempt to go around it. Jumping would cause total loss of bike, I would have been late for work, and a possible serious injury from slamming the waterlogged pavement at 60mph from several feet in the air if I was lucky. If I jumped wrong, I could have planted my face into the back of the car while doing a flip, breaking my body in half.

Or I could have found out how much turning ability my bike had. I didn't want to be late for work, so I pushed the bars with the most slip I thought my front tire could take without wiping out. It turned out I made a wise choice. My bike changed lanes without an interruption. At work during my first break, I saw a fatality accident at that location on television. I was somber that shift.

From this, I've learned its best to avoid the accident than "laying it down" or trying to jump over. This was my only near fatality and I remain accident free.

Kristian
Wed Oct 31st, 2007, 04:00 PM
Yesterday afternoon on I-25 between Hampden and Yale, got to use the Stebel for the first time. Red Explorer decided to enter my lane. Blew the horn, and he almost wrecked correcting himself!

dm_gsxr
Fri Dec 21st, 2007, 06:39 AM
It seems that changing my route and the change in time have severely reduced the close calls. However :)

Date: 12/20/07
Time: 5:00pm
Conditions: Deep dusk (still a little light in the sky)

I'm on Rita's Ninja 650 this week. The intersection is a four way stop. Sheridan has a median and Lowell is a two lane road.

As I headed south on Lowell and approached the stop sign, I could see a SUV heading towards the stop to my right. I got to the stop sign several car lengths before the SUV got to his (or hers). Put my foot down and then accelerated just as the SUV stopped. I'm about a car length from the SUV as he starts to pull out. He gets about a half a car length before slamming on the brakes and nose diving the SUV.

Unfortunately had he not stopped, he would have hit me. I wasn't expecting him to stop and go. Generally I keep an eye to see if the drivers look like they're not going to stop at all which is typical.

So expect anything.

Ride Safe.

Carl

CanAm
Sat Dec 22nd, 2007, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the report Carl. I hadn't seen one of these in a while and I think it is good to be reminded of the hazards we face, but with a positive outcome. Otherwise all you hear about are the serious accidents and fatals. That that's just depressing.

dm_gsxr
Sat Dec 22nd, 2007, 01:58 PM
I'm curious to see what this list looks like at the end of a year. It might prove interesting :)

Date: 12/21/07
Time: 2:15pm
Conditions: Light Snow Flurries

I'm heading south in the left lane. About 60% of the time I'll take the left onto 7 unless the cars are backed up into the main street. This time I'm going straight. A white sedan is in the right lane. It's the tail end of traffic and the light starts to change as I go through the intersection. I see a minivan making a right turn into 287 and the white car decides to move into the left lane so the minivan can merge into traffic.

Of course I'm right there so I accelerate to get ahead of the car. He apparently never sees me because he keeps on merging into the left lane without a pause.

I didn't feel threatened in part because I was able to react. I'm pretty sure I didn't expect him to try and merge though. My automatic reaction was to accelerate out of the situation. I waggled my index finger at him after I passed and then just kept going.

Carl

rapparee
Tue Jan 8th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I do not have a specific incident but rather an intersection that has always been a challenge. It is at Central St. and 20th street. As you head north on Central and come around the corner onto the 20th St bridge over I-25 there is an on ramp that always seems to have cars making left hand turns in order to get onto the highway. I have had a few close calls at this spot including having to come to a full stop then having 3 cars pass right in front of me just because they could. Keep your head up and there should be no problems but people getting off of work downtown just do not seem to care.

dm_gsxr
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:43 AM
It's been a little while since I've anything worth reporting :)

Date: 1/23/08
Time: 7:15am
Conditions: Moderately cold

This was totally my fault.

Heading west on 144th/Dillon road, I was behind another car who was doing the speed limit (35mph) which wasn't usual on that stretch. At the bottom of the hill is the light which lets you go to Reed and Wright. It used to be Dillon road before they rerouted it due to 470.

The light sometimes changes for no good reason and it's a fast change. Sometimes the morning light is just right and the light is obscured. I know I've gone through the red a couple of times just due to the positioning of the light. All these are just excuses really.

Of course this morning the light changes. We do have plenty of time to go through the light however the guy in front of me just stops instead of going through the yellow. I'm anticipating that he'll go through the light so his stopping catches me by surprise which is my big mistake.

I'd already seen that no one was making the left turn, no one was coming in our direction (there's no opposing left turn to cross our traffic), so instead of panic stopping in the left over "salt" and possibly losing it, I decided to blow through the light.

I didn't like it however I had determined it was probably the safest thing I could do under the circumstances. If someone had been waiting to make the turn (almost always a semi), it would have been a bigger risk and I might have made a different decision.

I was a lot more careful when I continued on and kept an eye on my mirrors to see if a cop had been in the line of traffic behind me (of course I would have pulled over and explained it, hoping for understanding :) ).

Be careful out there.

Carl

pilot
Wed Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:45 AM
Nice save Carl.

QuarterMile
Sun Feb 10th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I know this is off topic without posting about a close call, but yeah reading some of them makes my nuts hurt lol. I been in some crazy situations myself.

Blindone
Sat Feb 23rd, 2008, 02:40 PM
I25 and 6th ave
Noon
2/22/08
moderate mid-day traffic

I was in the inside lane doing about 55 when i got something in my left eye. traffic was too heavy to get off to the side of the road and clear whatever it was that entered my eye. My eye started to water really badly and was causing severe discomfort. I couldn't ride with only my right eye for some reason, it seemed to be loosing vision as well. Anyway I forced blood into my head and it helped my vision return. Kinda has freaked me out and I'm not sure what caused it. I had my Arai on with the visor locked down.

mushin_man39
Sat Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:12 PM
I was on my GSX R600 leaving my driveway at 7:03 am. Meanwhile, a train is leaving the station in Chicago. The LA express is pulling out of Los Angeles, as well. At 10:03 MST, a bird flies over Detroit. At the same time, I swerve around a dead cat. What color are my boxers now?

tarded400
Sun Feb 24th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Sheesh, I commute on the wife's ORANGE sv and get merged into about 3 or 4 times a week. Last time the guy knew I was there, he just wanted my lane. About 75% of the time they never saw me, continuing into my lane. It doesn't do any good to honk or flash your lights either, because they either don't see/hear it, or assume its your fault because "you appeared out of no where." Must be a sportbike hauling ass.

CanAm
Mon Feb 25th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Time for a Steble air horn. I don't have one myself yet, still working on a HID conversion, but I have heard great things about them. At 139 db people think they've just cut off a tractor-trailer. :)

dm_gsxr
Wed Mar 12th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Date: 3/12/07
Time: About 7:20am
Conditions: Clear and windy

Approaching a large pickup with three guys. I started my pass. As I got to the driver side door, I could see that they were coming up on a much slower car. I realized they were much closer and expected that they were going to pass as well so I opened the throttle; both to get ahead and to let them know I was there. As I passed the front fender and tire, I could see it beginning to cross the double yellow. They pulled back in behind the car and slowed down.

I believe they started to accelerate in order to pass the car as I recall seeing the car before I got close to the truck and it was pretty far up the road.

Mistakes:

I couldn't see the car ahead of the truck before I started my pass. It could have been making a left or right which would have ruined my day.

The truck driver didn't look before starting his pass.

Carl

dirkterrell
Wed Mar 12th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Date: 3/12/07
I couldn't see the car ahead of the truck before I started my pass. It could have been making a left or right which would have ruined my day.

Yep, that's always a good thing to keep in mind. I've heard many stories of people having someone turn left during a pass. I recall a thread here last year about such an incident. I think Pilot posted it along the lines of "can you tell what happened here?"

Dirk

dm_gsxr
Wed Mar 12th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Yep, that's always a good thing to keep in mind. I've heard many stories of people having someone turn left during a pass. I recall a thread here last year about such an incident. I think Pilot posted it along the lines of "can you tell what happened here?"

Dirk

I think in general I saw the car but it was far ahead. Either the guy in the truck picked up speed or the car was going a lot slower than either of us expected. It is hard to see around the larger vehicles and I'm pretty sure I was below the drivers window when I went by so it was a 250 or 350 sized truck.

If I remember the picture correctly, wasn't it a double yellow line too? Granted we do cross on double yellows at times but I'm always careful not to do that when there's a left or right turn visible.

Carl

dirkterrell
Wed Mar 12th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I think in general I saw the car but it was far ahead. Either the guy in the truck picked up speed or the car was going a lot slower than either of us expected. It is hard to see around the larger vehicles and I'm pretty sure I was below the drivers window when I went by so it was a 250 or 350 sized truck.

Yeah, I always get very uncomfortable when I can't see around somebody.

If I remember the picture correctly, wasn't it a double yellow line too? Granted we do cross on double yellows at times but I'm always careful not to do that when there's a left or right turn visible.

I seem to recall that it was a double yellow, yes.

Dirk

mtnairlover
Wed Mar 12th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Wednesday, March 13
Time: ~ 3:30 pm

Take a look at the pics and then offer up opinions based on my scenario. I'm a tad perplexed with how this happened. Note the scratches on the outer edge of the tire...
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/scratch_wideshot.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/scratch_closeup.jpg

So, these were the conditions...

cloudy and windy
wind chill maybe at 40 degrees
no gravel
no noticeable mag chloride
no water
I'd been riding for about 45 minutes alreadyThe rear tire is stock and has about 4800 miles on it. I was following a car that was determined to stay ahead of me on the road. Since I wasn't in a hurry to get anywhere, I stayed behind the car. We were doing maybe 10-15 over on a 45mph road. The last corner before coming down from the Res is about a 20mph corner heading East. It's a blind corner as well. The car maybe slows to about 40mph. I keep my distance, let off the throttle and set myself up for the corner. I lean and then all of a sudden, I feel no traction what-so-ever. I freak, so on sheer fear, I stand the bike up a tad (not all the way, just a tad). I'm still in that corner, but now taking it way wide and cross over the center about a foot. Luckily, no on-coming traffic.

So, what's anyone's opinion on this scenario? Bad tires? Just a cold road? What? I'm curious and also really glad I didn't biff it.

CanAm
Thu Mar 13th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Cath,
Were you still engine braking when you were leaned over? That would do it in that cold of a temp. Even if you were at neutral throttle, looks like you were leaned over pretty good and sport bike tires just don't like those cold temps. My bike is so squirrelly when it's that cold. I had it break loose on me up on Horsetooth this year when I pulled out to pass a car under mild acceleration. Basically you can accelerate or brake or turn, but you can't do more than one at a time in cold conditions.
Don

mtnairlover
Thu Mar 13th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I wasn't engine braking and wasn't throttling up aggresively either...at least I didn't think so. But, after speaking with Patrick about it last night, I realized I was wrong about the age of the rear tire. My brain is stuck in '07, but the tire is actually 2 years old. The previous owner didn't ride much, so it's a stock tire, and since I bought it when the weather turned cold, I haven't had a chance to wear it down fast enough to require a change. Looks like new tires are in the near future for me.

And yeah, I think most definitely, it was the weather/cold combined with the age of tire and maybe I was a tad too aggresive.

dirkterrell
Thu Mar 13th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Wednesday, March 13
The rear tire is stock and has about 4800 miles on it.

Yep, probably cold tire. What brand/model is it? I have never liked any of the stock tires on my bikes except for the Bridgestones on the VFR. The Dunlops on the Gixxer seriously sucked. They would slide way too easily under power exiting a turn. I replaced them with Michelins (Pilot Power 2CT) and they rock.

Dirk

mtnairlover
Thu Mar 13th, 2008, 10:38 AM
The tires are the Bridgestone Battlax tires.

On my previous Zed, I switched out tires to the Avon Azarros in 06 and then got the Avon Storm STs last year and absolutely love that tire. I have never had a problem with those tires, in any weather condition. I'm definitely switching back to those for this season.

fullgrownbear
Fri Mar 14th, 2008, 08:58 PM
March 14th, 2008 approximately 3:00pm.

I was on my way back home, southbound on I-25 approaching the 270/I-76 exits. I was in the left lane, cruising with moderate to heavy traffic at a speed of approximately 65 to 70mph.

Ahead of me were two lardge semi's in the same lane, one was hauling an oversized load. To the left of me was about a 12' wide shoulder, that I had made myself aware of.

In the blink of an eye ahead of me, solid black smoke filled the air. The vehicle in front of me suddenly locked up its breaks, and I witnessed several vehicles in front of that one dive into the left shoulder obviously to avoid a collision. They didn't take up the entire shoulder, but kind of straddled the left yellow line.

I was faced with two choices. I knew I probably had enough stopping power on my brand new FZ1 in order to stop for the white van ahead of me that had just locked up its brakes, obviously due to some fucktard not paying attention. It was either stop rapidly behind him(I knew I had enough distance), or dive to the left 12' wide shoulder, and coast it out.

I chose to coast to the left shoulder, and coast it out, passing all of the dumbasses that had just about caused the accident in the first place.

It's a good thing I did, because as I was pulling into the left shoulder to avoid the mess, I glanced in my right rear view mirror and noticed the vehicle that was behind me, come within inches of nailing the white van that was ahead of me. I would have been spam in a can.

For what its worth, I think I'll take the shoulder from now on when something like this happens. I'd rather take my chances doing that then being sandwiched in between two cars.

Any similar experiences?

tarded400
Fri Mar 14th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I had a similar experience a year or so ago in I25- That is when I started using ALL 5 senses while riding. We were goin along, about like you, 65-70mph when I smell hot brakes. I was thinking about why I would smell hot brakes or what else it could be, but all of the sudden traffic just stopped. I jammed on the brakes and when I glanced in my rear view, I saw an F350 with a service bed on it behind me. Luckily he stopped, cuz I chose to stay in the lane..... I would just be aware that the reason people slammed on their brakes might be a state patrol or etc in the break down lane.

TFOGGuys
Sat Mar 15th, 2008, 09:13 AM
The tires are the Bridgestone Battlax tires.

On my previous Zed, I switched out tires to the Avon Azarros in 06 and then got the Avon Storm STs last year and absolutely love that tire. I have never had a problem with those tires, in any weather condition. I'm definitely switching back to those for this season.

Got 'em in stock when you're ready!

