PDA

View Full Version : Riding Pants

havoc
Sun Sep 16th, 2007, 03:37 PM
I would appricate any imput on pants leather or textile pros and cons etc Thank you.

Bueller
Sun Sep 16th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Pretty open ended question, leather is better and more expensive.

Lomax
Sun Sep 16th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Yes, PLEASE wear pants while riding. :slap:

Marc

havoc
Mon Sep 17th, 2007, 12:07 AM
ok no more ducking details, with so many manufactures out there I need to narrow it down a bit... Have a Alpinestars jacket in textile Shark helmet gloves etc all that jazz but pants are a new area for street always wore blue jeans with knee guards, still ride in the dirt and the msr equipment serves the purpose nicely..fox helmet msr chest protector gloves alpine stars boots msr pants etc. has saved the bacon during a high speed endo across a wheat feild at 70 + mph when hitting a rut when a xr400 landed on the melon. got up brushed off the dust and checked for blood and went on riding that day.. with that in mind would like to have the same type of gear for the street..I do not plan on laying it down etc but would like to know the whole story not what a salesperson lays out there any imput is greatly appricated.. Thank you..

towneh
Mon Sep 17th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I went down in a high speed slide with a hard impact a la jerzy barrier in a good fitting Joe Rocket Meteor/Blaster 2pc that faired quite well (collapsed lung/puncture wound). The pants are scuffed but are still being used. The coat was damaged but they cut me outta it anyway! I replaced the coat with the same... Nolan modular(replaced)/Ti-Max gauntlet/a'stich combat boots.

something hadda give.... bus_henry

Lomax
Mon Sep 17th, 2007, 12:05 PM
OK I will try and be serious for a second. Hey it could happen. :)

I have found that most of the top brands are very good for protection and comfort while riding. Some of my favorites are First Gear, Cortech, and Alpinestar. I even have some Icon gear that I like very much.

Leather will offer the best protection but not being a gear geek I would say for you to get what fits, what is comfortable, And most important what you will wear. There are some very good textile pants out there that are much better than jeans or shorts. It will do you no good if you always leave it home in the closet.

Give Motogearoutlet a try as they are one of my favorite local shops.

Marc

havoc
Tue Sep 18th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Thank you for the help its appreciated! Havoc

pilot
Tue Sep 18th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Pretty much every crash that I have been in, seen or seen the results of proves out that one piece, properly fitting race leathers are the best for overall protection: Hence the requirements set forth by the MRA and other racing associations.

Even racing leathers can be subdivided into different levels of quality. A general search of the internet can reveal a reasonable selection of details surrounding distinctions associated between varying types and qualities of protective gear.

As for textiles, one crash tends to tear them up and expose the underlaying materials. For some reason I have even seen riders out the next week with the same torn-up gear??? I'm starting to wonder if this is a "badge of courage"?

For the most part, I have hung up my textile gear. Only on rare occasions will I wear jeans--although they may be comfortable, they do only marginally better than a pair of cut-offs when crashing or for that matter just laying the bike on one's leg at the gas station.

havoc
Mon Oct 1st, 2007, 01:51 PM
Thank you Pilot for the imput, helps narrow the focus.

Havoc

elbromisto
Mon Oct 1st, 2007, 08:15 PM
Leather gear is repairable in many cases, which functionally reduces the price.

InlineSIX24
Mon Oct 1st, 2007, 08:20 PM
Leather is better protection, but being able to remove the liner and open the vents on pants is nice too.