PDA

View Full Version : Brake noise

Marauder
Mon Sep 17th, 2007, 11:39 AM
I am having a problem with the front brake squealing to a stop at slow speeds. Sometimes, hot or warm, I hear nothing. Other times, it's that "Wah, Wah, Wah" as I slow to a stop. Had this problem with a '91 Saturn and added some brake quiet to the pads. Not sure what to do about this problem with a bike. Bike only has 18K on it and, the last time they were checked, pads looked fine (or so I was told). Any ideas?

Nick_Ninja
Mon Sep 17th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Could be debris in the pads (small rock et.al.) You could swap out the pads or clean them. The "Wah Wah Wah" could be a warped rotor.

Devaclis
Mon Sep 17th, 2007, 11:44 AM
That normally happens when the pads start to turn gay. It happens all the time on Kawi's.

It could be the indicator tab on the pads meaning your pads are in need of replacement. It could be the pad vibrating on the caliper (maybe need new shims)

Nick_Ninja
Mon Sep 17th, 2007, 11:57 AM
That normally happens when the pads start to turn gay. It happens all the time on Kawi's.

It could be the indicator tab on the pads meaning your pads are in need of replacement. It could be the pad vibrating on the caliper (maybe need new shims)

My ghey Kwacker rolled fine through the wetness yesterday. It has super mechanical powers that your HonDUH fails to posses. :twisted:

DucWise
Mon Sep 17th, 2007, 12:57 PM
If your brakes are clean (you've cleaned them) and in good working order (within spec) and they are still squealing you can try taking the pads out and using a light grit paper or emory cloth to remove any glaze. Then make sure you re-seat them in properly afterwards. Or sometimes you can use a "brake quiet" grease or shims on the back side of the pads to remove or reduce squealing.

There's a lot of things that could cause squealing... start simple and work your up ;)

pf702
Mon Sep 17th, 2007, 01:27 PM
You have a couple choices:
1) Deglaze your rotors
2) Blow out existing brake dust with compressed air
3) Purchase EBC Double H-High friction Pads and get used to one finger stops at 120mph !!!

Marauder
Tue Sep 18th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will give it a go.