[/thread jacking]

Dysco
Mon Mar 17th, 2008, 09:21 AM
For what its worth, I think I'll take the shoulder from now on when something like this happens. I'd rather take my chances doing that then being sandwiched in between two cars.

Any similar experiences?

I usually choose the dotted line. Traction sucks on the shoulders. It's rare that I'll quick-stop behind a vehicle, I'm usually to one side or another. Getting rear-ended doesn't have to mean getting squished.

dm_gsxr
Wed Mar 19th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I had a similar experience a year or so ago in I25- That is when I started using ALL 5 senses while riding. We were goin along, about like you, 65-70mph when I smell hot brakes. I was thinking about why I would smell hot brakes or what else it could be, but all of the sudden traffic just stopped. I jammed on the brakes and when I glanced in my rear view, I saw an F350 with a service bed on it behind me. Luckily he stopped, cuz I chose to stay in the lane..... I would just be aware that the reason people slammed on their brakes might be a state patrol or etc in the break down lane.

A few years ago in the northern Virginia area during the sniper shootings, I recall going home and seeing a pair of motorcycle cops riding on the shoulder going in the opposite direction (heading towards us on either shoulder).

When I got home, I saw on the news that there had been a shooting near the Springfield exit of 95 and they were heading to the shooting. And the cop that was on the bike in the right shoulder had been killed by a tow truck that had pulled into the shoulder in front of the moving cop.

While it didn't say it, I've seen thing like what you're saying where folks who aren't paying attention suddenly pull into the shoulder because they were following too close to react. In this case I think someone ahead of the tow truck driver saw the oncoming cops and hit the brakes. Since they weren't paying attention, they swerved into the shoulder to avoid an accident and the cop just happened to be right there and was killed in a head on.

Carl

Nobody
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 12:22 PM
When: Friday April 4th approximately 11:00PM
Where: Jordan at the night next to the last gas station before Arapahoe road heading into parker.

I was cruising doing about 5 over, there was some kind of Japanese sedan in front of me, looked like an early 90's accord. Yahoo locked up his brakes for no apparent reason and came to a complete stop at a GREEN light. Tried to stop behind him, but there was some shit on the road and my rear tire is pretty worn so the back end started coming out immediately. Got off the brake and jumped into the right lane. As I passed through the intersection, I noted that it was completely empty. No idea why that chick decided to stop, she was definitely on her cell phone.

tarded400
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I had a car try and merge into me the other day- I'm used to that, but what really scared me is when I got on my horn, she swerved FARTHER into my lane before correcting and whipping back into her own lane. Car was a red intrepid with heavy body damage to the rear and a spare doughnut tire on the RF. I thought she was going to roll it. From now on I think I'm going avoid scaring them and just split lanes or something. If I would have been 10 feet ahead of where I was, she would have hit me.

Nobody
Sat Apr 5th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I had a car try and merge into me the other day- I'm used to that, but what really scared me is when I got on my horn, she swerved FARTHER into my lane before correcting and whipping back into her own lane. Car was a red intrepid with heavy body damage to the rear and a spare doughnut tire on the RF. I thought she was going to roll it. From now on I think I'm going avoid scaring them and just split lanes or something. If I would have been 10 feet ahead of where I was, she would have hit me.

Amen to that happens every time I get on the bike. I've learned to not stay next to SUV's and dumb SOB's on their cell phones. It's usually pretty easy to tell if they're paying attention by looking in the window and seeing what state the person's in. If it's two fools in a cadillac passing a blunt, I definitely get past them asap.

Jadam
Sat Apr 19th, 2008, 03:58 PM
This is something not to bright I did that I luckily didn't wreck but in effect made me think even more on the road.

crusin down sante fe in mild traffic. I was in the center lane, the guy in front of me change lanes and out of my way. I had a nice open lane ahead of me. Looked like a tunnel with full lanes on both sides of me. Well I sped up to take advantage of this clear road ahead of me. Once I started to pick up the pace I began thinking "with how full these lanes to either side of me are and how empty mine is I bet someone will just swing over"

Sure enough some guy in a saturn pulled out right infront of me without a care in the world. I knew I wouldnt beable to break in time, so i squeezed it centerline between him and a semi. Scary incedent.

It was that guys fault for not paying attention and pulling out in front of me. But just because it's his fault doesn't mean that I can't be more careful. Things turned out ok, but just got me thinking twice about every time i pull on that throttle in traffic weather I have a clear shot or not.

teamhypoxia
Sat Apr 19th, 2008, 04:18 PM
It was that guys fault for not paying attention and pulling out in front of me. But just because it's his fault doesn't mean that I can't be more careful.

Well said. Who's fault it is won't make a whole lot of difference to you or your family if you're laying in a hospital bed or the morgue.

tarded400
Sat Apr 19th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Very common situation Jadam... good advice.

ihavealegohead
Mon Apr 21st, 2008, 08:15 AM
Sunday 11:45 I meet a friend at the Gas Station On South Santa Fe Drive and Town Center Drive. We gas up check out the bikes, I remark how clean his bike is, he looks at my new Diablo Rosso tires. The sun is overhead, 75 degrees, there is a little wind.

We depart at 12:50.

After waiting for a break in traffic, I turn right and we head north on Santa Fe Drive toward 470. There is a straight part and then the road dips down toward 470. Traffic is moving at about 55 and I accelerate up to the speed of traffic my friend on his Ducati at a safe distance behind.

I was in the left lane. Approximately five car lengths and 3 seconds ahead in the right lane was a grey Cadillac sts.

In the opposite lane of traffic waiting ever so patiently to turn left in front of us, I see a Black SUV. There is a lot of traffic so I expect we'll pass before the driver makes the left turn. I'm 3 seconds behind the grey Cadillac so I cover my break just in case.

Just at the grey Cadillac approaches, the black SUV guns it and takes out the Cadillac with a frightening crunch sound, car parts are flying all over the place. The SUV clears the Cadillac right off the road leaving just debri. I hit the break softly and quickly scan my mirror to see if anyone wants to run me over. I see the ducati and some other traffic. We continue through the debri strung all over the place, avoiding the big parts we pull off to the right.

I get out and see an elderly lady in the driver seat. I can't get the door open so I walk over to the passenger side. She unlocks the door manually because the electronics don't work any more. The keys are stuck in the ignition and she can't shut the window wipers off. She's freaking out and I talk to her for about 5 minutes until she calms down. I keep telling her she's OK. We talk about the accident, I tell her that she's safe and that the car did it's job: she's OK. She wants to get out of the car. The inside looks good, she checks herself and I don't see any signs of injury. She's composed and in control, so I help her get across the seat and out. Quick check she seems good. The crash was so violent I'm surprised this 75 year old women is even walking at this point.

My friend returns after talking to the other driver. I leave my information and we go check the bikes.

Nothing stuck to the bikes, we check over the tires, no cuts or car parts sticking out of them. We remark how a few extra seconds at the GAS station might have saved our life and we head off.

If I were the grey Cadillac there is no way I would have time to hit the breaks. Instead of reading this, there would be a new thread of a different kind.

All I can say is holy shit that was close!!

RyNo24
Mon Apr 28th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Sunday April 27, 2008 approx 4:00pm

I was on west bound C-470 coming back from Black Hawk with my girl on the back of the bike and Damir fallowing, all going about 65mph. Right as we go past Bandimere Speedway, a pigeon flies out of the grass on the right shoulder. The bird gets caught in a cross wind, sending it straight for my bike, it hits the air coming off the front of my bike, missing the windshield by maybe 2 inches, I duck missing the bird by inches off my helmet. It then rolls past my helmet (I was in full crouch to avoid hitting it) and one of the wings brushed my girl's helmet. Damir said the bird re-gained control barley missing the pavement and flew off.

This all happened after I got crapped on by a bird coming down Wadsworth. I had poo on my face shield, jack, and riding pants.... DAMN BIRDS :banghead: lol.

tarded400
Mon Apr 28th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I hit a bird one time doing about 130... good thing it hit the bike before it hit me. Not something I would suggest. Splattered blood all down my rain suit.

dm_gsxr
Fri May 9th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Date: ~5/5/08
Time: About 4:45pm
Conditions: Clear

I didn't consider this a close call at the time but in retrospect it might be good info.

The light at Rt 52 was red. I was second back in the left lane. There was an accident in the far right northbound lane. One of the cars was halfway up the bed. There was a long line of cars in the left lane.

When the light changed, the truck in front of me accelerated and was going a little faster than the minivan in the right lane. I was preparing to signal, change to the right lane and accelerate away from traffic when I noticed a big white 10 wheeled moving type truck had all of a sudden made a U-Turn from the traffic on the northbound side directly across both lanes :shocked:

I aborted my lane shift as the rest of us slowed down. He wasn't immediately in front of both lanes of traffic. No panic stops, just holy crap slow downs :) He slowed and pulled on to our right shoulder.

I felt that had I completed my lane shift, there's a good chance I would have easily impacted the side of the truck.

The truck that was in front of me shifted to the right lane and as I went by, he was looking over at me and shaking his head. I shook mine too and headed on home.

In this case it's hard to say exactly what happened to keep me from aborting my shift. I'd hit my turn signal and turned my head to make sure the lane was clear. It was almost a corner of the eye "WTF! Big White Wall!" instinctive abort than anything I can remember contemplating. It might just be my habit of being aware of escape routes.

Carl

tarded400
Fri May 9th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Gotta love the head shakers. They're always the ones that almost cashed your chips.

dm_gsxr
Fri May 9th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Gotta love the head shakers. They're always the ones that almost cashed your chips.

No, he was the guy that was in front of me that I was going to pass. The one swarthy looking guy in the big 10 wheeler was looking down as I went by him. The pickup guy was just commiserating with me at just how stupid folks are.

Carl

Bebop
Sat Jun 14th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I have a few of them I can tell you guys about.

First one I know all of us have delt with. I was riding home, north bound on Sheridan around 84th. I was in the left lane going maybe 5 over i was about to pass an older red pathfinder who was in the right lane I was watching him in the mirror and he checked the mirror I would have sworn the he saw me but he started to come over into my lane. I push in the clutch and rev the engine (this works better for me because the engine is louder than my horn, believe me it gets peoples attention). He notices me after his is in the lane. I share this because if we don’t have that loud horn a quick rev of the engine is a good way to get peoples attention.

This one is just me being young and stupid. I was on a back rode with some friends riding back from getting some lunch. It was a rode I had never been on before. Its a back road between two very small towns near Grand Junction. Well I am the 2nd of three riders so one in front of me in the left of the lane and I am in the right (the 3rd rider didn’t want to take the corners as fast as we were, so we would take a few faster than him and then slow down and wait). I start to take this turn and its one of the turns that starts out at a certain angle then has another turn inside that turn. Well its on a blind corner and I am, or at least I think I am, over as far as I can go when this second turn comes up. I knew I couldn’t ride out the corner by staying at the same angle because that would put me into on coming traffic(which there was none, but I didn't know that) or worse into the ravine or risk not cutting the corner enough and risk hitting the ass end of my friend .So I had one thought, get this bike over further or your dead, I did and as I pulled out of the corner I came within inches of hitting my friend who had slowed down because he had taken the corner too fast two. He could have rotated his foot to stick his toe out and touched my bike that’s how close we were. My advice from this is, if you don't know the road slow down, we were doing about 20 over. Like I said young and stupid.

Another one I have also happened on a back road near Glenwood Springs. I was riding with a friend with a car following close (too close at times). Well my bike suddenly dies. I can't figure out why it did it but I start coming to a stop on a blind corner so I get over to try to give him some space. Well this guy decides that he is not going to slow down or give me room by moving into the other lane. He forces me into the gravel and my bike slips out from me, fortunately I was wearing my helmet. I was pissed to say the least so after I got my bike started again (never figured out why it died) we try to chase him down but never find him. Personally the only thing I can think of that would have changed anything was if I would have stopped in the road, he would have been forced to stop behind me and then I could have moved to the side of the road. I guess no damage that was too bad, some cosmetic damage to the bike and a skinned elbow.

One of the bad intersections I have notice while in Denver is northbound on Sheridan where 36 merges onto Sheridan. Its two lanes over the highway and a few hundred feet off the off ramp but there is a acceleration lane for the people coming off 36 getting onto Sheridan. Rush hour especially people have a tendency to cut from the far right to the far left sometimes cutting me off or almost side swiping me.

sandboxshooter
Sat Jun 14th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I dumped mine yesterday on College Drive, Fort Collins...(well...actually power stoppie that ended bad), but better than rear ending the car in front of me. Some assclown ahead of the car ahead of me did a brake lockup FOR NO APPARENT REASON...and it was either curb on left, car on right, rear end the car in front of me, or do myself to keep from hitting anything....i chose the latter....boy, I am sore as hell right now...broken left wrist, right side all the way down hurts bad and there is some issue with right shoulder...all in all the bike has minimum damage. Rear cowling took most of it, my body helped cushion it when it came all the way over and scraped up right side fairings some. I rode it home to Cheyenne so I didn't have to leave it down there. Was a great day till then. (Friday the 13th....I just about sh#t when the nice policeman told me the day.......) So, out of commission for a little while till wrist and shoulder heals up and I get bike repaired.

So....close call from hitting other vehicles I guess you can say....I REALLY didn't wanna hit anyone else......

tarded400
Sat Jun 14th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Screw that man, I'd rather plow into them and make them stop and wait for the cops than dump it and get ran over plus have the vehicle that caused it take off and make you look like a stunnah gone bad. Obviously try to avoid it first, and I probably would have done the same thing, but hindsight... did both vehicles hang around? Who is paying for your hospital bills?

sandboxshooter
Sat Jun 14th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Several people stopped and helped..and wrote witness statements...it wasn't the guy in front of me that was the assclown...he was cool...it was some assclown in a truck in front of him. No other options for me....the lady to my right almost ran me over....I thanked her for not doing that. I have good insurance, I'm retired military.

RyNo24
Sun Jun 15th, 2008, 12:55 AM
unfortunately, I do not think you can make anyone else pay for it. 99% of the time when you wreck behind someone, the cops wills say it "your fault" for not being "in control" of your vehicle. Even if an ass clown decides to stop for no reason and you hit them, they will give you the ticket, and you will have to pay for the repairs on their car. It a crappy traffic rule that puts blame on the wrong people.

Anyway, I am glad you came out of it fairly okay, and I wish you a fast recovery. Cars are stupid and the bikers always come out of these situations badly.

Mel
Sun Jun 15th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I was once coming out of a corner in a canyon, only to discover a rock slide at the exit. Dude in front of me braked, and....oh, wait...that wasn't a close call. Carry on.

CanAm
Mon Jun 16th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Ya know the thing that makes this thread so worth reading is the lessons learned that can help us avoid getting creamed in the future. I've been following Sandbox's story and the comments to it. What I get from it is to leave enough distance between me and the vehicle in front that I can stop safely if someone unexpectedly slams on their brakes. That means not only not hitting the vehicle in front or doing an endo', but also not being run over by the vehicle behind me. I took road safety training from a guy that teaches both road and track riding skills and he beat into my skull that in traffic I need to have two seconds between me and the vehicle in front. At 35 mph that is 100 ft! That seems ridiculously huge but just watch when a pothole or a rock or something appears from under the vehicle in front of you how quickly you reach it and how difficult it can be to avoid it.
It does not matter shit whether the driver/rider up ahead had a good reason to slam on his/her brakes. You, and only you, are responsible for not hitting the vehicle in front of you. And you are going to pay the price if you don't.

sandboxshooter
Mon Jun 16th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Yeah...unfortunately on College Drive in FC, you will never get the 100 feet...someone is always jumping in there if there is room.....I was lucky...and damn glad I didn't hit any vehicles or get run over....my survival instinct is too strong to purposely run into someone....I think I did the only thing I could've done in that situation.....who knows?

tarded400
Mon Jun 16th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I was in a situation around prospect on college last year when I had to stop suddenly from about 45 mph. I was in the middle lane, and all of the sudden it just stopped. I had plenty of distance, so it wasn't emergency braking, but I started looking to either side to see if a lane was clear. I couldn't see anything, and I figured I'd rather sit for a few extra seconds than pull out in front of someone going 50. So I'm coming up to a stop and I hear tires screeching, so I start rapidly looking to each side, but theres no way to tell if someone is coming, so I just got up on the bumper of the person in front of me, and shortly after the screeching tires I hear the thud, and a second or so after that I feel a slight tap on my rear wheel. The driver of the minivan behind me had a relative that was rear ended on a motorcycle and tossed into the oncoming lane of traffic, so she was giving me a bit of extra space. A kid in a jeep didn't see traffic stopping and locked up all four wheels before plowing into the back of the minivan, which just barely nudged my back tire. I stuck around and thanked her many, many times, and filled out a witness statement. Of course I didn't say I was involved, but just as a witness. Gotta keep an eye out. I kept thinking afterwards if I would rather be rear ended and sandwiched or risk getting plowed over by changing lanes into an unknown situation.

Oldgreen
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Remember, white lining is okay if it saves your ass. Hey Sand, the dude probabley slammed them 'cause someone was tailgating, he had a fight with the gf or some other good reason. Always look for the escape route and remember it changes constantly.

sandboxshooter
Tue Jun 17th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Yeah, I always assume they're gonna do the worst...and always look for my escape routes.....this one just closed too fast....and I felt the car next to me...so.....just sucked overall......life is always another lesson.....like I was telling a friend today, I can mark off highside on the life list of things.....lol

IT WASN'T ME!
Fri Jun 20th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I was thinking about all the close calls I have had over the years. I was shocked to realize that every time someone turned in front of me, or cut me off, or pulled out in front of me, I knew as soon as I saw them that they were going to do it. Kind of like ESP or something. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

MetaLord 9
Fri Jun 20th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I've had that too. They just get that look about them of "I'm about to do something really really stupid."

tarded400
Fri Jun 20th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I thought that was the normal drivers expression...

Squisha
Fri Jun 20th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I was thinking about all the close calls I have had over the years. I was shocked to realize that every time someone turned in front of me, or cut me off, or pulled out in front of me, I knew as soon as I saw them that they were going to do it. Kind of like ESP or something. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

Happens to me all the time...(in my car too) I've been doing that for years. I don't know if it's a skill that can be developed or not, but it has saved me from otherwise unknown disaster many, many times.

IT WASN'T ME!
Fri Jun 20th, 2008, 02:48 PM
/\ /\ :lol:

IT WASN'T ME!
Fri Jun 20th, 2008, 02:58 PM
All but one of my wrecks have been due to me riding too fast, or riding too fast and not concentrating, or riding too fast and hitting gravel / water / sand, or riding too fast for the stock front tire, etc. Even the one where a car collected me, I knew she was going to do something stupid, I just didn't listen to that little voice.

dm_gsxr
Fri Sep 5th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Date: 9/4/08
Time: About 4:25pm

It's been a few months but it looks like they're starting up again.

The light at Lookout Road was red, two cars at the light. A third, black car with Wyoming tags had shifted into the left lane just before the light. I saw a mail truck coming from the right on Lookout getting ready to make the right turn onto 287.

The light had changed and the cars were accelerating as I approached. The car in the right lane was going faster than the front car in the left lane. Since the black car had shifted left when approaching the light, I was expecting that he was going to shift right because he'd made the wrong choice as to which was the faster car.

As I got closer, I got to the point where I figured it was too late for the guy to make the lane shift in front of me. I'd slowed slightly just in case but started accelerating to get around him.

He did the fake lane shift; start, seemed to see me, and stop. But then he decided to shift into the right lane anyway. Since the mail truck hadn't made the right turn yet, I had an escape ready so instead of a hard grab of the brakes, I hit my high beams, tapped my foot brake for the guys behind me, shifted right and rolled by.

Basically I was fully situationally aware. I'd anticipated the driver because of his earlier behavior and was ready to escape, even when I was close.

Up at the light at 7 west, I was in the left turn lane and he was in the left straight lane next to me. I looked over at him and he pretended I wasn't there. Dumbass.

Be careful and be aware.

Carl

Dogsbody
Fri Sep 5th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Okay, this is my first post here. Anyway, title this a rookie's mistake, all my fault - about 16 years ago I was riding with 4 friends headed out to Summit point, WVA for a bike race and we were in some pretty heavy Sunday traffic on a narrow country road. After a while the group took off and passed about 5 cars and slotted back in. The road was still clear but curved up and to the left and I thought I had plenty of room so I dropped down a gear and pulled out (lazily - about 70mph) and started to pass the cars. Just as I did a couple of semis, one after the other, came barreling around the corner. I'm on the center lines with nowhere to go. For a fraction of a second I thought about hitting the brakes and getting back in line but that would be chancy at best, especially if the cager's started to freak reacting to me, so I just kept my cool (so to speak) and stayed where I was, frightened cagers on one side, semis on their horns coming at me on the other. The noise and wind was surreal and what seemed like an eternity later the trucks were past and I then got back in my lane.

Rednarb
Fri Sep 5th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Westbound 470 coming up on Lucent there was ~something~ in the road up ahead. Plenty of traffic but I see about 7 cars up one swerve, and then a couple others behind swerved so I knew there was something in the lane. I could just barely see something in the left side of the lane up ahead so I moved to the right as far as I could. Sure enough the guy in front of me didn't see it until too late and hit it - a huge tire tread. Of course that caused it to fly up in the air, right about chest level. Luckily it stayed in the left lane so it zoomed by and into the car behind me. Had that hit me in the chest I'm not so sure I would have survived the impact much less the carnage that would follow in rush-hour traffic. Whew - glad I was watching my 12-seconds ahead.

UnoMOTO
Tue Sep 23rd, 2008, 10:02 AM
Women....Stop putting your make up on while you are driving!

I had a nice silver durango want share the same lane with me this morning. As I look over to see why the hell my lane was better then hers, she was putting make up on. Damn it, you fat skank hoe! it wouldn't make you look better anyway. :scream1:

[/rant over]

MetaLord 9
Mon Sep 29th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I always say I'm gonna die of cancer, well either cancer or I'm gonna get hit by a bus and well, it almost wasn't cancer!I was on 470 in the left lane just ride'n along w/a couple cars in front of me & the school bus pretty far back. Everyone slows down a little, but not suddenly by any means & I casually look down at my mirrors. I was like "damn that bus seems really close." I looked back down & he'd gotten so close I could see one headlight in each mirror. I was like FUCK!!! I looked back to see if my mirrors were somehow off, nope he was RIGHT there. I looked back starting to look for escapes if I needed 'em & traffic slowed down, I thought to myself "oh shit, here we go...."
The bus got close enough to me that his shadow overtook me. and I was IN FRONT of him... When I saw it overtake me I looked back at my mirrors to see if I needed to split lanes to get away, 'cause we were to that point. I saw him finally start backing off as his brakes kicked in. I turned around on the bike, pointed right at him and gave him the OBVIOUS signal for "You better back the fuck off!" He just wasn't paying attention & I could tell it spooked him 'cause he backed off by about a quarter mile.

The irony is, beforehand, as I was riding in front of him for a couple miles, I thought, "man, what if you DID get hit by that bus? I mean not killed or injured, but SHIT could you sue for stupid money."

Ricky
Mon Sep 29th, 2008, 09:55 AM
My first close call, that wasn't someone else's fault!

I was riding down golden gate canyon on Saturday late afternoon right as the roads were starting to lose sunlight. I was behind another car, so I wasn't speeding or anything. Was probably going about 35. I leaned into a corner and felt the rear end start to slide out from under me. Instinctively, I put my foot down to react to the slide, but by that point it had already regained traction. It happened so fast that I didn't have time to actually react until it was over. Luckily, I stayed up!

SaShWhO
Mon Sep 29th, 2008, 10:08 AM
that's so fucked up!!!
imagine---a schoolbus driver not paying attention---WTF???
I've seen two scoolbuses(one full of kiddos) running bloody red lights:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:
unfuckingbelievable

Spiderman
Mon Sep 29th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I guess you could say I had my first close call on Friday's commute home (even tho I kinda saw it coming and was reacting just in the nick of time)... heading south on 25, right around 58th (I think), I was in the 2nd lane (from the left), and a van changed lanes from the right lane, into the lane beside me - he was just in front of me at that point. I thought he saw me, but apparently not, cuz he started to come over into my lane. I grabbed some rear brake & got ready to grab the front, but he saw me ("at the last second"?), slammed on his brakes, and swerved back into his lane (lots of body roll, almost fishtailing a little). He waved apologetically as I passed, so I didn't flip him off or anything.

dm_gsxr
Tue Sep 30th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Date: 9/28/08
Time: About 10:45am

L
S--------------------------------------------
...............x.................. |
| . . |
| = =. --------- = = . |
| | |W | | | | C |

I'd (C) filled up the bike and was heading to the stop sign (S) and eventually to the light (L). When I was at about the (x), the woman (W) pulled out without looking my way. I tightened my grip on the brake (I was already holding it; parking lot habit) and laid on the horn but she just kept going eventually looking over at me but not stopping.

She was making a left at the light. I gave her a little salute as I went by.

Keeping a wary eye and one hand on the brake is the safest way to travel in a parking lot.

Carl

Spiderman
Tue Sep 30th, 2008, 05:34 PM
WARNING: http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/images/MB/emoticons/rant.gif

:guns: to the fuckers coming off of I-70 onto I-25 southbound this afternoon... you were in such a rush to get into STOPPED traffic, :wtf: that you crossed the SOLID WHITE LINE separating your merging lane from the lane I was in... I saw the first guy do it, and was getting read to slow/stop, but when the guy behind him did it to, almost running into me, I leaned on the horn and watched him as I passed, making sure he heard/didn't continue, but I briefly forgot that I should be stopping at the same time... this was my error, which caused me to have to get on the brakes so hard that I locked up the rear & slid to a stop. I was in 5th or 6th gear still, and had trouble getting back to 1st (ended up starting in 2nd), so the guy that almost hit me prolly thought I was trying to pay him back or something.

I decided I wanted to get out of that lane, and jumped into the right lane (the lane they just merged from... ya, it continues on for another good 1/2 mile or so, and there's hardly ever anybody in it). Anyway, I must have cut off a trucker (sorry), who, because of his vantage point, I'm sure he saw what happened, but probably presumed it was my fault, cuz he honked at me (twice, I think), yelled at me as he passed me, and pushed me back into my old lane... :shock: to you sir, I give you (once again), what I feel you so truly deserve:

:321: ... why don't you do us all a favor and kill yourself?

[/RANT]

dm_gsxr
Mon Oct 13th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Date: 10/13/08
Time: About 6:50am
Conditions: Dawn, wet roads, 34*

Approaching the light on 119 from Hover and it changes to green. I pass a truck about half way through the intersection. It's a tight right turn from 119 to Hover (see arrow)

Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=40.141951,-105.130835&spn=0.007939,0.006802&t=h&z=17)

A little WRX sized car comes shooting out of the turn and into the right lane. Where I am. I'm right next to him and hit the horn *beeeeep* and the little SOB has the nerve to *beeep* right back! :scream1: I shift into the left lane and then to the left turn lane and he's behind me. He left 2 cars of room. I make the turn when the light changes and then the left up to work. Maybe he'll work at the same place I do and will get a little talking to. No such luck though, he goes straight.

I think I was more pissed about him beeping at me as if it was my fault :scream1: Dumbass.

Carl

bikernoj
Fri Oct 17th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Jeez, where can I even begin to list everything? :crazy:

As there are some gret tips here (like making sure you see the driver's face in their side mirrors), I thought I'd just toss out some other observations:

When on a multi-lane highway (C-470 comes to mind) going slightly faster than trafffic, watch for cagers in adjacent lanes tailgating the driver in front of them. I can't tell you how many times those pricks will wait until you are RIGHT NEXT TO THEM before they pull into your lane (without a signal, of course).

Perhaps it's just the sheer number of "close calls" dealt with in the past 6 years, but I find keeping calm in a hairy situation helps out a lot. I have found that a Tahoe and a sportbike CAN fit in the same lane together until the sportbike can get out of the way (courtesy of the blonde bitch with "defective" turn signals).
:cussing:

And of course, remembering that no matter how good you are (or think you are) on the bike, you will LOSE in any situation. Saving your aggression for the track or your XBox instead of that tailgating douchebag in the shiny, lifted Hummer *cough*PENIS*cough* will keep you alive longer, and that's what counts, right? Twist the throttle and put a dozen other vehicles between you & said douche quickly and get on with your ride.

Just my 2 cents.

dm_gsxr
Tue Jan 6th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Date: 1/6/2009
Time: About 6:40am
Conditions: 30* sky just lighting up

Riding behind a garbage truck approaching County Line Road from the east. He's flipped on his turn signal well before the turn to show he's making a right to head down to the Waste Management folks. I can see the back half of a car (including the left turn signal which is flashing) on County Line Road waiting to make a left. I also see a gap in the line of cars coming towards me.

It looks like the gap will line up perfectly with when the garbage truck will make his right turn. Unfortunately the guy in the car can't see oncoming traffic from his left (that's me).

Seeing a perfect setup for an accident involving me running into the side of a left turning car, I stay back instead of accelerating past the right turning garbage truck.

Sure enough, the guy pulls out and I'm about three garbage trucks away instead of kissing the guy through the window. I give him the high beams and continue on to work.

Carl

Devaclis
Tue Jan 6th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I was coming down A-pahoe today, just East of Colorado, where the new construction starts.

I am in the only Eastbound lane, 5 bike lengths behind the SUV in front of me who is going WAAAY over the posted 30 MPH in a construction zone. There is a black Cadillac CTS tailgating me.

Just on the left, coming out of a burbclave, is a white Lexus SUV. She sees an opening in Westbound traffic and tries to blast accross to head East, my direction, in front of me. She FINALLY looks my way, sees me, sees me throw the HIGH beams on, and locks it up. I am far enough back to be able to stop but I am being tailgated. The Lexus jams the brakes and then hits revearse just as I roll by. SAFE.

At the next light (HOLLY) I get off the bike and walk back to the teenage girl driving the Caddy. I signal her to roll her window down. I tell her "You could have just got me killed by tailgating me back there. I was doing 30 in a 30MPH constructions zone with lots of hazzards. I ride this road to work every day, do NOT let me see you again, you will not like the results."

She pulled into the slow lane after the light turned green and stayed way back. I think my helmet cam scared her a bit too as she kept looking into it.

There are a TON of teen kids driving that road each morning heading over to the School on Yosemite and Belleview. I see them doing dumb shit every day.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jan 6th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I was coming down A-pahoe today, just East of Colorado, where the new construction starts.

I am in the only Eastbound lane, 5 bike lengths behind the SUV in front of me who is going WAAAY over the posted 30 MPH in a construction zone. There is a black Cadillac CTS tailgating me.

Just on the left, coming out of a burbclave, is a white Lexus SUV. She sees an opening in Westbound traffic and tries to blast accross to head East, my direction, in front of me. She FINALLY looks my way, sees me, sees me throw the HIGH beams on, and locks it up. I am far enough back to be able to stop but I am being tailgated. The Lexus jams the brakes and then hits revearse just as I roll by. SAFE.

At the next light (HOLLY) I get off the bike and walk back to the teenage girl driving the Caddy. I signal her to roll her window down. I tell her "You could have just got me killed by tailgating me back there. I was doing 30 in a 30MPH constructions zone with lots of hazzards. I ride this road to work every day, do NOT let me see you again, you will not like the results."

She pulled into the slow lane after the light turned green and stayed way back. I think my helmet cam scared her a bit too as she kept looking into it.

There are a TON of teen kids driving that road each morning heading over to the School on Yosemite and Belleview. I see them doing dumb shit every day.

What --- no HORN?

Devaclis
Tue Jan 6th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Oh, I used the HORN :) The high beams work better in low light conditions.

dirkterrell
Tue Jan 6th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Way to stay aware and actively analyze the situation guys. That's exactly what we have to do to stay alive.

Dirk

Devaclis
Tue Jan 6th, 2009, 08:21 AM
What irritates me is that I was doing what they instruct in and profess in the safety courses. If you are being tailgated, slow down and create a bigger gap in front of you. I was doing this and she was STILL all over my ass. Not even a car length back. I was signaling for her to back up but she ignored me. It helped me be able to avoid a situation in front of me but it created a dangerous situation behind me. I need a rear facing camera.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jan 6th, 2009, 08:25 AM
What irritates me is that I was doing what they instruct in and profess in the safety courses. If you are being tailgated, slow down and create a bigger gap in front of you. I was doing this and she was STILL all over my ass. Not even a car length back. I was signaling for her to back up but she ignored me. It helped me be able to avoid a situation in front of me but it created a dangerous situation behind me. I need a rear facing camera.

You need a rear facing RPG and a 500 million candle power light. :twisted:

DeVeck
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 01:49 PM
You need a rear facing RPG and a 500 million candle power light. :twisted:

I wish I had a freakin RPG...all Mad Max style...

I actually do Keep a Crown royal bag filled with rocks on me. I won't risk my ass because someone is being a dipshizzle. Just throw some rocks over your shoulder and laugh...People in Fremont county have a nasty habit of not respecting bikers. I think in Canon City alone there were 7 accidents last year involving drivers not paying attention to bikes or driving like idiots...most were sport bikes...one was a cop...go figure...

Jim_Vess
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I wish I had a freakin RPG...all Mad Max style...

I actually do Keep a Crown royal bag filled with rocks on me. I won't risk my ass because someone is being a dipshizzle. Just throw some rocks over your shoulder and laugh...People in Fremont county have a nasty habit of not respecting bikers. I think in Canon City alone there were 7 accidents last year involving drivers not paying attention to bikes or driving like idiots...most were sport bikes...one was a cop...go figure...

That's a great way to get your ass thrown in jail, or run over, or shot, or ...

Throwing stuff at cars is going to cause more problems than it will solve.

DeVeck
Fri Jan 9th, 2009, 06:32 PM
That's a great way to get your ass thrown in jail, or run over, or shot, or ...

Throwing stuff at cars is going to cause more problems than it will solve.

I know, it was meant in good humor. :) I do have a bag of rocks...but I've only been forced once and I really was thinking the driver was trying to run me down. actually...I know a few riders who do that down here...

to keep with the thread theme, I was once on highway 50, coming back from pueblo. It was right after they changed the speed limit to a constant 65. It was sunset so I was doing about 10 under. to much bug splatter on my screen to see (I forgot my glasses). This pick up, filled with timber chunks comes tearing past me. he freakin switches lanes like he's in nascar and a handful of the wood comes flying out. I hit the breaks and start to fishtail...I actually took one to the screen before I came to a stop.

CSP comes flying past and pulled the guy over. turns out he was drunk as a skunk and as I'm letting my heart slow, I see him start throwing wood chunks at the cop before he was taken down...LoL

Crashdaddy
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 08:55 PM
"What irritates me is that I was doing what they instruct in and profess in the safety courses. If you are being tailgated, slow down and create a bigger gap in front of you."

Not bashing the MSF in any way here, but that piece of advice in the BRC student handbook is one that I disagree with. I understand what they mean, and attempt to explain it in every class I teach, but I think times and drivers have changed since that was written (and I give my opinion to students). The plan obviously assumes the tailgating driver will slow down as well, creating a larger space cushion for you.

Backing off certainly gives you more room in front, but you are reacting to a driver that is already tailgating you. So they are already in a hurry and don't give a rats ass about you and your safety. So you slowing down and delaying their Starbucks appointment even more will do nothing but enrage them.

In my opinion, get the hell away from them. Whether that means accelerating, changing lanes, turning off and waiting for them to go by...what ever. One of my goals in traffic is to find the best follower I can. Obviously you want undistracted, halfway intelligent drivers next to you and in front of you, but try to move around in traffic until you find that driver to have behind you that is not a dumbass.

Just my 2 cents

dm_gsxr
Fri Feb 27th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Date: 2/27/2009
Time: About 6:40am
Conditions: Chilly, sky lighting up

Sitting at the light waiting to make a left towards 287. Crossing traffic light changes to yellow (it's a long light so most folk are watching so they can get ready to go). Crossing light changes to red. There's a 2 to 3 second pause and my light (left turn) turns green.

As a matter of habit, I take a quick look as the light changes and before going and sure enough, this morning a woman in a car comes from the west and blows straight through the light.

And it's not a "holy crap, I need to make this light" or "yak yak yak" on the cell. It's just, "hmmm, a red; well fuck it, I'm not stopping."

I've been seeing this way too often these past few months which is why I'm on the watch and why I'm not injured or dead.

Carl

CanAm
Sat Feb 28th, 2009, 07:01 AM
In my opinion, get the hell away from them. Whether that means accelerating, changing lanes, turning off and waiting for them to go by...what ever. One of my goals in traffic is to find the best follower I can. Obviously you want undistracted, halfway intelligent drivers next to you and in front of you, but try to move around in traffic until you find that driver to have behind you that is not a dumbass.

Couldn't agree more about finding the the best follower. I commute from Fort Collins to Del Camino (Longmont exit) on I25 in nice weather. Invariably I find the safe followers in the right lane. If someone starts getting too close behind me I put my left hand down, palm back, and wave for them to back off - very politely. They almost always comply. In the left lane lane this doesn't work so well. The left lane is the passing lane (by law) and the impatient people are all trying to pass everyone else. If you leave a large gap there, even keeping up with traffic, they assume you are going too slow and will ride up your ass. So as said above, just get the hell away from those people however you can. There's no winning a battle with a car.

Wockilla
Sat Feb 28th, 2009, 09:02 AM
This happened to me just last Thursday in Boulder.

Date: 2/26/2009
Time: About 8:30pm
Conditions: Warm, Clear sky night

I was going up to Taco Bell on baseline and I was in the left lane, with a car in the right lane, right next to me, doing 40mph in a 40 zone. Anyways, there are some college tower dorms just before 30th on the right/left depending on which way you are going, so this time they were on my left, as I was approaching I saw a Toyota 4runner pull up across the way to turn out left and go West on baseline, I was fast approaching her and I saw that she saw me so I didn't prep the brakes at all, as I was probably less then 50ft away from the opening for her to turn, she looks at me one last time and GUNS it, by the time she got to me I was less then 10ft away from her, I locked up my rear brake and fish tailed, somehow kept the bike up and laid on the horn....to no avail. She didn't even seem to register that I was there.

I ended up following her up to broadway and baseline, that merge lane, we have the red, traffic is going North on broadway at 40mph, I stop at the yield, and she just blows right through it, over 2 lanes of traffic and damn near gets rear ended by another MUCH bigger SUV (Think it was a suburban), anyway he had to lock up his brakes and BARELY missed her. At this point I followed her long enough to get the license plate and then pulled over and called 911. I asked for the police officer to call me later to let me know if they caught her and they did, and she was drunk.

Scared the hell out of me, I believe that if I had been going even 5mph faster, or had been 5 seconds faster she would have hit me broadside and there wouldn't have been anything I could have done about it because of the car on my right side.

Crashdaddy
Sun Mar 1st, 2009, 07:40 PM
As all of us have to deal with idiots in their minivans and SUV's, I was quite shocked today on Lookout Mountain. Riding by myself, trying to stay clear of bicyclists. On the way down I was in the groove, enjoying the weather, the lack of sand, and my trusty Gixxer.

Coming down the series of switchbacks on the north side of the mountain, I was set up for a right hander. Since I am always looking, I did notice a couple sportbikes on their way up. We met at the apex of the right hander. The bad thing was the kid on the F4I with the scantily clad girl on the back was about 3 feet into my lane:scream1:. Coincidently right where I was. I could see his eyes as big as frisbees, but he did not react other than to freeze up:shocked:.

I was very lucky to already be riding a sensible pace, and have my body positioning pretty far into the corner. Somehow I was able to increase lean angle and miss them, and then of course I had to try and not run off the inside of the turn. We all made it. Thankfully.

I was not in a very gracious mood afterward:cussing:, so decided I would just continue down the mountain. Best for everybody. I will tell you my friend, I would gladly spend some time with you in a parking lot going over vision/body positioning/and cornering. NO CHARGE. I might not be so lucky next time, or even worse, my wife might be riding next to me.

Take me up on it. Learn to ride before you kill me, yourself, and your girlfriend.

REV'IT!
Sun Mar 1st, 2009, 11:24 PM
Hello, I've been ridding for about a month. Been having problem on cornering specially right hand turn, need some help on body positioning, etc. How much do u charge for a class?

Crashdaddy
Mon Mar 2nd, 2009, 01:30 AM
Hello, I've been ridding for about a month. Been having problem on cornering specially right hand turn, need some help on body positioning, etc. How much do u charge for a class?

Have you taken the Basic Rider Course? Do you have your endorsement? What bike are you riding that you are having difficulty with?

Since I don't know the answers to those questions, I'll just give you an opinion. Take the BRC if you have not. If you have, I would recommend an Intermediate course. Is a few of the exercises from the BRC, but on your bike.

If you don't want to do that, take an ERC. That is also on your bike.

I would tell you to take the Total Control class, but if you have only ridden a month I think you would be better served by taking one of the other ones I mentioned. Get 3000 miles or so on your bike, and then take the Total Control class. But don't go out and ride 3000 miles feeling the way you do right now. Get into a class.

I can give you more details such as pricing if you are interested in one of the classes. Just PM me, and I'll get back with you.

Ride safe!

DeVeck
Thu Mar 5th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Ok, so this isn't exactly a close call, but its so funny

My girlfriend at the time and I went on a little get away to Cripple creek. I was in that ally a little past the back entrance of Bronco Billy's and pulled into this little parking lot to turn around. What I didn't realize was the Foot high drop off right in front of me. So as I dropped down I ended up into the side of an old red SUV, almost knocking my girl off the bike and leaving a nice long green streak down the side of the car...Ooops. I tried to find the guy inside but couldn't...

I find my retardation and lack of observatory skills funny.

dirkterrell
Mon Mar 16th, 2009, 10:51 AM
16 Mar 2009 ~7:30 am

Coming westbound in the lefthand lane on Arapahoe Rd in Boulder approaching 48th St. where the hospital is, just east of Foothills Parkway. I see a car in the intersection waiting to turn left so he's got my attention but there is a car in front of me and several to my right so he's not likely to turn.

Approaching the light, I see that the crosswalk lights are flashing so the light is going to change soon. I check behind me and there is a WRX at least 150' or so behind me. Plenty of room if I need to stop for the light but I'll keep my eye on him. With the guy waiting to turn left, I don't want to blast through the intersection.

The light changes and the guy in front of me speeds on through it but I decide to brake. It's a quick stop but nothing major, maybe 50% of capability. The light would be red when I'm in the intersection and I don't want to spar with the guy waiting to turn left.

Back to the mirrors to check on the Subaru and I'm wondering whether he's braking at all. If he can't stop, I can move into the crosswalk in front of the car to my right. He's getting bigger in the mirror and I see he has the surgically attached left hand, cell phone, ear combination. I decide it's time to move into the crosswalk and jump on over. I hear the screaching tires and he slides through the crosswalk and into the intersection. That would not have been pretty.

Pay attention and know your escape routes.

Dirk

OUTLAWD
Mon Mar 16th, 2009, 11:03 AM
16 Mar 2009 ~7:30 am

Coming westbound in the lefthand lane on Arapahoe Rd in Boulder approaching 48th St. where the hospital is, just east of Foothills Parkway. I see a car in the intersection waiting to turn left so he's got my attention but there is a car in front of me and several to my right so he's not likely to turn.

Approaching the light, I see that the crosswalk lights are flashing so the light is going to change soon. I check behind me and there is a WRX at least 150' or so behind me. Plenty of room if I need to stop for the light but I'll keep my eye on him. With the guy waiting to turn left, I don't want to blast through the intersection.

The light changes and the guy in front of me speeds on through it but I decide to brake. It's a quick stop but nothing major, maybe 50% of capability. The light would be red when I'm in the intersection and I don't want to spar with the guy waiting to turn left.

Back to the mirrors to check on the Subaru and I'm wondering whether he's braking at all. If he can't stop, I can move into the crosswalk in front of the car to my right. He's getting bigger in the mirror and I see he has the surgically attached left hand, cell phone, ear combination. I decide it's time to move into the crosswalk and jump on over. I hear the screaching tires and he slides through the crosswalk and into the intersection. That would not have been pretty.

Pay attention and know your escape routes.

Dirk

Did you happen to have any post non-incident words with said subaru driver? :scream1:

Whenever I'm coming to a stop, I keep an eye in the mirror and keep it in first just incase I need to take some evasive action...

tarded400
Mon Mar 16th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Too bad the left turner didn't plow into him.

dirkterrell
Mon Mar 16th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Did you happen to have any post non-incident words with said subaru driver? :scream1:

I used sign language. http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/images/goofy.gif

Too bad the left turner didn't plow into him.

He had already gone on through.

Dirk

OUTLAWD
Tue Mar 17th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Watch out for the cages on 36...going from estes to lyons, almost met the grilles of a suburban and a saturn in two different turns...

I was in the far tire track, near the white line, and they were entirely in my lane, the suburban passing three wide, and the saturn was just in my lane for no good reason...good thing I wasn't going that fast, moved over, and still had time for the :321:

Zach929rr
Tue Mar 17th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Watch out for the cages on 36...going from estes to lyons, almost met the grilles of a suburban and a saturn in two different turns...

I was in the far tire track, near the white line, and they were entirely in my lane, the suburban passing three wide, and the saturn was just in my lane for no good reason...good thing I wasn't going that fast, moved over, and still had time for the :321:

Yikes!! Happy I didn't meet any of that sheit today on 36. Sorry I forgot to give you a ring when me and Will stopped in Estes :D

Wintermute
Tue Mar 17th, 2009, 11:44 PM
36 sucks after work, you really gotta watch the commuters in their gotta-get-home-gotta-get-home frenzy.(Too bad these people don't get bikes, maybe they'd relax and enjoy the road like us.)

I was behind a bus up by Lefthand, a car behind me, and some asshole road-rageaholic in a Benz comes ripping around the car behind me and cuts in between me and the bus. There was all of 20' of room for him.

mopoet178
Sun Apr 12th, 2009, 06:20 PM
My closest call...

Place: Road K20, north side of Lawrence KS
Time: 9am ish morning commute
conditions: partly cloudy and ~70 degrees
when: early august 2008

I was returning from Tonganoxie, KS from visiting my sister and bro-in-law. On the old 1979 Suzuki GS550E, I knew it would take me a day and a half anyway and figured I would take the more scenic route 24 instead of the interstate.

About an 45 minutes after leaving, I turned up K20. A couple miles later, on a really mellow left hand turn, I saw this small honda econocar lazily just tangent of the curve and into my lane about 150 yards in front of me :shocked:. He is going full speed at 55mph and so am I. At this point I cover the brake and lightly squese. I decided not to emergency stop yet, for some unknown reason.

He kept going straight and crossed my lane about 100 yards in front of me and dove into a 7' irrigation ditch. Still full speed, never any brakes in this, he continued along the ditch until he was about 50 yards in front of me when he hit the culvert of the driveway that crossed the ditch. At this point, he hits the driveway and goes about 10 feet airborne and rotates the car 1/4 of a (yaw) rotation. I pass by him at about 40mph about the time he starts to decend. When he hits the ditch on the other side of the driveway, he does one complete barrel roll and comes to a stop right-side up.

Now is when I hit the brakes hard and hook a u-turn. When I got out, another witness had allready called 911, so I went for the guy in the econocar. He had found his way out of the passenger door and had a huge scoop shaped flap of scalp on his forehead, evidently from the steering wheel. I gave him a shirt from my luggage to keep pressure o his forehead and kept him concious while the other witness directed traffic.

The ambulance showed up ~8 min later, police soon thereafter. The cop figured he fell asleep at the wheel, and I concur. I filled out accident report and went on my way.

So, If I had been 5 seconds earlier, I would have been completely creamed. I have no idea to this day why I didnt hit the brakes. Maybe just the predictability of his path dictated that braking was just unnecessary, I dont know. there was some shrapnell alongside the wreckage, but nothing that would have taken me out.

So I figure I have filled my close call quota for a while :crazy:....

mtnairlover
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 05:52 PM
Never thought I'd be posting in here, but I guess it's only a matter of time.

So, I'm only one block away from home (yeah, one damn block...figures, huh?) and I'm approaching an intersection that has a stop sign on the East/West road, I'm going North/South and will turn left on that East/West road. I'm getting close and slowly letting off the throttle when I notice a car approaching the stop sign on the East/West road. I'm thinking to myself, "Dang, he sure is flying!" So, I let off the throttle completely and cover my brake. As we both approach the intersection, at the same time, I realize the guy is not gonna stop at all, so I begin to grab my brake and come to a quick stop, right before getting into the intersection and the guy doesn't even notice me until he's half-way through and then realizes what he's done and slams on his brakes. I'm thinking, "Oh yeah, now you decide to stop!" Um...had I not grabbed brake, I'd be his hood ornament now.

Sheesh!:banghead:

Snowman
Fri May 8th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Ok so this morning on the way in…
I was heading south on Parker Road past Orchard. I was in the middle lane and traffic was moving along around 55mph the posted speed limit.

A black Lexus was coming up fast on my left, he was just cruising his way through traffic. Then he crossed into my lane, no signal, and right next to me. I had a truck in the right lane so giving him room was not an option.

With him moving faster than I was, I grabbed brake to let him cross in front of me. Luckily there was no one behind me. Once by I hit him with my ear cannon air horn, which immediately got his attention putting his Lexus into a slide.

Yes, he was sliding sideways down Parker at about 70+mph coming up on the stacked left turn lane at Lewiston Way. He caught the slide but over compensated the other way and came to a stop in the intersection. Amazingly, he didn’t hit anyone and at worst flat spotted his tires.

Now, if I wouldn’t have hit my air horn he might not have over reacted as he did. But I’m also sure he had no idea I was in that lane and if I wouldn’t have spotted him weaving his way through traffic behind me, he would have pinned me between him and the truck.

I’m not sure the right thing to have done was hit the air horn on him but he was very close when he cross into my lane.

CanAm
Sat May 9th, 2009, 01:30 AM
I’m not sure the right thing to have done was hit the air horn on him but he was very close when he cross into my lane.

Strictly speaking, the horn should be used to warn someone to avoid an accident, not to show displeasure for something that happened. But when someone almost kills another, I think they should know it. The fact that the guy lost control at the sound of your horn only proves how oblivious he was to what was around him. If he had hit someone it would have been because of his recklessness, not your horn. IMO. Hopefully the guy learned something and will adjust his driving for the better.

Horsman
Sat May 9th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Old Hampden and Login:
last night at about 6:30pm
heading northbound -
I was coming down the hill noticed a guy in his car not paying attention waiting to make a left hand turn from
the strip mall parking(near safeway). I know he wasn't paying attention because he was looking right the whole time while he was pulling out to make a left hand turn. The whole incident was like it was in slow motion. HE never once turn back to look to left where I was. Luckily, I romped on it and zipped right pass him before he totally closed out my lane (almost took me out).

Atleast I was close to the Swedish Hospital -
NEXT ITEM FOR MY BIKE -AIR HORN.

RAGrote
Tue Jul 21st, 2009, 02:46 PM
First new bike (1975 Honda 750F), first ride, going to get gas - a classmate made the left turn in front of me.

That's when I learned you can skid BOTH tires and NOT fall down.

I clamped on both brakes, front end skipping along (1975 - what damping?), rear end slides out to the right and heads toward the rear quarter panel. No choice but to let off on the rear brake. Ass end of the bike jerks back into line and JUST misses the rear of the car.

I go back - and she's sitting on the side street bawling like a baby.
17 yr old... Frightened her pretty bad. I didn't even have time to get an adrenaline rush.:(

They only got closer from there until I stopped riding like I wanted to die!!:crazy:
Hooah?

Motodrew
Tue Jul 21st, 2009, 02:53 PM
First new bike (1975 Honda 750F), first ride, going to get gas - a classmate made the left turn in front of me.

That's when I learned you can skid BOTH tires and NOT fall down.

I clamped on both brakes, front end skipping along (1975 - what damping?), rear end slides out to the right and heads toward the rear quarter panel. No choice but to let off on the rear brake. Ass end of the bike jerks back into line and JUST misses the rear of the car.

I go back - and she's sitting on the side street bawling like a baby.
17 yr old... Frightened her pretty bad. I didn't even have time to get an adrenaline rush.:(

They only got closer from there until I stopped riding like I wanted to die!!:crazy:
Hooah?

Did ya get her number? :slap:

kawasakirob
Tue Jul 21st, 2009, 03:36 PM
Almost every time I go out for a ride their is usually a close call. If not every day, atleast once a week.

RAGrote
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 09:29 AM
Did ya get her number? :slap:

Didn't need to - 104 in my graduating class and most of us were together from Kindergarten on. Yeah... small town.

tarded400
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 03:06 PM
Ha!!! 104?? We had 13!

Wyck
Thu Aug 20th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Last night on the way to bike night leaving my neighborhood. Going north on Downing approaching the light at Evans. One lane in each direction except for the left turn lane onto Evans. There is a line of cars in the one lane and noone in the turn lane. I cut into the turn lane a little bit early and a lady pulls out of the safeway parking lot through an open space in the line of cars into the turn lane and directly into my path. I brake hard and move to the very outside edge of the lane narrowly missing being sideswiped by her and running into the car going in the opposite direction that had just turned from Evans onto Downing. She gave me the apology wave when she realized she had almost just hit me. Moral of the story she couldn't see me through the line of cars so I should have been looking for her there and expecting her to do that. Luckily if something bad had happened there was an ambulance stopped at the light.

Spiderman
Thu Aug 20th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Good reaction & nice save, but ya, gotta watch for those ones being let thru!

MetaLord 9
Thu Aug 20th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Keep your eyes up & be aware kids! Look out b/c we're just starting to get into cold tire weather too.

On the way outta bike night last night I was behind a beemer get'n on 470E from Broadway N we weren't going that fast & I don't recall consciously cracking the throttle open, but the cold tires plus a bit of road dirt (beemr kicked some up too) caused my rear to lose traction. It kicked out what felt like a foot to somewhere between 7 & 8 o'clock. Just kept the throttle even & front pointed the direction I'd been going & the rear stepped back in. no highside or drop & I got to go about my merry way, but the exit ramps off of broadway seem a lot more slick after bike nights, so watch your traction!

whitebrad
Fri Aug 21st, 2009, 01:36 AM
so i am headed down colorado blvd to work... about 11:30 at night, and i see a rav-4-like creature coming out of one of those shops on a hill. he is stopped on the downhill slope. i ride in the middle lane most of the time to avoid the turn ins as much as i can, and so i think, when i see this fuckin fuck is that he is gonna be one of those fucks that turn into the middle lane.

so i get over into the far left lane and this fuck proceeds to turn into the middle lane. well, glad i got all the way over here, is what i am thinking as i am coming up on the car, truck, whatever it is... midway through patting myself on the back, and when my front wheel is even with his back wheel, and i realize that he is still coming over into my lane, rather fast... a fkin 3 LANE TURN? the oh shit bell goes off in my head and before the fuck hits me i bury the rear brake and start pullin hard on the front, and i guess had a little bit of dodge going when i notice the rear end is starting in a slide to about 4ish o'clock, and an apparent lowside on the way. still in the throttle, i jam my left foot down and the rear tire grabs, and the ass end gets back in line pretty fast with the bike seemingly launching itself back upright...

so the footpeg slams into my shin and proceeds to scrape its way to about my knee... pretty deep gash...
ffked up thing is my adrenaline is absolutely out of control at this point and i point my nose in between this rav 4 and a burban and go... i mean i am really going... way past those fuckers and i am still going... pass an unseen cop who promptly pulls me over...
i get off the bike and explain to this officer that man i almost just died, and some fucker almost got to tow my bike home in his wheelwell... my hands are shaking like a detoxing crackhead and my knees are fuckin rattlin... give the cop my info and he goes back to the car... he comes back and talks to me... tells me i need to relax, and looks at my plate, says hold on... goes back to the car as i fire up a coffin nail...
cop gets outa his car and comes back over... cool as hell... we talk for a second, him telling me i need to find a better way to ease off my adrenaline cuz i was absolutely flying... i said i know, because i really do, because flying down colorado could make that near miss into a fatality... and i get no ticket...

damn cool officer... good little talk, gave good advice and said in his line of work he understood adrenaline dumps and said you just have to cool yourself down or it could be curtains (my paraphrase...)

anyway and all that being said...

hi, my name is whitebrad and i am glad to be here...

Matty
Fri Aug 21st, 2009, 07:05 AM
On the way outta bike night last night I was behind a beemer get'n on 470E from Broadway N we weren't going that fast & I don't recall consciously cracking the throttle open, but the cold tires plus a bit of road dirt (beemr kicked some up too) caused my rear to lose traction.

but the exit ramps off of broadway seem a lot more slick after bike nights, so watch your traction!

It wasn't dirt. It was water. Both Dean and I got a lil sideways when we hoped on the 470 on-ramp as well.

MetaLord 9
Fri Aug 21st, 2009, 07:32 AM
It wasn't dirt. It was water. Both Dean and I got a lil sideways when we hoped on the 470 on-ramp as well.
Well some of it was definatley dirty b/c I saw the beemer in front of me kick up a cloud as we both hit it.

whitebrad
Fri Aug 21st, 2009, 07:39 PM
I left pretty early and there was dirt and sand all through that little trough you have to pass through to get on to the east bound 470... it was still sunny when i left, and i saw it and even slid a little... it was very soft like going into sand

Davy4575
Sun Sep 27th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Time: summer of 2000
Where: Monroe WA
Weather: Sunny for a change

Was a beautiful morning, heading out the some of the local roads, very rural area, and the pavement conditions are usually crappy at best. I had a 91 VFR 750. (Sport tourer is an oxy-moron). The bike usually held it together pretty well, but would get out of sorts occasionally.

I was coming into a sharp right hand on a farm road, barbwire fence right up against the road way, no shoulder to speak of. I slowed down considerably. Midway through the corner I rolled on the throttle pretty hard, but not as hard as I have previously in the corner at other times. The front end catches the ripples in the pavement, while still leaned, the front end starts to wallow like a stuck pig. The bike begins to oscilate front to back. friggin horrorendous. Not wanting to set the front end down with the mother of all tank slappers happening, I rolled on the throttle hard enough to get the front end to smooth out. This in turn caused or seemed to cause the back end to drift some. I got the front back down on the ground, but was in the oncoming lane by this point. If there had been a car there, I would have been toast, and at fault.

After pulling off in the nearest driveway and chainsmoking with shaking hands, i came to 2 conclusions. One, I hated the unpredictability of that bike, so I sold it. (not until I went down on it due to a sudden hail and snow storm though) Two. if riding with 20 to 30 percent in reserve netted this, I should ride with 40 to 50 percent in reserve.

husky390
Mon Nov 8th, 2010, 08:12 PM
SR51, Phoenix Arizona.
Was fairly new to riding and was tailgating a car in front of me. Suddenly everyone slammed on their brakes and the car in front of me swerved out of our lane only to reveal a roll of used carpet that fell out of some jackass' truck. I didn't have time to check the other lanes nor due to my rookiness have an escape route. I slowed down as much as I could, down shifted two gears and just at the last moment before hitting it I gave it gas and hopped it like a dirtbike going over a log in an enduro. Had to pull over and get my nerves back after that.

Also had someone cut me off pretty bad on the same freeway and the funny thing is some people in a car behind me saw the whole thing and started running the offender down and cussing him out and flipping the bird. It was pretty entertaining.

Stank Juic3
Wed Nov 10th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Sewers r shitty "nuff said"

rccarver
Mon Nov 22nd, 2010, 06:59 PM
This is probably a "duh", but I always follow in either of the tracks of the car in front, figuring that he'll straddle anything, plus you'll pick up fewer tacks, screws etc.

Finklestein87
Mon May 16th, 2011, 07:41 AM
One of my first rides here, somwhere near the Mt. Evans road (It was still closed) I nailed a pothole with my front tire - while in the middle of a turn. I almost got flung off my bike, but somehow managed to hang on.

Tylar
Mon May 16th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Last Friday I was SB on I-25 just before University when a red Dodge Neon literally blew oil all over. They were second lane in from the fast lane, I was about 500 yds behind. Anyways, hear a pop, smoke everywhere and you can see fluid spray underneath the car. Neon slams on the brakes and evasively bolts for the wall on the inside. When I saw the smoke, I immediately went to the slow lane-side of the highway. The close call was the chick in the Durango behind me was too busy texting during all of this and had I stayed in my lane (behind the oil spill) she'd have continued texting while shoving me into the hard-braking Neon. :w00t: The Neon swerved into the wall-lane about the time that the Durango would've either hit them or had to swerve to avoid an ass-pounding.

Bad technique or not, but this is generally why I prefer to be going just a few mph faster than the flow of traffic. I'd rather be the overtaker than have distracted drivers overtaking me....and they be required to notice and consequently avoid me.

cptschlongenheimer
Mon May 16th, 2011, 09:21 AM
...this is generally why I prefer to be going just a few mph faster than the flow of traffic. I'd rather be the overtaker than have distracted drivers overtaking me....

I too feel safer when going oh so very slightly faster than the general flow of traffic... it seems easier to spot and keep an eye on the erratic drivers and seems to keep people off my 6... anybody have other points of view on this?

GuitarX
Mon May 16th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I too feel safer when going oh so very slightly faster than the general flow of traffic... it seems easier to spot and keep an eye on the erratic drivers and seems to keep people off my 6... anybody have other points of view on this?

I actually think about this whenever I'm riding on the highway. I feel much more in control when I'm going slightly faster than the cars next to me. I'm guessing any traffic cop worth his salt (especially a moto cop) would understand the reasoning.

One reason for this feeling of extra control, I think, is that it takes you out of the other drivers' blind spots much more quickly. I also never ride next to an 18-wheeler. Get the hell out of there as fast as you can.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon May 16th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Hmmm, I'd thought I'd posted in this one about my unintentional "lane splitting" between 2 diesels going opposite directions back in the day, but I don't see it, maybe it was lost in the server crash?

AOK303
Mon May 16th, 2011, 09:21 PM
monday may 16th

Turning into a parking lot today and some guy in the lot sees me and instead of waiting bolts in front pass his stop sign i was at a turn angle lucky i was going like 5-10 mph at that time i saw him/heard his engine so i braked hard which i know is not good in a turn using front and rear being under 10mph i figured i would be ok rather then have him crush my front end but slid on the gravel couldn't get my foot to the ground fast enough that the bike slide like 5 feet scratched my frame slider only... wooo

ok its not life or death close close call but the bike is less then a month new to me so im pissed he did see me and knew i had the right away and saw i slide he took off cutting off another car then speed away

any input on turns on gravel would be great i guess i should know

Tylar
Mon May 16th, 2011, 09:33 PM
monday may 16th

Turning into a parking lot today and some guy in the lot sees me and instead of waiting bolts in front pass his stop sign i was at a turn angle lucky i was going like 5-10 mph at that time i saw him/heard his engine so i braked hard which i know is not good in a turn using front and rear being under 10mph i figured i would be ok rather then have him crush my front end but slid on the gravel couldn't get my foot to the ground fast enough that the bike slide like 5 feet scratched my frame slider only... wooo

ok its not life or death close close call but the bike is less then a month new to me so im pissed he did see me and knew i had the right away and saw i slide he took off cutting off another car then speed away

May not be life ending, but a 400 lb bike landing on your leg and you can snap an ankle or a bone or two in your lower leg. Good on ya for the sliders...$80 puck saved you a couple hundy in plastics.

Swift
Tue May 17th, 2011, 10:37 AM
monday may 16th

I was turning into a parking lot today and some guy in his vehicle exiting the lot saw me and instead of waiting he decided to bolt in front of me past his stop sign. Luckily I was at a turn angle and only going like 5-10 mph at that time I saw him/heard his engine so I braked hard (which I know is not good in a turn) using front and rear but being under 10mph I figured I would be ok rather then have him crush my front end. Unfortunately I slid on the gravel, couldn't get my foot to the ground fast enough, and the bike slid like 5 feet. Only scratched my frame slider... wooo!

Ok, its not "life or death" close call, but I've had the bike less than a month so I'm pissed he did see me, knew I had the right away and saw me slide. He took off cutting off another car while fleeing the scene.

Any input on turns with gravel would be great.
First of all, fixed.

Second, that dude is a douche.

Third, gravel and street tires are a shitty combination. Some of us learned to ride on dirt so gravel slides are somewhat easy to correct for depending on the situation. Think of it this way: If your ass end slides left, start turning your bars left and look in the direction of the slide. Keep your body weight balanced to compensate for the loss of grip and slowly let the throttle go loose. If you don't keep it balanced right or turn to sharply, you could risk high siding which is a hell of a lot worse than a low side. Don't apply brakes on gravel unless you have a feather light touch (which still sometimes isn't light enough). Most of the time the bike will figure itself out after you've gone back to clean pavement and you'll be fine.

OUTLAWD
Tue May 17th, 2011, 02:15 PM
you've gotta have the thing pretty damn crossed up if you are correcting with the bars...if you want to ride like a boss on shitty surfaces, look up american supercamp

Swift
Tue May 17th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I had a moment like that about 2 months ago. Was going around a right hand corner passing a truck towing a trailer doing about 50ish in a 50 zone when I came up on a tanker stopped in my lane right at the end. Driver was just putting cones up. Locked up the rear tire from pressing a little too hard on the rear brake and had to turn the bars to counter the slide. I let the front brake go loose and kept the rear pressed so the rear didn't catch and make me high side. Kept it under control and got behind the truck I was originally going to pass.

I blame the driver for stopping his tanker at the end of a blind corner. Regardless, MSF training with my dirt experience kept me from laying the bike down. Situations like that are purely down to reaction time and experience. Without it, you run into situations like AOK303 experienced and lose control. The situation I ran into, you can't make shit like that up. It just happens and you handle it.

Finklestein87
Tue May 17th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Third, gravel and street tires are a shitty combination. Some of us learned to ride on dirt so gravel slides are somewhat easy to correct for depending on the situation.

Same goes for riding on ice. Its amazing how much you learn about traction, the feeling of it, and bike movement with those types of riding styles. I'm still a total newb rider, but after a few hours riding a dirtbike on the ice, I feel much safer and much more aware if my tire slips riding on the street.

BC14
Tue May 17th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I had a moment like that about 2 months ago. Was going around a right hand corner passing a truck towing a trailer doing about 50ish in a 50 zone when I came up on a tanker stopped in my lane right at the end. Driver was just putting cones up. Locked up the rear tire from pressing a little too hard on the rear brake and had to turn the bars to counter the slide. I let the front brake go loose and kept the rear pressed so the rear didn't catch and make me high side. Kept it under control and got behind the truck I was originally going to pass.

I blame the driver for stopping his tanker at the end of a blind corner. Regardless, MSF training with my dirt experience kept me from laying the bike down. Situations like that are purely down to reaction time and experience. Without it, you run into situations like AOK303 experienced and lose control. The situation I ran into, you can't make shit like that up. It just happens and you handle it.
Why were you passing in a corner, a blind corner at that?

Bueller
Tue May 17th, 2011, 08:21 PM
All these dirtbike riders and no dirtbikes?

OUTLAWD
Tue May 17th, 2011, 08:31 PM
this one time I rode a minibike through a mud puddle...does that count?

and FWIW, I recall the MSF training stressing standing the bike up, then braking as hard as possible with the bike upright, not panic locking the rear wheel mid-turn :dunno:

AOK303
Tue May 17th, 2011, 08:43 PM
At the point I could of stood up he would of hit me in the tank he was nor more then a foot in front of me

OUTLAWD
Tue May 17th, 2011, 08:52 PM
not referring to your incident...referring to the blind corner passing MSF trainee

Swift
Tue May 17th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Why were you passing in a corner, a blind corner at that?
Because I have balls of steel
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/09/duke_nukem_returns.jpg

this one time I rode a minibike through a mud puddle...does that count?

and FWIW, I recall the MSF training stressing standing the bike up, then braking as hard as possible with the bike upright, not panic locking the rear wheel mid-turn :dunno:
Wasn't a panic lock. I had only had my bike for 2 weeks prior to this happening so I was still getting used to the brakes. 90% of the time I never use the rear brake but considering my position in relation to everyone else, I figured it would be better than standing the bike up and trying to MSF brake before smashing into the side of a good sized pickup truck.

Keep throwing the "You're just a newb fucktard" questions at me. I love this game. :w00t:

OUTLAWD
Tue May 17th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Keep throwing the "You're just a newb fucktard" questions at me. I love this game. :w00t:

no flaming here...just wondering how your "MSF training and dirt experience" kept you from crashing whilst sliding around in the gravel...

the MSF course I took covered no such situation/manuevers...unless I just don't recall, which may very well be the case, because I think I was severly hungover for the riding portion of the course

Swift
Tue May 17th, 2011, 10:26 PM
no flaming here...just wondering how your "MSF training and dirt experience" kept you from crashing whilst sliding around in the gravel...

the MSF course I took covered no such situation/manuevers...unless I just don't recall, which may very well be the case, because I think I was severly hungover for the riding portion of the course
The MSF portion I was talking about was maximum braking. I just remember the "If you lock the rear wheel, don't let the brake go" popping into my head. If I had let it go, the position I was in most certainly would have ejected me from the bike when the tire caught traction again. The dirt was down to sliding. There wasn't any gravel on the road to cause the slide. Would I have done the same thing with a true sport bike? Probably not, but the bar set up I have is similar to moto so I guess instinct just took over when I felt the rear tire swinging left.

BC14
Wed May 18th, 2011, 02:01 AM
Flaming here...just wondering how your "MSF training and dirt experience" kept you from crashing whilst sliding around in the gravel...

Fixed:gay:

BC14
Wed May 18th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Because I have balls of steel
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/09/duke_nukem_returns.jpg

That should explain a lot right there.

MetaLord 9
Wed May 18th, 2011, 07:21 AM
can't wait to see this thread fill up with lane splitting close calls :rolleyes:

Swift
Wed May 18th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Dude, I was so close to nailing some dude's mirror that my bike pissed oil after we passed by yo. Damn son. Talk about close call bro.

rfranks303
Mon Jun 13th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Msf just saved my life. I was goin south on downing just after bates when the car I was following turned left without looking. When She turned into oncomming traffic the car the on comming car turned into my lane to avoid her I was able to brake swerve and piss a little all at the same time. My brain froze but by body reacted all in all the two cars involed are a beat up but I'm without a scratch this was by far my closest call on a bike.

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Jun 13th, 2011, 06:50 PM
SFB took my lane tonight with her fat ass suv. On the phone, never looked over. But I'm awesome and divined the potential so I lived.

Swift
Tue Jun 14th, 2011, 12:36 AM
I met head on with an out of control mother f$%#er tonight on the way home...

http://www.cirrusimage.com/Moths/american_dagger_moth_04.jpg

Nasty son of a bitch flew right into my eye. Fortunately I'm not an idiot and had my night riding glasses on under my helmet (I ride with the visor open at low speeds at night).

koru
Tue Jun 14th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I was riding around kinda without any gear on :squid:. I always wear my gear but today was so nice i just wanted to cruise around town and just chill on my bike. was taking a turn onto highway 85 and something cut my rear tire and i mean slashed it like a three inch hole and all the way through the tire. I was able to keep her up and not lay it down and I felt lucky but it just goes to show you shit happens anywhere . I was only about three blocks from home what a sad day.:cry:

norcolmille
Wed Jun 15th, 2011, 01:06 PM
can't wait to see this thread fill up with lane splitting close calls :rolleyes:

can we now - legally - do lane splitting in Colorado. I could only do it in California

Kevin
Wed Jun 15th, 2011, 09:00 PM
can we now - legally - do lane splitting in Colorado. I could only do it in California

Since when?? Link to your source?

Swift
Wed Jun 15th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Since when?? Link to your source?
He's asking if we can.

We CAN'T...Legally :no:

Kevin
Wed Jun 15th, 2011, 09:30 PM
He's asking if we can.

We CAN'T...Legally :no:

Ha I read "Can we now" as "We can now"! :banghead:

Wishful thinking I guess...

AOK303
Thu Jun 16th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Had what ever that white floating flower/weed/cotton fly up into my helmet and into my eye just not one piece but a huge chunk stuck to my eye. Happen at the worst point of my ride, right as you start the turn on the 6th to i25 north ramp. Not gonna lie i entered the other lane unknowingly as i tried to blink/blow air from my mouth to get that shit out ended up loosing a contact and almost turned too sharp into the left retainer wall would of had the truck coming from behind in that lane crush me. oi Visor was down didn't think something like that would happen.

luckily my contact fell out pulling the shit from my eye and i was able to straighten out oi Freaked me out for the rest of my ride to where i needed to go then home. not being able to see is way easier in a car then on a bike

TransNone13
Thu Jun 16th, 2011, 01:16 AM
I was on trying to get on I-25N via a left hand underpass. The light just turned to yellow and the car in front of me was going for the cheese so I planned on following. Then a police cruiser stopped at the light coming the other direction and the car in front of me slammed on the brakes to stop. I was boxed in so swerving wasn't an option. Things slowed down and I thought "I can either slow myself down enough and hit the car to minimize damage or I can grab some brake and pray." I ended up hard braking for a couple feet then grabbing. I put the bike in a stoppie nearly at about 11 o'clock 8" from the rear bumper. Dropped down, fought it from falling over, then took some huge breaths. Probably my closest call, and yes I will admit I was largely at fault for putting myself in that situation.

Jmuduke3140
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:41 AM
This is from the taste the rainbow ride yesterday 8/21.

Came up on two cars going 20 under on 119 from nederland to boulder. keep in mind it was pouring rain. attempted to pass, but saw traffic coming the opposite direction. so I tried to slow down and merge between the two cars. as I crossed the double yellow my rear wheel slid out from under me about three feet to my left. I corrected the slid by easing off the throttle and steering into the slide. my rear wheel regained traction and swung under me causing the front end to shake. I thought I was going to high side. so I took the weight off of the front end by getting back on the gas. the front end stabilized and then I proceeded to piss myself. here's a tip, NEVER ride in the rain....I was extremely lucky

Ted
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 11:53 AM

Came up on two cars going 20 under on 119 from nederland to boulder. keep in mind it was pouring rain. attempted to pass, but saw traffic coming the opposite direction. so I tried to slow down and merge between the two cars. as I crossed the double yellow my rear wheel slid out from under me about three feet to my left. I corrected the slid by easing off the throttle and steering into the slide. my rear wheel regained traction and swung under me causing the front end to shake. I thought I was going to high side. so I took the weight off of the front end by getting back on the gas. the front end stabilized and then I proceeded to piss myself. here's a tip, NEVER ride in the rain....I was extremely lucky

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/entries/icons/original/000/000/346/969638-cool_story__bro_super.jpg

BC14
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 11:55 AM

hmm, better move to Texas or something. Or get better tires, or do some more wet riding to improve those skills.........

Zach929rr
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 12:15 PM
"never ride in the rain"

10/10 would laugh at again

grim
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 12:29 PM
"never ride in the rain"

:lol:

Bueller
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 12:52 PM
"never ride in the rain"

lol'd

yea, the rain was definitely the problem :lol:

Jmuduke3140
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 02:21 PM
Well if the road had been dry my tire wouldn't have slid out. and being only 5 weeks into riding and the first time in the rain I think I did pretty well considering..

grim
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 02:38 PM
Well if the road had been dry my tire wouldn't have slid out. and being only 5 weeks into riding and the first time in the rain I think I did pretty well considering..

And here we go....

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h54/irishrussianpunk/962833_o.gif

begin....

Sleev
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:04 PM
I'll stick to snow

cptschlongenheimer
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:29 PM

So...
You've been riding all of 5 weeks and during your first time in the rain you're trying to pass multiple cars on a double yellow? Do I have that right?

Might as well do 190 with your balls out. IMO.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h54/irishrussianpunk/962833_o.gif

You're getting some mileage outta that gif.

grim
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:31 PM
So...
You've been riding all of 5 weeks and during your first time in the rain you're trying to pass multiple cars on a double yellow? Do I have that right?

Might as well do 190 with your balls out. IMO.

You're getting some mileage outta that gif.

Hells yea man but only because people keep giving me reasons to use it!!

OUTLAWD
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:43 PM
so after navigating safely through yesterday's rain, I stopped to grab some food and libations. being that the establishment was close to the location of the new member meet-up, I decided that a few drinks were OK...when I left, being that my destination was close, I did not put my gloves on. on the way to the meet-up a bee hit my ungloved hand, right on the finger!

I almost got stung...whew...what a close call.

BC14
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:48 PM
so after navigating safely through yesterday's rain, I stopped to grab some food and libations. being that the establishment was close to the location of the new member meet-up, I decided that a few drinks were OK...when I left, being that my destination was close, I did not put my gloves on. on the way to the meet-up a bee hit my ungloved hand, right on the finger!

:slap: :lol:

Vellos
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
At IMI last Friday a bee flew into my helmet. Yeah that was fun.

grim
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:56 PM

don't get used to it...the donuts allowed me to meet my one kind act for the riding season quota...only trolling/hating from here on out

^^^YUP :lol:

Vellos
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Despite three cars in one day almost pulling in front of me I haven't felt the needs to bitch about cagers. But today...

I was headed north in the right lane up Folsom and I was going slightly faster than a yellow-barf colored wagon in the left lane a couple car lengths up ahead. I was just nearing him as we passed through the Canyon intersection as a Del Sol from the oncoming traffic made a left turn immediately after the wagon passed, where he discovered me, and swerved to avoid potential t-boneage (that's a word right? ;) ). Only thing I didn't like about the incident was that I never saw the Del Sol beforehand because at the speed I was going nearing the wagon wagon the guy was out of line of sight the entire time, as him for me.

I blame it on the wagon for not being in the right #@&*ing lane because he got over and made a right turn up ahead anyway.

WolFeYeZ
Sat Sep 17th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Despite three cars in one day almost pulling in front of me I haven't felt the needs to bitch about cagers. But today...

I was headed north in the right lane up Folsom and I was going slightly faster than a yellow-barf colored wagon in the left lane a couple car lengths up ahead. I was just nearing him as we passed through the Canyon intersection as a Del Sol from the oncoming traffic made a left turn immediately after the wagon passed, where he discovered me, and swerved to avoid potential t-boneage (that's a word right? ;) ). Only thing I didn't like about the incident was that I never saw the Del Sol beforehand because at the speed I was going nearing the wagon wagon the guy was out of line of sight the entire time, as him for me.

I blame it on the wagon for not being in the right #@&*ing lane because he got over and made a right turn up ahead anyway.

Odd, that situation I always seem to look out for. I thought it was normal to look out for even :P

SouthPaw
Sat Sep 17th, 2011, 11:37 AM
I've done this twice this season and both times have been very close calls. Both times I have gone to dinner on my bike. After dinner I always forget to let the tires warm up and take left turns a little to fast. The back tire slides out from me, I cut the the throttle to keep from lowsiding which in turn makes me almost high side, and to top it off then the death wobble happens. I have been fortunate enough to always keep the bike up and not go down.

Though one time I did make a left turn after leaving my house without the tires warm and did a perfect drift. I felt like a badass haha

Vellos
Sat Sep 17th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Might want to try less shitty tires.

SouthPaw
Sun Sep 18th, 2011, 12:13 AM
I run D.O.T. slicks. I ran regular street tires for awhile and they just don't grip like I want them too. Doesn't matter the type of tire if you hop on your bike and try to drag a foot peg within 30 seconds of riding you will probably end up with the same results.

Bueller
Sun Sep 18th, 2011, 06:50 AM
I run D.O.T. slicks.

BC14
Sun Sep 18th, 2011, 07:24 AM
I run D.O.T. slicks. I ran regular street tires for awhile and they just don't grip like I want them too. Doesn't matter the type of tire if you hop on your bike and try to drag a foot peg within 30 seconds of riding you will probably end up with the same results.
Um, do you keep tire warmers on the bike, ala MotoGP? :roll:

Vellos
Sun Sep 18th, 2011, 10:28 AM
That has to be the stupidest thing I've heard all season.

SouthPaw
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Say what you want but ever since I have been riding I have literally picked up a screw in my rear tire every year. Never fails and after awhile buying a $200 2CT everytime (which I used to run) got pretty expensive.

A friend of mine told me about a Dunlop Motorcycle Rep that was near by and had some tires. They are a lot cheaper and if I pickup a screw its not that big of deal. They always have a ton of life left in them and at $50 installed I am quite happy with them. I don't ride in the rain, or really cold weather or any another time that might cause a problem for the tire I run. I know quite a few people who do the same thing I do and are happy.

SouthPaw
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I guess "slicks" probably wasn't the best term to use but this is the tire I currently have:

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=94

MetaLord 9
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Say what you want but ever since I have been riding I have literally picked up a screw in my rear tire every year.
pick up your garage floor more often. :D

UglyDogRacing
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 01:29 PM

you gonna try some of them dot slicks on your ninja 250?

Bueller
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I really want to :yes:

mistykz
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Yesterday there was a mercedes pulled over on the wrong side of the road (my right, his left) along with a bunch of other cars properly parked. Right before I get to him he decides it's a wonderful idea to just whip back out into traffic without looking...right into me. Luckily there were no cars in the other lane and I swerved around him, and the dick has the balls to honk at me then give me the one finger salute. Gotta love 'em.

OUTLAWD
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I guess "slicks" probably wasn't the best term to use but this is the tire I currently have:

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=94

the GP-A's are nice, but if you want the best, opt for the UK spec GP's...sources tell me your local dunlop rep has a stack of them ;)

Vellos
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I don't ride in the rain, or really cold weather or any another time that might cause a problem for the tire I run.

:idea:

The back tire slides out from me, I cut the the throttle to keep from lowsiding which in turn makes me almost high side, and to top it off then the death wobble happens. I have been fortunate enough to always keep the bike up and not go down.

SouthPaw
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Does anyone care to explain what I am missing here? I know some people don't agree running the tire that I do but didn't think I was going to get this much shit for it:dunno:

Bueller
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Does anyone care to explain what I am missing here? I know some people don't agree running the tire that I do but didn't think I was going to get this much shit for it:dunno:
I think what you are missing is firstly DOT race tire are not slicks, which you have realized, secondly, race tires make poor street tires because they never heat up to their optimum operating temps on the street. Thirdly, a lot of people do ride in rain, and cold temps which makes race takeoffs a less than ideal tire.
I run them sometimes because they are cheap but I always keep in mind what I have on there.
I actually race on street tires and they work very well when you get the pressures dialed in for the track and temp of the surface.

SouthPaw
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 10:00 AM
pick up your garage floor more often. :D

I wish it was that easy :). I usually come home and go out the next day to ride it to find a flat.

SouthPaw
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I think what you are missing is firstly DOT race tire are not slicks, which you have realized, secondly, race tires make poor street tires because they never heat up to their optimum operating temps on the street. Thirdly, a lot of people do ride in rain, and cold temps which makes race takeoffs a less than ideal tire.
I run them sometimes because they are cheap but I always keep in mind what I have on there.
I actually race on street tires and they work very well when you get the pressures dialed in for the track and temp of the surface.

:applause: Thanks for the info.

I know they are the most "ideal" street tire but you already stated some of the reason why I run them. Like I said no rain riding, or cold weather. Maybe if my luck starts to change I will just start going bike to a street tire.

Spiderman
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 11:00 AM

Sure, you or I probably wouldn't have been in the left lane if we knew we were making a right hand turn up ahead, but he wasn't in the "wrong" lane - the "Keep Right Except To Pass" law only applies on highways:

42-4-1013 (1) - Passing Lane (Left Lane Law) " A person shall not drive a motor vehicle in the passing lane of a highway if the speed limit is sixty-five miles per hour or more unless such person is passing other motor vehicles that are in a nonpassing lane or turning left, or unless the volume of traffic does not permit the motor vehicle to safetly merge into a nonpassing lane."

Source: Colorado State Patrol website FAQ (http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/StatePatrol-Main/CBON/1251594549056)

07919Dave
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Sure, you or I probably wouldn't have been in the left lane if we knew we were making a right hand turn up ahead, but he wasn't in the "wrong" lane - the "Keep Right Except To Pass" law only applies on highways:

It would be nice if they would fucking enforce it every now and then. They enacted the law and thats was it. I have never seen any one pulled over for it. The strech of 25 between COS and CR is the worst for dumbasses staying in the left lane doing 60 or below. But then again most cagers in this state need to learn how to read the damn speed limit sign to begin with. They either do 10-15 under or 15-25 over.

Spiderman
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 11:58 AM
It would be nice if they would fucking enforce it every now and then.
+1000

cptschlongenheimer
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 01:04 PM
It would be nice if they would fucking enforce it every now and then... I have never seen any one pulled over for it...

+1 bajillion!

Last week I saw a trooper light up a prick who was camped out doing 60 in the left lane on hwy36 (65 mph zone). As soon as the dumbass got to the right, the trooper shut 'em off and passed... WTF??! :cussing:

The penalty for improperly using the left lane is equivalent to speeding 20 MPH over the limit. Is it that much easier to write a speeding citation? :confused:

Spiderman
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 03:01 PM
The penalty for improperly using the left lane is equivalent to speeding 20 MPH over the limit. Is it that much easier to write a speeding citation? :confused:

It might just be easier to prove the speeding (or more likely that the offender will try and fight a left lane violation). :dunno:

Last week I saw a trooper light up a prick who was camped out doing 60 in the left lane on hwy36 (65 mph zone). As soon as the dumbass got to the right, the trooper shut 'em off and passed... WTF??! :cussing:

AFAIC, it doesn't matter if you're doing 5 under or 20 over in the left lane, if there's nobody in the right lane that you're in the process of passing, you're in the wrong lane.

cptschlongenheimer
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I was just pissed that the cop didn't follow up and write the citation or at least inconvenience them with a traffic stop and a warning. (to drive home the "keep right" message)

IMO if they enforced the right lane law even half as aggressively as they do speed limits, a fair amount of road congestion would be alleviated as would the things that go with it (road rage, pollution, accidents)

Vellos
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 09:48 PM

I'm well aware of the law. It was a joke since there really was nobody to blame for the incident. But I must say I don't like people who cruise for ten blocks in the left lane and then last minute squeeze (especially during traffic) to the right to make a turn.

LivingPools
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 12:11 AM
Since I've just returned from a trip and saw this thread, thought I'd share my close call in western Colorado.

Date: 09/19/2011
Time: 3:30 PM
Conditions: Clear, moderate traffic, numerous big vehicles

Found this intersection on Google Maps. If it isn't the exact one, its pretty darn close: http://g.co/maps/dtz3m

Southbound on CO-491, 65 MPH speed limit, one lane in each direction. I'm flowing with traffic at or just above the limit. Vehicle ahead of me with a good space cushion, no traffic behind me. Northbound traffic is an RV leading an assortment of vehicles, off in the distance. On the right, residential road with a stop sign and a car obviously waiting to turn left. As soon as the vehicle ahead of me passes the intersection, the left-turner pulls out in front of me.

What I did: Began braking and beeping horn, long on, short off, then beep long again. Don't remember how much braking pressure I applied. The car stopped dead in my lane, petrified. I realized I wouldn't be able to stop in time, and that the oncoming lane was clear for a few more seconds. Swerved into the oncoming lane, around the car. Pretty sure the RV braked to give me additional room.

What I could have done better: Stopped to eat. Didn't like the looks of the restaurant in Dove Creek, but I could have eaten stuff I had packed in my luggage or got something quick at the gas station. Consequently, I was feeling slow, tired, and hungry. I think this lead to all other errors that followed, such as: not covering the front brake, not being more wary of a left-turner, not turning on the high beam for additional visibility, not being aware of how much front brake pressure I was applying, etc.

Spiderman
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:51 AM
:shock: Damn... that could've ended a LOT worse!! Glad it didn't. Did you buy a lottery ticket?

I'm well aware of the law. It was a joke since there really was nobody to blame for the incident. But I must say I don't like people who cruise for ten blocks in the left lane and then last minute squeeze (especially during traffic) to the right to make a turn.
Ah, sarcasm. :up:

SouthPaw
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 08:31 AM
Since I've just returned from a trip and saw this thread, thought I'd share my close call in western Colorado.

Thank God they didn't really panic after they stopped try to make the turn after you had to go in the wrong side of traffic.

LivingPools
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 07:47 PM
Thank God they didn't really panic after they stopped try to make the turn after you had to go in the wrong side of traffic.

Agreed, pretty lucky thing all the way around. Ideally I would have taken action to be noticed or been on the ball enough to completely stop before reaching the turning car.

FZjake719
Fri Sep 23rd, 2011, 07:12 AM
Thats happened to me more than a couple times.... never any fun, for sure. Definitely one of those things that'll pucker the 'ol poop shoot!

MystikalAznEpic
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Date: 9/24/11
Time: Around Noon

Me and my friend just got done riding up canyon and made a quick pit stop in Nederland so he can fuel up before we made our way to Blackhawk. On our way out out of the gas station, a silver Subaru Impreza Hatch cut us off at the roundabout. I didn't think of it of anything at that moment but a female driver must have been in a hurry to get somewhere so we just cruised behind them. We give the driver a 4 second lead and were just going at the normal speed limit. Then out of nowhere the freaking driver just hits their brakes out of nowhere! Even with 4 seconds we didn't have enough time to slow our bikes down and i was leading. I locked up my rear brakes and doing so helped me scoot to the right side of the Subaru before i regained control of my bike and was able to pass on the left. I honestly thought I was gonna go down or slam into the Subaru. My buddy thought i was going down and went to the right of the Subaru and ended up having to lane split between the Subaru and an oncoming SUV. The freaking driver of the Subaru was about to miss their turn onto HWY 132 and slammed on their brakes. We ended up pulling over about a 1/2 mile up and had to shake it off and check my bikes rear tires. Stupid driver, they need to pay more attention around them and signal and brake with enough time to let people behind them know they are going to turn.

CanAm
Wed Sep 28th, 2011, 06:01 AM
The lesson here should be defensive riding, not hoping all other drivers will suddenly become competent. In that same traffic circle one day I had one driver stop in the middle of the circle and wave at me to enter ahead of her, then at the next leg of it another car entered and cut me off. They both had it completely backwards.
Now you said you were four seconds back from that Subaru. That is an eternity - well, about 20 car lengths at 50 mph. If that were true you should have had no problem.
As I read in a motorcycle magazine once, the key to survival is to treat every car driver like motorcycle-hating homicidal maniac. Assume they will try to kill you the second you let your guard down. That may be extreme and detract from your riding pleasure, but practicing it to some degree will help you avoid incidents like you had.

FZjake719
Wed Sep 28th, 2011, 07:24 AM
The lesson here should be defensive riding, not hoping all other drivers will suddenly become competent. In that same traffic circle one day I had one driver stop in the middle of the circle and wave at me to enter ahead of her, then at the next leg of it another car entered and cut me off. They both had it completely backwards.
Now you said you were four seconds back from that Subaru. That is an eternity - well, about 20 car lengths at 50 mph. If that were true you should have had no problem.
As I read in a motorcycle magazine once, the key to survival is to treat every car driver like motorcycle-hating homicidal maniac. Assume they will try to kill you the second you let your guard down. That may be extreme and detract from your riding pleasure, but practicing it to some degree will help you avoid incidents like you had.

Agreed. well put!

BC14
Wed Sep 28th, 2011, 07:39 AM
+1 :up: That's the way you gotta think to stay "ahead", or at least not dead.

MystikalAznEpic
Wed Sep 28th, 2011, 05:31 PM

thanks for the advice. I'll start watching out more often.

FZjake719
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Had an interesting evening on the bike yesterday. Dont know if it was "national idiots driving day" or what....?

So, its about 615-630 ish, tail end of rush hour. Im headed to the Hooters on the north side of town to take my room mate a costume she forgot (yes, my room mate is a hooters girl. No, I wont share). Im headed northbound on i25, moderate traffic levels, nothing crazy. Im in the left hand lane, near the inner stripe, riding next to a family filled minivan. As I pull up next to the van, I can see the driver is talking on his cell phone, which immediately makes me more attentive of course. So, I decide to pull up next to the window while waiting for an opening to safely get around and away from him, figuring he'll surely see/hear me. Well, I was wrong. After riding next to him for maybe 45 seconds, I notice the fan starting to merge on top of me. I start to honk, and go toward the shoulder with no success in getting his attention, at all. In fact, he's looking into the right lane, merging left.....(read:idiot). Long story short, there is now a size 11, alpinestars f1 shaped dent on his drivers door.

Anywho, chaos/death/destruction averted, I continue on my trek northward to the land of chicken wings, boobies, and bums. As Im turning onto the street where Hooters is, I notice a pickup truck about 75yds in front of me, attempting to make a left turn accross traffic in front of me. I cover the brake, just in case, and sure as sheit idiot #2 pulls right out in front of me. all the while making eye contact with me, SMILING, and pulling out in front of another car traveling in the opposite direction. Needless to say, I told him he was #1, and continued on.

Im looking forward to chicken, beer, boobies and bum now. And hoping its worth the trouble of nearly becoming a hood ornament, twice.

So, I made it to Hooters successfully. I've enjoyed my free beer and boneless wings, and turns out the dangerous trek was definitely worth the gold at the end of the rainbow. Now, its time to make the journey back to my end of town.

As Im leaving, a friend calls me, and says he's at the tattoo shop getting some ink done. The artist thats doing it, is a family friend and my artist as well, so I figure, "what the hell, I'll stop by and watch him squirm a bit". I jump back on i25, head down to uintah, jump off and hit the shop on union/boulder. On my way home from leaving, Im southbound on Union just past Memorial park setting up to go through a fun s-turn like section. As I scan ahead a bit, I see a dually, with a trailor, looking like he wants to pull out(this guy is also turning left, accross traffic. Just like the other guy earlier on). SURE ENOUGH! Idiot #3, very, VERY slowly starts inching his way out into the street, slowly enough that he even has the time to smile, and wave at me (you know, they typical "It's ok! Im an idiot!" wave so many people do when they cant drive, as if that makes it ok. As a result of him pulling out, I wound up in a dead stop in the middle of the street, along with a few other cars also traveling my direction, and the opposite alike. When I think about it, I realize im somewhat lucky the rest of traffic was paying attention. Had they not been, I could have very easily been hit from behind, pushed into/under the dually/trailer combo, and nothing more than a stain on the asphalt....

Like I said, an interesting night.... to say the least.

Now, Im not an idiot rider, I dont speed like crazy and all that, ride like im invisible, constantly keep my brake levers covered, constantly scan ahead, ride with my brights on, etc..... Just proof that if you arent on your game paying attention, you could wind up on the bad end of a situation.

Ride safe everyone, keep it sticky side down!

cptschlongenheimer
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Had an interesting evening on the bike yesterday. Dont know if it was "national idiots driving day" or what....?

God, it sure seemed like it!:crazy: I had my right of way taken an inexplicable number of times yesterday. :mad:

CraigB
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 01:28 PM
9/27/11
Approx 8:30 am
Westbound on 18th St in the City Park West neighborhood

18th street is one of the major veins into downtown and it gets very busy during rush hour.

I was in the center lane and noticed a car in the right lane about a half a block up the road was turning right at the next intersection. Two or three cars were behind the turning car and were slowing as they came up to the turning car.

Thinking that one of them may suddenly change lanes to go around, I slowed to 15 or 20 mph. And, sure enough, one of the cars swerved into my lane less than a half car length in front of me. I beeped the horn and I could see the surprise in his eyes when he looked in the rearview.

What was really frustrating was that, after he swerved into my lane, he proceeded to drive 10 mph below the speed limit for several blocks until I could finally go around him.

CraigB
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 01:37 PM
...84th Ave seems to be the most dangerous. I've almost been hit 3 or 4 times by people coming on to 84th East from I25N. They've got a yield, and people tend to rush across to the left lane of 84th...

I am pretty sure there is NOT a yield sign for traffic coming from the off ramp.

I point that out just so that others are aware. The problem is definitely the drivers who cut straight across to the left lane without looking and I am not trying to suggest otherwise.

DemonRider
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I am pretty sure there is NOT a yield sign for traffic coming from the off ramp.

Back then (2007) there was, it has since been removed but it was there until about 2010, a car took it down in an accident there and they just never replaced it!

But very much agree that area is one of those spots for sure. I try to avoid it as much as possible.

CraigB
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Back then (2007) there was, it has since been removed but it was there until about 2010, a car took it down in an accident there and they just never replaced it!

But very much agree that area is one of those spots for sure. I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Ah, that's what I get for replying to a post that's 4 yrs old. Didn't notice the date on it. And, I didn't realize there was once a sign there.

Wrider
Sat Apr 21st, 2012, 05:08 PM
Figured I'd revive this one with a close call I had today... Damned near got some air time because of a Civic driver... I'm not innocent, nor will I claim to be in this situation, but here's what transpired.

I was on a cruise from the Springs to CRock with another forum. Only bike in the cruise. Everyone else was moving up ahead, but I was riding very conservatively and had fallen back a bit. I decided to catch up. Left lane was blocked by dude doing 70 and 3 other cars behind him. Right was clear. Dropped 2 gears and throttled it just as left lane hits the brakes. I thought "No problem, right's clear, here I go!" I'm up to about 80 and the Civic driver swerves out of the left lane about 10 yards ahead of me, still fully on the brakes (to the point he's weaving), and was already down to 60 MPH.

I hit the brakes as hard as I've hit them on this bike. I could feel the front trying to lock up, foot was on the rear, body was as low as I could get it to keep from doing a nice stoppie into the back of dude's car.

Finally dude lets off the brakes, gets going again (in the clear right lane), my heart re-starts, and he gives me an "apology wave". I shook for about 5 minutes after that, and almost kicked his door as I went by him.

I honestly thought for about 5 seconds there that I was going to be doing a beautiful impression of an eagle over his car.